Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Canceled return leg of RT - AA unable to retrieve trip credit

Old May 21, 2023, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

My wife took a tumble and hit her head last weekend (contusion and tiny subarachnoid hemorrhage) while on a trip causing us to delay our return. It was easier to cancel our return flight and book an award ticket for the return. After cancelling the return leg, I received an email from AA stating:

For other canceled trips, you have remaining credit to use on future travel. Flight Credit: You can look up your Flight Credit on aa.com with your ticket number or view credit in your AAdvantage® account if you're an AAdvantage® member.

It says "other canceled trips" as it prefaced the comment with some exceptions (not booked directly, BE fare, award ticket, canceled within 24 hours of booking/2+ days before departure - none of which applied to the leg I canceled).

Going to the link and entering in the ticket # comes up null with this message:

We are unable to retrieve your reservation with the information provided. Please verify your information and re-submit. Otherwise, if you need assistance, please contact aa.com Web Services.

I probably need to call to get a resolution but it's such a pain to call the 800 # these days. Anybody else seen this problem with a canceled leg?
Old May 21, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yes, sometimes for more complex cancellations aa.com won't just pull up a credit and you'll have to call to apply any remaining value. What did you originally book and what segments did you cancel?
ijgordon, ebuck and Antarius like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, sometimes for more complex cancellations aa.com won't just pull up a credit and you'll have to call to apply any remaining value. What did you originally book and what segments did you cancel?
PHL-DFW-SAF RT - we cancelled the return. Not a terribly complex itinerary. I'll give them a call to figure out what's left on the ticket.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:03 am

Or use the online form. Has worked for me in these cases.
Old May 22, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JMN57
PHL-DFW-SAF RT - we cancelled the return. Not a terribly complex itinerary. I'll give them a call to figure out what's left on the ticket.
Check the fare rules. You may only be able to use the return on the same SAF-PHL routing -- i.e., the value may not be able to be used on just any new flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.