Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

If I'm AA platinum, does flying AA give me better upgrade chances than JAL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If I'm AA platinum, does flying AA give me better upgrade chances than JAL?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Question If I'm AA platinum, does flying AA give me better upgrade chances than JAL?

I am a Platinum member on American Airlines. I’m going LAX to Tokyo in July. My work will only pay for Economy Class, but I really want to get an upgrade for this trip. I'm thinking that since I'm AA Platinum, I'd have a better chance at an upgrade than if I fly on Oneworld partner Japan Airlines. Is this the case?

I'm especially torn because I know that Japan Airlines has a way better experience in Economy class than American. What should I do?

Book a flight operated by American, with far inferior economy class in the hopes that I’ll get upgraded?

Book a flight operated by Japan Airlines, with far superior economy class but possibly a lesser chance of getting upgraded?

Also, (c) if I do go with JAL, should I book directly with JAL? Or is it fine to book on American’s website with the "operated by Japan Airlines" indication? Does that affect my chances for an upgrade?

Thank you, kind flyers!

- JL

Last edited by jl555; May 9, 2023 at 6:58 pm Reason: formatting got messed up
Old May 9, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Are you attempting to use miles+copay for an upgrade? Willing to pay cash if AA gives you an offer to upgrade? ​​​​​Or are you just crossing your fingers and hoping for a free upgrade?

If it's either of the former two options, book AA. If it's the latter, just book JL for the better Y experience. You won't be getting a free upgrade.
jl555, bzcat, DiamondMile and 6 others like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 7:28 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
None of the elite AA statuses publish a free upgrade as a benefit on long haul international trips.

if you have enough points, request a mileage + points upgrade for the AA flight. If you don’t have enough points, you can call to ask about up-faring, or just get a good coach exit row seat and enjoy the lounges.
jl555, DiamondMile and jmj9905 like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

I am willing to use miles + cash for an upgrade.
Old May 9, 2023, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njvandy
Are you attempting to use miles+copay for an upgrade? Willing to pay cash if AA gives you an offer to upgrade? ​​​​​Or are you just crossing your fingers and hoping for a free upgrade?.
I'm willing to use points + cash.
Old May 9, 2023, 7:58 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Joined in 2008 but these are your first 2 posts here!

Welcome to FT!
wrp96, Antarius, himang and 2 others like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 355F1

Welcome to FT!
Thanks!!!
Old May 9, 2023, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
None of the elite AA statuses publish a free upgrade as a benefit on long haul international trips.

if you have enough points, request a mileage + points upgrade for the AA flight. If you don’t have enough points, you can call to ask about up-faring, or just get a good coach exit row seat and enjoy the lounges.
I didn't realize call to upfare was a thing, but I will try it! My big question is whether I even have a shot at getting an upgrade with AA, because I'd reaaally rather try Japan Airlines' economy service over AA's....
Old May 9, 2023, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jl555
I didn't realize call to upfare was a thing, but I will try it! My big question is whether I even have a shot at getting an upgrade with AA, because I'd reaaally rather try Japan Airlines' economy service over AA's....
You have an ok shot, more so if you can be a bit flexible with dates (midweek is always better for upgrade chances).

You can always just buy the economy ticket then watch online or in the app for what kind of buy-up upgrade offers AA has.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 355F1

Welcome to FT!

I find this mild but frequent post history doxxing to be a bit creepy(not singling you out specifically). I really doubt it's done solely to identify and welcome new members, so what is it you're looking for? Genuinely curious.

Last edited by SkyLich; May 9, 2023 at 9:43 pm
Old May 9, 2023, 9:42 pm
Suspended

1. Book directly with JL. In my experience, AA has a very hard time dealing with any issues that arise with tickets they issue for JL flights.

2. You may be able to bid in advance for an upgrade.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...al/bidupgrade/

3. You may be able to purchase an upgrade at the airport, but only to PE (vs bidding which allows you to go for J).

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/apopyug.html

On such a long flight, especially with JL, I would be doing whatever I could to upgrade, it'll be well worth it.
jl555 likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by SkyLich
I find this mild but frequent post history doxxing to be a bit creepy(not singling you out specifically). I really doubt it's done solely to identify and welcome new members, so what is it you're looking for? Genuinely curious.
I can't speak to the person who posted, but perhaps it's some sort of amazement that someone can lurk here for 15 years without posting at all. I'm also at a bit of a loss as to why it's creepy, given that both join date and post count are immediately under the poster's name (though it's never crossed my mind to mention either point).
LovePrunes, jl555, himang and 16 others like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SkyLich
If someone scoured FT for this info, maybe. Number of posts and join date are literally right there presented to you, no effort needed.
wrp96, mrow, DiamondMile and 4 others like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:53 pm

Another possibility: refuse to go to Japan unless it’s in business class. Especially if your trip will add significant value to your company or not going would cost them a lot. An executive flying 10+ hours to close a 6 figure deal should not be flying coach
Old May 10, 2023, 4:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by nd2010
Another possibility: refuse to go to Japan unless it’s in business class. Especially if your trip will add significant value to your company or not going would cost them a lot. An executive flying 10+ hours to close a 6 figure deal should not be flying coach
While I would love that too be a good excuse, I doubt these days that many companies would accept a refusal to follow policy.

And if they let you go a day before then its really not such a big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.