Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Charged UK APD on LHR connection (<24 hours, international to international)

Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

In late April, I flew BER-LHR-SEA. I applied a SWU to LHR-SEA. AA charged me an APD, which should not apply as the UK connection was six hours, international to international. I've requested a refund (via customer relations), AA replied and said "The $126 is for the Great Britain Air Passenger Duty tax since you departed from LHR. The tax is applicable and no refund will be processed."

I'm correct that nothing has changed on international itineraries connecting in the UK and the APD, right? (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...t/I/chapter/IV, 31.3 and https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1821/made (Case B rule)). Has anyone else experienced AA starting to charge this when they shouldn't?
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was this 1 ticket of BER-SEA via LHR with a connection time in UK of less than 24 hours or 2 separate tickets with BER-LHR on one ticket and LHR-SEA on the other?
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Was this 1 ticket of BER-SEA via LHR with a connection time in UK of less than 24 hours or 2 separate tickets with BER-LHR on one ticket and LHR-SEA on the other?
A single ticket, booked through AA.

The SWU cleared the day before departure, and the email confirming it also shows both segments.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by logicalrealist

The SWU cleared the day before departure, and the email confirming it also shows both segments.
Push back.

Nothing has changed. You do not pay APD on a connection.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:24 am

If no APD was due on original booking - which would seem to be the case based on posted information - then there would be no additional APD to be paid. Does the original receipt show the tax breakdown ?

I would contact AA back and reiterate that this was a connection in London and that APD was not due. If the original receipt shows that there was no APD, that would be good to attach

If you still have an issue, it may be something that could be disputed via the card company
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. AA had replied so confidently (and tersely) that it made me second guess my own understanding. I will push back and, if that does not work, dispute with my card and file a DOT complaint.

Dave, great point about the original APD. The receipt I have doesn't have enough detail to answer this, and makes me wonder if I was also incorrectly charged it on the original booking. I will ask as part of following up.
Antarius and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Thanks all. AA had replied so confidently (and tersely) that it made me second guess my own understanding. I will push back and, if that does not work, dispute with my card and file a DOT complaint.

Dave, great point about the original APD. The receipt I have doesn't have enough detail to answer this, and makes me wonder if I was also incorrectly charged it on the original booking. I will ask as part of following up.
Good luck. I would reply to their comment clarifying that you did not depart from LHR, you connected in LHR and this is not charged APD.
logicalrealist likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Everything that is stated above is correct - meaning that no APD was due and the OP is entitled to a refund.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
In late April, I flew BER-LHR-SEA. I applied a SWU to LHR-SEA. AA charged me an APD

The SWU cleared the day before departure
Like everyone else has mentioned, no APD should have been charged.

But curious, did AA auto-charge, or demand payment info when re-ticketing?
Old Jun 3, 2023, 12:06 pm

No APD due ! They tried it several times over the years on me. Folks just not knowing their job. As an EXP , I would have expected a better response from them. The SWU Y to J APD is well known to agents in regards to LHR originations. Should not be a problem.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econ
But curious, did AA auto-charge, or demand payment info when re-ticketing?
They demanded payment info when re-ticketing. In hindsight, I should have pushed back then, but in the moment, I was tired and it also seemed plausible there was a similar tax in Germany (I had not recently used SWUs out of Germany).
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
That amount doesn't even correspond to the APD due on a non-economy departure from the UK - unless it's dropped drastically recently. Instead I'm guessing what you were charged is the difference between long-haul economy APD and long-haul non-economy APD [up-APDed, as it were]. So doubly extra special wrong - lucky you!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by etiene
That amount doesn't even correspond to the APD due on a non-economy departure from the UK - unless it's dropped drastically recently. Instead I'm guessing what you were charged is the difference between long-haul economy APD and long-haul non-economy APD [up-APDed, as it were]. So doubly extra special wrong - lucky you!
the difference in APD between adult economy class and non-economy class is GBP104 and is the amount that would be charged for an upgrade - since the base APD would already have been paid if due. Hopefully the OP will get AA to undertsnd its mistake and refund. May be worth a complaint to DOT - that might get someone to look at it more carefully
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
the difference in APD between adult economy class and non-economy class is GBP104 and is the amount that would be charged for an upgrade - since the base APD would already have been paid if due. Hopefully the OP will get AA to undertsnd its mistake and refund. May be worth a complaint to DOT - that might get someone to look at it more carefully
That's the point: it wasn't due and wouldn't have been taken in the first place. Anyone looking at the ticket ought to see that a) no APD was taken at first [because it was not due and the website/TA did not make this error] and b) if APD were due the correct amount has not been collected. While the amount charged would be correct for an upgrade on the simple LHR-SEA flight, the system ought to be highlighting one of the above issues because the current amount collected in the name of APD cannot possibly correct.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by etiene
That's the point: it wasn't due and wouldn't have been taken in the first place. Anyone looking at the ticket ought to see that a) no APD was taken at first [because it was not due and the website/TA did not make this error] and b) if APD were due the correct amount has not been collected. While the amount charged would be correct for an upgrade on the simple LHR-SEA flight, the system ought to be highlighting one of the above issues because the current amount collected in the name of APD cannot possibly correct.
That is why in post 5 , I asked the OP to check whether the receipt showed APD for original ticket

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.