Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

upgrade BA biz class fare to first DFW-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

So I bought my ticket it's in the I fare class in business class on British Airways Metal, codeshare with AA. Can I upgrade to first if there is availability using SWU or miles+dollars?. This is a Business Class seat.

Of note I am Exec Platinum on AA, and no status on BA.

if anyone wants to point me to what to read to find out, I'm fine with that. I have been searching for the answer all morning.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Exp
You can't use the Miles+Copay option to upgrade a BA flight (only miles if you buy a full fare in C, J, D or R on BA), but you can use a SWU to upgrade if you see on AA there is award availability on a BA flight in F/first.

See the SWU Upgrades on BA are Live forum or AA's SWU page for some light reading
Old May 25, 2023, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by guy999
So I bought my ticket it's in the I fare class in business class on British Airways Metal, codeshare with AA. Can I upgrade to first if there is availability using SWU or miles+dollars?. This is a Business Class seat.

Of note I am Exec Platinum on AA, and no status on BA.

if anyone wants to point me to what to read to find out, I'm fine with that. I have been searching for the answer all morning.
You can upgrade using a SWU, in order to see upgrade availability you just need to do a normal award search at aa.com for your flight. If there's availability to book a F award using miles, then you can use a SWU to upgrade from J>F.

SWU upgrades on BA are live
Old May 25, 2023, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can upgrade using a SWU, in order to see upgrade availability you just need to do a normal award search at aa.com for your flight. If there's availability to book a F award using miles, then you can use a SWU to upgrade from J>F.

SWU upgrades on BA are live

on expertflyer do i look on AA or do I look on BA? or is that the same?
Old May 25, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by guy999
on expertflyer do i look on AA or do I look on BA? or is that the same?
Expertflyer no longer shows award availability for BA and since it's BA metal, that is what you need.

What JJeffrey means is look at award availability on AA.com for your BA flight and if that shows a bookable miles/award ticket for first on that flight, you should be able to upgrade with the SWU.

Regards
Antarius and JJeffrey like this.
Old May 25, 2023, 8:11 pm

I have a booking for DFW-LHR via AA codeshare on BA metal (A380) at the end of June (bought through AA) in I. An agent took my info and processed an upgrade request , which shows as upgrade requested on the reservation.

She did say it was the first time she came across this and seemed somewhat confused, and also said if it cleared it would be miles plus $350 (as opposed to $550 on normal I upgrade on AA's webpage on AA metal), so not sure if I just ended up in a weird situation, but we will see. I'm guessing it is a mistake and it won't go through, but will be ecstatic if it does and for less than shown

Anyway, the moral is that it may not hurt to call and ask.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:12 am

Something appear wrong here.

it is suppose to be SWUs only and there is no waitlisting allowed

I would call AA and work this out. You could be in a waitlist that will never clear or it it does, AA couldn’t ticket it.

Originally Posted by dcpendarvis
I have a booking for DFW-LHR via AA codeshare on BA metal (A380) at the end of June (bought through AA) in I. An agent took my info and processed an upgrade request , which shows as upgrade requested on the reservation.

She did say it was the first time she came across this and seemed somewhat confused, and also said if it cleared it would be miles plus $350 (as opposed to $550 on normal I upgrade on AA's webpage on AA metal), so not sure if I just ended up in a weird situation, but we will see. I'm guessing it is a mistake and it won't go through, but will be ecstatic if it does and for less than shown

Anyway, the moral is that it may not hurt to call and ask.
JJeffrey and Antarius like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Related question:

I purchased a BA J fare LHR-DFW with no AA involvement (i.e., BA ticket on BA metal on BA.com). I see that an AA F award for my flight is available. Can I use an AA SWU to upgrade? Do I call BA or AA?
Old May 26, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by bscooter26
You can't use the Miles+Copay option to upgrade a BA flight (only miles if you buy a full fare in C, J, D or R on BA), but you can use a SWU to upgrade if you see on AA there is award availability on a BA flight in F/first.

See the SWU Upgrades on BA are Live forum or AA's SWU page for some light reading
I thought you had to be on at least one AA plane to upgrade with BA. As long as you BUY it on AA even if its a direct flight on BA you can still upgrade?
Old May 26, 2023, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
I thought you had to be on at least one AA plane to upgrade with BA. As long as you BUY it on AA even if its a direct flight on BA you can still upgrade?
Yes, that's correct.

"Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 flight segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American. At least one American marketed flight must be in the itinerary to be eligible."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp
Old May 26, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cruser1
Yes, that's correct.

"Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 flight segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American. At least one American marketed flight must be in the itinerary to be eligible."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp
So if I have a simple BA flight LHR-JFK, issued on BA ticket stock with a BA flight number -- must I later add an AA flight to that booking in order to make the BA segment eligible for SWU upgrade?
Old May 26, 2023, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
So if I have a simple BA flight LHR-JFK, issued on BA ticket stock with a BA flight number -- must I later add an AA flight to that booking in order to make the BA segment eligible for SWU upgrade?
Not sure you can add an AA flight to your booking for free after it has been ticketed, but yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.