Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

#8 Passenger on List Upgraded before #ís 1-7

Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver

Crazy thing happened at CHS-DFW boarding this morning.
Iím #1 on upgrade list, suddenly # 8 gets the last first class seat according to the AA app and the gate screen. Iím standing next to her as it come through her app, and sheís surprised as she tells her husband she somehow got first. Iím thinking the passenger purchased it. So I asked her (again, she was standing next to). She had no idea how it happened, didnít purchase it, wasnít crew, no reason, she just thought she was lucky. We begin boarding.
I asked the gate agents as I board how #8 cleared upgrade before 1-7, and they are bewildered. They tell me that #1, Ben, L (which is me) has the last first class seat. The upgraded #8 pax is boarding behind me and she tells gate agent that she was upgraded to last seat in first. The agents tell me they have no use what happened and tell me to board. They look very confused.
After boarding, a different ďangryĒ gate agent comes on looking for me and tells me to ďGet up, Youíre movingĒ. I ask him what happened and he just repeats: ďGet UpĒ. I ask him where I can put my bag as over head space was already taken. He said something under his breath, turned around and walked out. That was it. Never an apology, explanation, reason, nothing. The boarding pass he had in has hand had my new seat of 1F listed, and the AA app updated my seat to 1F. But the agent left, and left me in 12C.

Is it worth complaining to AA about this or should I just move on? How does this happen? Was the gate agent just careless and pick the wrong passenger? Seems unlikely since they called her name to give her a new paper BP and checked her ID.

Last edited by lrbenko; Apr 30, 2023 at 9:23 am Reason: Spelling.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
aquanine likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Clearly you were playing too difficult when asked to move to the new seat /asked too many questions and the gate agent found another pax for 1F.
SK, bescobar, ijgordon and 14 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Clearly you were playing too difficult when asked to move to the new seat /asked too many questions and the gate agent found another pax for 1F.
I guess so. I actually wasnít asked to move, I was told ďGet up, youíre movingĒ. A bit different.
And the agents left #8 in the seat in first.

Last edited by lrbenko; Apr 30, 2023 at 11:30 am
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
That doesn't explain why number 8 was upgraded before boarding
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So you followed the gate agent to an F seat or no? I'm confused. And where was #8 when you walked into the F cabin or she was gone?
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
AA is very well known for crap IT/Digital services. If the upgraded confused lady next to you was not showing signs of being a non-rev, as you described, then I would suspect the software.
lrbenko, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Firstly, when you notice the abnormal upgrade for #8 you go straight to the GA counter to challenge it. Second, when they give you the upgrade you take it and leave your bags in the overhead bin where they are.
lrbenko likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
So you followed the gate agent to an F seat or no?
Clearly the OP didn't follow the agent to 1F but questioned why the OP was asked to move (and where to put carry-on). This backfired as the agent moved on.
jagoffee likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lrbenko
Crazy thing happened at CHS-DFW boarding this morning.
Iím #1 on upgrade list, suddenly # 8 gets the last first class seat according to the AA app and the gate screen. Iím standing next to her as it come through her app, and sheís surprised as she tells her husband she somehow got first. Iím thinking the passenger purchased it. So I asked her (again, she was standing next to). She had no idea how it happened, didnít purchase it, wasnít crew, no reason, she just thought she was lucky. We begin boarding.
I asked the gate agents as I board how #8 cleared upgrade before 1-7, and they are bewildered. They tell me that #1, Ben, L (which is me) has the last first class seat. The upgraded #8 pax is boarding behind me and she tells gate agent that she was upgraded to last seat in first. The agents tell me they have no use what happened and tell me to board. They look very confused.
After boarding, a different ďangryĒ gate agent comes on looking for me and tells me to ďGet up, Youíre movingĒ. I ask him what happened and he just repeats: ďGet UpĒ. I ask him where I can put my bag as over head space was already taken. He said something under his breath, turned around and walked out. That was it. Never an apology, explanation, reason, nothing. The boarding pass he had in has hand had my new seat of 1F listed, and the AA app updated my seat to 1F. But the agent left, and left me in 12C.

Is it worth complaining to AA about this or should I just move on? How does this happen? Was the gate agent just careless and pick the wrong passenger? Seems unlikely since they called her name to give her a new paper BP and checked her ID.
The whole thing is a bit mystifying -- thanks for posting the screenshot of the app upgrade list to confirm. Personally, I would have immediately followed the gate agent to 1F. The way you say he spoke to you does seem concerning, but was the bag issue really more important than the upgrade? Or did it all happen so quickly that he just walked off and ignored you once you asked a question? What happened once he turned around and walked away? Did 1F go out empty? Very odd situation from start to finish the way you've described it.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Clearly the OP didn't follow the agent to 1F but questioned why the OP was asked to move (and where to put carry-on). This backfired as the agent moved on.
yeah, no I got it.

Game over.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by nk15
Firstly, when you notice the abnormal upgrade for #8 you go straight to the GA counter to challenge it. Second, when they give you the upgrade you take it and leave your bags in the overhead bin where they are.
Or just take your bags with you until someone tells you not to . . .
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:32 am
Original Poster

This is exactly correct. The #8 passenger boarded immediately behind and took the 1F seat, as she was given that boarding pass. I did not follow the agent back up to the first class cabin. I asked a question about my bag and overhead and the agent turned around and left. Immediately.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metallo
The whole thing is a bit mystifying -- thanks for posting the screenshot of the app upgrade list to confirm. Personally, I would have immediately followed the gate agent to 1F. The way you say he spoke to you does seem concerning, but was the bag issue really more important than the upgrade? Or did it all happen so quickly that he just walked off and ignored you once you asked a question? What happened once he turned around and walked away? Did 1F go out empty? Very odd situation from start to finish the way you've described it.
it happened immediately. The agent was in a bad mood, Iím assuming, as he raised his voice enough to be heard a couple gates down at another agent just before boarding. I asked the question about the bag (perhaps foolishly, and I kinda wanted to know what had happened) and he immediately turned around and walked off. No further conversation. I remained in 12C expecting another agent to come and explain, but that never happened. Pax #8 remained in 1F.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
If everyone is boarded and the GA comes onboard for upgrade. You are delaying the flight - so ignore the bags, get up and grab your seat. You can grab/move bags after plane is 10,000 ft in the air. I'm theorizing the GA wanted to correct an IT issue so would swap you and 1F, but you were going to delay things further so they said TOUGH! They have noted on their end they were going to correct the situation but you would've delayed the issue/departure time.

Another theory - the #8 person upgraded may be F&F to someone who did some magic in the background as shouldn't happen that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.