Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

WWYD: Stay on Waitlist or Drop for In App offer?

Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold

I'm trying to figure out my strategy here. My family of 4 are traveling home from LHR to PHX in early June. We had to split the PNR to request award upgrades. I'm PP and my upgrade plus my son's cleared right away (with miles and copay). My husband and daughter are waitlisted. My husband doesn't have status but supposedly its supposed to pull over my PP status since the trip was booked on my account. They have MCE seats. I'm trying to decide if I should leave them on the waitlist and hope award space is opened and their waitlists upgrades will clear or if I should drop the waitlist to see what the offer might be in the app. It feels like a huge gamble. I tried checking the Offer in App thread to see if there was any trend as to cost for an in app offer for this routing but couldn't find one.

Currently EF is showing this: C4 J4 R0 D0 I0
There are 4 unassigned seats in Business

What say you?

Last edited by scorpioscuba; Apr 17, 2023 at 11:37 am Reason: Ooops C4/J4 not C7/J7 sorry!
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by scorpioscuba
I'm trying to figure out my strategy here. My family of 4 are traveling home from LHR to PHX in early June. We had to split the PNR to request award upgrades. I'm PP and my upgrade plus my son's cleared right away (with miles and copay). My husband and daughter are waitlisted. My husband doesn't have status but supposedly its supposed to pull over my PP status since the trip was booked on my account. They have MCE seats. I'm trying to decide if I should leave them on the waitlist and hope award space is opened and their waitlists upgrades will clear or if I should drop the waitlist to see what the offer might be in the app. It feels like a huge gamble. I tried checking the Offer in App thread to see if there was any trend as to cost for an in app offer for this routing but couldn't find one.

Currently EF is showing this: C7 J7 R0 D0 I0
There are 4 unassigned seats in Business

What say you?
What is the date of the flight?

While seatmaps can sometimes be misleading if there's only 4 open seats showing then the flight is most likely close to sold out in business.

If that's the case then AA is almost assuredly not going to release any C space until much closer to the flight (probably starting at 24 hrs out right up to the gate), so realistically speaking they won't be missing out on any chances by removing their upgrade requests.
scorpioscuba likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:25 am

It is probably too late now, but you should have cleared the non-status people if there was immediate availability. Then you would be on the waitlist with your PP status with one companion. If you are now in separate (but linked) PNRs, I would really question if your husband and daughter are truly "inheriting" your status. In my experience, no mileage or SWU upgrades will clear between now and a week or so before the flight, so there is limited risk in dropping the upgrade request and seeing if you get an in app offer.

It also appears you are not using EF correctly, for if it is showing C7 your upgrades should have cleared. Are you searching point to point and using the "Upgrade" selection? It appears not or else you would not have the J/R/D/I inventory on the same line. Having R/D/I showing 0 implies business class is getting somewhat full, (Edit to add - I missed the part about 4 unassigned seats, that's pretty full!) Set a proper alert for C inventory on your flight and perhaps you'll get lucky!

I'm sure you know, summer is peak travel season to Europe. Airlines will routinely overbook economy and plan on upgrading someone to accommodate, another time where if you as PP were in economy would have priority over others waiting for upgrades.

Hope this helps!
scorpioscuba likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ;35177643
Currently EF is showing this: C7
Are you looking at rewards and upgrades function (and checking "exclude coshare") or just availability? My guess is the latter which isn't a good indicator for what you want.

Also empty seats on a seat map more likely than not mean that someone just hasn't assigned one to themselves yet.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
It is probably too late now, but you should have cleared the non-status people if there was immediate availability. Then you would be on the waitlist with your PP status with one companion. If you are now in separate (but linked) PNRs, I would really question if your husband and daughter are truly "inheriting" your status. In my experience, no mileage or SWU upgrades will clear between now and a week or so before the flight, so there is limited risk in dropping the upgrade request and seeing if you get an in app offer.

It also appears you are not using EF correctly, for if it is showing C7 your upgrades should have cleared. Are you searching point to point and using the "Upgrade" selection? It appears not or else you would not have the J/R/D/I inventory on the same line. Having R/D/I showing 0 implies business class is getting somewhat full, (Edit to add - I missed the part about 4 unassigned seats, that's pretty full!) Set a proper alert for C inventory on your flight and perhaps you'll get lucky!

I'm sure you know, summer is peak travel season to Europe. Airlines will routinely overbook economy and plan on upgrading someone to accommodate, another time where if you as PP were in economy would have priority over others waiting for upgrades.

Hope this helps!
It's showing C4 on the Flight Availability page but C0 on the Awards and Upgrade page for just this segment. So I believe that means that C4 can be purchased with miles and that is not award upgrade availability (since that is C0).

If I could have picked upgrading them over me, I would have but when I was on the phone we didn't think there even was Award upgrade space available. As soon as she split the reservation, mine cleared and we were both taken by surprise. Agreed on my status likely not carrying over because ever time the flight changes they get bumped from their MCE seats and I have to call to get them back in them.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What is the date of the flight?.
June 11th

So I'm hearing that it's worth the risk to jump off the waitlist and check the app for upgrade offers? They were put on the upgrade list back in Feb so the other risk is that they'll lose their high spot on it if there are others on the list - but again may mean nothing since he doesn't have status.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At C4 J4 R0 D0 I0 I doubt you're going to get a particularly appealing offer for the upgrade.
scorpioscuba likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by scorpioscuba
So I'm hearing that it's worth the risk to jump off the waitlist and check the app for upgrade offers? They were put on the upgrade list back in Feb so the other risk is that they'll lose their high spot on it if there are others on the list - but again may mean nothing since he doesn't have status.
So any C availability you see searching Flight Availability is meaningless for both awards and upgrades, don't waste your time searching that.

The flight is J7C0 although it looks like there might be exactly 7 seats left for sale, meaning mostly full.

Virtually zero chance AA releases any C space until right before the flight, so no real risk in removing them from the waitlist now to keep an eye on the upgrade offers.

And of course if you haven't don't so already, set an EF alert for C space (using awards and upgrades search), so in the off chance AA were to release any C you could try to call in and grab it.
scorpioscuba likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I was only searching C/J availability to see how many seats are still available for sale to balance the lack of award upgrade space with potentially getting an in app upgrade offer. I should have been more clear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.