Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does mileage count towards LP accumulation?

Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

I know that AA has done away with miles counting towards status, but does the distance of the flight count for anything apart from the actual number of miles that you have in your FF account?

I have several trips to Europe scheduled for this summer and was wondering whether anything other than the cost of the ticket will count towards next years status. I reached platinum last year, essentially all due to credit card purchases and a few adventitious buys on AA shopping (Motley Fool, etc), but will the same price ticket to a destination within the US earn the same LP as a flight to anywhere else in teh world?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ppotter
I know that AA has done away with miles counting towards status, but does the distance of the flight count for anything apart from the actual number of miles that you have in your FF account?

I have several trips to Europe scheduled for this summer and was wondering whether anything other than the cost of the ticket will count towards next years status. I reached platinum last year, essentially all due to credit card purchases and a few adventitious buys on AA shopping (Motley Fool, etc), but will the same price ticket to a destination within the US earn the same LP as a flight to anywhere else in teh world?

Thanks!
Miles earned = LP earned. But AA marketed flights have not earned miles based on distance in several years. It's been fare based for a long time.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Miles flown does still matter for the Million Miler levels.
Antarius and renila like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Miles matter on some partner flights (sold as partner) since AA may not know ticket price. The website under partner airlines specifies how much is accrued per airlines
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:38 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by ppotter
As long as your ticket has AA in front of the flight number(s), you'll earn LPs based on base fare before taxes and fees. If you are flying to Europe on a partner airline (e.g. BA, IB, AY), and it is not a codeshare with an AA flight number (e.g. BA 66 rather than AA 6096 operated by BA), you'll earn miles based on the partner earning chart on aa.com. This applies to any of AA's OW or other partners.
aj411 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
As long as your ticket has AA in front of the flight number(s), you'll earn LPs based on base fare before taxes and fees.
Usually this is the case. However, there are a very limited number of situations where AA still uses miles for its own flights (there's a thread here somewhere about that) or if somehow the original fare got lost, such as due to multiple changes during IRROPS, etc. In this latter case, you can usually call and request they re-post using LPs, but obviously do the math first to see what's better.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
This applies to any of AA's OW or other partners.
Note that flights on JetBlue earn AAdvantage miles/LPs based on pre-tax fare, not mileage. (And JetBlue trans-Atlantic flights are not eligible to earn any AAdvantage miles/LPs.)
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.