Flagship Lounge Access on Upgrades

Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Flagship Lounge Access on Upgrades

Hi. I searched forums, but could not find an answer to this question.

I have two upcoming trips to Europe in June. First is DFW-FRA, both roundtrips direct on AA and in C booking class. Second is DFW->LHR->AMS outbound (on BA metal but booked through AA, I booking class), and return is direct AMS->DFW (C class on AA metal). My work travel agency had me book in coach and upgraded the flights to business with credits the company had.

The tickets do not show as flagship business, but I am wondering if this will allow flagship check in and lounge access for the DFW departures. I'm platinum pro, and looking at the requirements for the flagship lounge, I think that, in conjunction with being on an international flight grants access, but honestly the page detailing is somewhat confusing. Can anyone confirm? I realize I would still get aadmirals club access, but would be interesting to try the flagship lounge!

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Yes, you will get access, AA doesn't differentiate between upgrades (AS does, but I think all their F tickets give lounge access).

It sounds like your agent used a SWU or business extraa upgrade, both of which are confirmed, so it's more or less the same as a regular business ticket on day of travel and you should be still in business if there weather/misconnection/flight cancellations. No experience with this on BA though.
​​​​​​
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by dcpendarvis
Hi. I searched forums, but could not find an answer to this question.

I have two upcoming trips to Europe in June. First is DFW-FRA, both roundtrips direct on AA and in C booking class. Second is DFW->LHR->AMS outbound (on BA metal but booked through AA, I booking class), and return is direct AMS->DFW (C class on AA metal). My work travel agency had me book in coach and upgraded the flights to business with credits the company had.

The tickets do not show as flagship business, but I am wondering if this will allow flagship check in and lounge access for the DFW departures. I'm platinum pro, and looking at the requirements for the flagship lounge, I think that, in conjunction with being on an international flight grants access, but honestly the page detailing is somewhat confusing. Can anyone confirm? I realize I would still get aadmirals club access, but would be interesting to try the flagship lounge!

Thanks in advance.
Even if you didn't get upgraded on DFW-FRA or DFW-LHR, you would still have access to flagship lounges due to you having platinum pro on an international ticket.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by dcpendarvis
The tickets do not show as flagship business, but I am wondering if this will allow flagship check in and lounge access for the DFW departures.
Others have addressed the lounge part (the thread title), but regarding the other part, precision is necessary. There is no official term "flagship check in". There is "Flagship First Check-in" at some airports, but it does not exist at DFW (presumably because AA doesn't need to bother being competitive at a fortress hub). In any case, Flagship First Check-in is available to EXP (not PPRO) and to Flagship First or Business Plus (not ordinary Flagship Business), on AA-operated long-haul flights. You will be eligible for the ordinary business class check-in (or OWE check-in, if it exists).

Another aspect you should not overlook is that as OWE, you will have access to the Galleries First (not just Club) lounge at LHR Terminal 5 before LHR-AMS.
Antarius and _kurt like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
There is "Flagship First Check-in" at some airports, but it does not exist at DFW (presumably because AA doesn't need to bother being competitive at a fortress hub).
AA has it at MIA; they have a pretty enviable position there as well.

Regardless, flagship first check-in is possibly the most useless offering that AA has. OP isn't missing anything.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. This has been very helpful.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Antarius
Regardless, flagship first check-in is possibly the most useless offering that AA has. OP isn't missing anything.
I dont know about useless, but its always been slower that the standard business class check in. At JFK I avoid the shared dedicated first /OWE check in, as its been painfully slow for me. Same at LAX. I like to get through and enjoy the time in the FL or its equivalent. But to each their own.
LovePrunes and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:38 am

Its gone downhill in the last year but previously it allowed you to cut to the head of the pre-check line at a few airports. That was better than useless.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by no2chem
Yes, you will get access, AA doesn't differentiate between upgrades (AS does, but I think all their F tickets give lounge access).

It sounds like your agent used a SWU or business extraa upgrade, both of which are confirmed, so it's more or less the same as a regular business ticket on day of travel and you should be still in business if there weather/misconnection/flight cancellations. No experience with this on BA though.
​​​​​​
Alaska recently introduced a distance rule on F lounge access. https://onemileatatime.com/news/alas...-lounge-access
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by _kurt
Its gone downhill in the last year but previously it allowed you to cut to the head of the pre-check line at a few airports. That was better than useless.
It can definitely be worthwhile at JFK, as it lets you out at the front of the security line (either pre-check or standard). At MIA I usually just walk to E so I can use Clear.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Regardless, flagship first check-in is possibly the most useless offering that AA has.
Originally Posted by Tack
I dont know about useless, but its always been slower that the standard business class check in. At JFK I avoid the shared dedicated first /OWE check in, as its been painfully slow for me.
The new Premium check-in at JFK, with dedicated pre-check line, worked great for me last week, but that's only one data point.
njvandy and madmanshoney like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.