Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Refund when canceling a QR flight booked as AA award on the day of the flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:15 am
Original Poster

I had to cancel a Qatar flight booked with AA miles on the day of the flight due to a death in the family.

Will I still get the miles back? Do I need to call them since it was canceled literally hours before the flight?

I don't see the refund in my AA account even though flights on later dates that I also had to cancel are already processed.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
As long as you cancelled prior to departure, you can contact AA to process the mileage reinstatement and refund.
satellite779 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacar
As long as you cancelled prior to departure, you can contact AA to process the mileage reinstatement and refund.
Yes, I canceled around 5.5hrs before the departure, when we heard the news.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by satellite779
Yes, I canceled around 5.5hrs before the departure, when we heard the news.
IME if the award contains AA metal flights then the miles will be automatically reinstated, however if it's just partners then most times not.

I had 3 QR-only awards last month that I had to cancel and none of the miles were automatically reinstated.

As noted just give AA a call, the fact that you cancelled 5 hours before departure doesn't matter.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
IME if the award contains AA metal flights then the miles will be automatically reinstated, however if it's just partners then most times not.

I had 3 QR-only awards last month that I had to cancel and none of the miles were automatically reinstated.

As noted just give AA a call, the fact that you cancelled 5 hours before departure doesn't matter.
I also canceled return trips (that were in 6 days), also on Qatar+Iberia and those got refunded within 30 minutes.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by satellite779
I also canceled return trips (that were in 6 days), also on Qatar+Iberia and those got refunded within 30 minutes.
Yea, it's completely YMMV. Just give AA a call.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, it's completely YMMV. Just give AA a call.
They actually got refunded after a couple of hours without me doing anything.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Changes/PenaltyBEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - DAY/TIME CHANGES ARE ALLOWED WITH NO CHARGE. CHANGES IN ROUTING - EXCLUDING CONNECTING CITIES - ARE ALLOWED SUBJECT TO THE ORIGINAL AWARD VALIDITY - USD 150.00 CHARGE APPLIES. STANDBY IS NOT ALLOWED.

AFTER TRAVEL HAS BEGUN - DAY/TIME CHANGES ARE ALLOWED WITH NO CHARGE. CHANGES IN ROUTING - EXCLUDING CONNECTING CITIES - ARE ALLOWED SUBJECT TO THE ORIGINAL AWARD VALIDITY - USD 150.00 CHARGE APPLIES. STANDBY IS NOT ALLOWED. NOTE - NO-SHOW IN CASE OF NO-SHOW QATAR AIRWAYS WILL CANCEL THE ONWARD OR RETURN RESERVATIONS

-- IN CASE OF GATE NO-SHOW ON MAD AND BCN TO INDIA OR PAKISTAN VIA DOH FLIGHT FOR A CHECKED-IN PASSENGER THE FARES IS NON-REFUNDABLE PROVIDED PASSENGER HAS NIL CHECK-IN BAGGAGE.

Cancellations/Refunds

BEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - MILEAGE MAY BE REINSTATED WITHIN 1 YEAR FROM ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE DATE IF MILES HAVE NOT EXPIRED - USD 150.00 REINSTATEMENT CHARGE APPLIES.

AFTER TRAVEL HAS BEGUN - MILEAGE MAY NOT BE REINSTATED.

This is the rules associated with a Qatar Award I just booked. Is the USD150 fee a new thing?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Speaking of which:
Child DiscountFREQUENT FLYER CHILD 02 OR OLDER - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. FREQUENT FLYER INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT UNDER 2 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS. FREQUENT FLYER INFANT WITH A SEAT UNDER 2 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS.

Infant in lap is 100% of the fare? What is AA smoking?
QPProletarian likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:55 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by Minos
Changes/PenaltyBEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - DAY/TIME CHANGES ARE ALLOWED WITH NO CHARGE. CHANGES IN ROUTING - EXCLUDING CONNECTING CITIES - ARE ALLOWED SUBJECT TO THE ORIGINAL AWARD VALIDITY - USD 150.00 CHARGE APPLIES. STANDBY IS NOT ALLOWED.
Were you charged in the end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.