Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Exec Desk made Promise and Customer Relations says no

Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

HI, I'm Exec Platinum with AA and Customers Relations is closing this matter and I don't know who to write to.

I was "pre-removed" from an oversold flight to SNA and put on a later flight to LAX the day before travel. Exec Desk said sorry they'd get me back on my flight. The number to that desk stayed busy. Then they put me on a United flight with similar times and that because I am Exec Platinum to book main cabin extra and pay for my bag and Customer Relations will reimburse me. My costs are $196.00 for the seats and $35.00 for the bag. After hours on the phone and probably more than 50 emails, Customer Relations had credited me $196.00 and refuses to pay the additional $35.00.

The customer relations agent seems frustrated by me and has that I don't understand how generous they're being and how senior management has approved this. There is no conversation with her, just her saying that senior management has reviewed this and their decision is final. I've offered to show her the receipts and she's refused to accept them. Same with the original email showing I was pre-removed and she says that I was not pre-removed.

Anyone had this issue before or knowing how to get the final $35.00?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DavidStlMo
I was "pre-removed"
I don't know what that means.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't know what that means.
They removed me without my permission and put me on another flight. They didn't even email or call me. I found out when I went to check it.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DavidStlMo
They removed me without my permission and put me on another flight. They didn't even email or call me. I found out when I went to check it.
That is extremely (extremely) strange.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
How far in advance was this done? In my experience, AA rarely removes one from an oversold flight in advance as it's quite possible it wouldn't be oversold on the day of travel (cancellations, no shows, etc.). I have had this done once (several months in advance) when a flight was downgraded from a 772 to a 321 and I had booked first, but I got a phone call asking if it was ok (I assume they would have moved on to others if I had said no), a voucher, and an opportunity to pick whatever flights I wanted. As others have said, doing this in advance otherwise with no notice is very, very strange.

Regardless, after a certain point, whether you're right or wrong, you have to ask yourself how much more effort is worth $35. You said you've sent over 50 emails and spent hours on the phone. Most of us, even when we're really mad at AA, likely would have given up long ago for $35.
AAway, fdog, SJOGuy and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

HI, I guess it was 24-48 hours in advance they changed my airplane. The Exec Plat agent said the same thing. Its extremely unusual and especially for an Exec Plat. You are right about should have given up. Just feel like if I reach the correct person they'll return the entire amount that I have receipts for. Not just seats but the luggage also. Any help is appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
I'm not going to even wonder about the exact situation. Phone reps, even some EXP reps, are often wrong or will say things to get you off the phone. You got $196 bucks from AA - probably more than most people would have. Consider that a win and just write off the $35. It's simply not worth your time.
david55, Abidjan, SJOGuy and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Another question (for my own curiosity): Was this an Executive Platinum reservation agent or an Executive Liaison representative?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much effort are you going to put in for $35 ? unless you have something like an email that shows that baggage fees would be reimbursed, then I don't see what more you are going to do

It seems surprising that the airline agent event agreed to reimburse for another carrier in that situation and does seem generous
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Obviously this is not a normal situation...but it is more evidence that "EXP" isn't what it once was.
As an EXP every year since 2016 (former Chairman's Preferred on US Airways since 2007) I can confirm that things are heading downhill fast.
Why accrue "Loyalty" points when AA has decided that they don't care about their most loyal customers?

-Signed, just another unhappy EXP
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:35 pm
Suspended

I forget the jurisdiction provision in the conditions of carriage but if a small claims court lawsuit is permitted (it may need to be in Texas), Id do that. If arbitration is required, Id send a demand for arbitration. If a Federal or state court lawsuit is required for a dispute, Id send a demand letter.

Let AA spend a lot more than $35 in legal fees if it so desires.
saltytheseagull likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I forget the jurisdiction provision in the conditions of carriage but if a small claims court lawsuit is permitted (it may need to be in Texas), Id do that. If arbitration is required, Id send a demand for arbitration. If a Federal or state court lawsuit is required for a dispute, Id send a demand letter.

Let AA spend a lot more than $35 in legal fees if it so desires.
And hopefully, AA also pays for time the OP spends preparing this (the value the OP gives to his own time). Preparing this will take at a minimum one hour (considering research time, where to file, and writing the whole thing up properly) plus the time spent at the hearing (including commute time).
Not sure about OP but I value my time at much more than $35 an hour.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by carlosdca
And hopefully, AA also pays for time the OP spends preparing this (the value the OP gives to his own time). Preparing this will take at a minimum one hour (considering research time, where to file, and writing the whole thing up properly) plus the time spent at the hearing (including commute time).
Courts typically don't make other parties pay for those types of "costs".
Adam1222, BWISkyGuy and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Agreed. It's $35. I'd move on.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From what I can see, there is a $85 fee to lodge the claim. Without evidence to support the claim, that would seem to be changing a $35 cost for luggage into a $120 cost and there would seem to be no guarantee that the OP would win ( I would rate the chance of losing as being higher ) - plus of course all the time spent filing the claim and potentially going to court

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.