Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA flight for sale on AA site?!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2023, 1:34 am
Original Poster

UA flight for sale on AA site?!

I'm trying to book a roundtrip HNL-SFO-HNL ticket, clicked through from google flights and came across this itinerary:

Depart
Honolulu, HI to San Francisco, CA

Sunday, June 25, 2023

7409 American Airlines Wi-Fi on-boardOperated by Alaska Airlines

Return
San Francisco, CA to Honolulu, HI

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

1509 United Airlines

The Alaska Airlines bit stands to reason, but how is a UA flight showing up on the AA booking engine? Would the ticket be issued on 001 stock?
Old May 2, 2023, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA can sell tickets that include other carriers, even direct competitors. Most times these flights will not show up at aa.com when doing simple searches (for obvious reasons) however if forced by an agent or a mechanism like Google Flights then they should be bookable.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Very interesting! For these kinds of interlined (is that the right word?) tickets does the UA leg count for elite status on AA?
Old May 2, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lazarus89
Very interesting! For these kinds of interlined (is that the right word?) tickets does the UA leg count for elite status on AA?
Of course not. It is a normal UA flight through and through except for the fact that it was sold by AA.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I did something like this back in the day (I think it was put together by expedia). I think it was NW one way and UA the other. Confused the heck out of the agent when we went to check in on the way back.
Old May 2, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Interline itineraries like this were totally routine in the past when no one airline had a network that could serve most trips. It wasn’t all that long ago (maybe 10-15 years?) that AA.com would show results on all airlines by default, though always bubbling AA flights to the top of the list. So they certainly have the capability, though they (understandably!) are much less willing to do so now after mergers have led to much more robust networks on individual airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.