CLT to TLV

Old Jun 5, 2023, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
And doesn't BA fly to TLV from LHR in 320's with faux first class ala CE?
Sometimes. Right now, it is a 772 and 789.

​​​​​​EDIT: guv1976 beat me to it.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
Sometimes. Right now, it is a 772 and 789.

​​​​​​EDIT: guv1976 beat me to it.
Hands down I'd rather fly a CW heavy to TLV even if it's longer flight than a 320 euro style IB plane from Madrid.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Hands down I'd rather fly a CW heavy to TLV even if it's longer flight than a 320 euro style IB plane from Madrid.
Not much longer: According to the Great Circle Mapper, LHR-TLV is only 26 miles longer than MAD-TLV. (Of course, taxi times at LHR could be longer than taxi times at MAD.)
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Care to elaborate? As someone who's been to Israel numerous times and connected several of those times in Europe, I've never found the connection to be a big deal.
2 of the 3 times I connected in Europe (MAD and either FRA or MUC) they were extensively screening most passengers, especially those at the gate early (lesson learned there). Removing everything from carryons, etc. In MAD it was especially bad, they were also going through documentation, forcing everyone to prove they had a return ticket, and the like. I had my carryons taken from me and searched without me present for what seemed like forever. The 3rd time (either FRA or MUC) wasn't nearly as bad, but needing to go through the security process again was a PITA, and I lost liquids I had acquired post-security in the US. Some of this may be carrier (LY) specific. In contrast, flying UA out of EWR, I've experienced nothing more than a cursory wanding. As I said, YMMV.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by ikwia
2 of the 3 times I connected in Europe (MAD and either FRA or MUC) ... As I said, YMMV.
Definitely. I did BOS>FRA>TLV some time ago and the FRA>TLV segment (on a 744 even!) was like any other when boarding. No extra security that I recall.

BOS>FRA was on A346 and glad to see those have been returned to service. A really nice aircraft.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
was especially bad, they were also going through documentation, forcing everyone to prove they had a return ticket, and the like

There is a bit of drama here. Israel wants to see/confirm that visitors plan to exit the country. A copy of the flight out is all that is needed and should be easily available in your travel docs. Other countries such as New Zealand also have this requirement. Nz may ask for a hotel reservation for the night you enter. Other countries want paid stay information before granting a visa. Understanding the requirements of entering a country is travelers responsibility. I've traveled to Israel for over 40 years through pretty much every European and American connection and some more unusual ones including Johannesburg and Amman and the process has only gotten simpler and easier over the years. That said there are valid arguments to connect in North America or Europe that make sense for each traveler or trip.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 11:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
My last trip a year ago, on the return to the US, my employer went to great lengths to get me a "security letter" which I was supposed to wave at the initial security officer.

I forgot about it due to the deafening pandemonium that is the pre-security departures hall at TLV after 19:00, but no problem. I don't know why they bothered going to the trouble. After I checked my bag I was through security and in the gross old Dan lounge reasonably quickly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.