Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What happens if your too late for your flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Silly question as it's never happened to me before BUT I see a BIG chance of it happening so I'd like to inquire.

Flying from BOS and I planned to arrive 2hrs prior but I'm told that BOS traffic on Friday evening isn't the standard 20min drive and goodluck being less than 1hr. So there is a chance I might only get there 45min before my flight (return rental car) and with TSA might miss the flight.
Do I just get bumped to the next flight? or do I need to see an agent at the airport? what happens exactly if I get to my gate and the plane is gone lol
Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Go to the special services counter or the ticket counter. The 'flat tire rule' should apply, and you'll be put standby on the next flight.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tilhas
Silly question as it's never happened to me before BUT I see a BIG chance of it happening so I'd like to inquire.

Flying from BOS and I planned to arrive 2hrs prior but I'm told that BOS traffic on Friday evening isn't the standard 20min drive and goodluck being less than 1hr. So there is a chance I might only get there 45min before my flight (return rental car) and with TSA might miss the flight.
Do I just get bumped to the next flight? or do I need to see an agent at the airport? what happens exactly if I get to my gate and the plane is gone lol
Is there a next flight to your destination? If so, how likely is it to have available seats?

Have you considered returning your car to a non-airport location, and taking public transportation to the airport? From where will you be starting your drive?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Is there a next flight to your destination? If so, how likely is it to have available seats?

Have you considered returning your car to a non-airport location, and taking public transportation to the airport? From where will you be starting your drive?
Next flight seems open and I'd rather not leave at 730pm when I can leave at 515pm.
I have never returned a car to a different location before. I wonder what the additional charges are to do that.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Next flight seems open and I'd rather not leave at 730pm when I can leave at 515pm.
I have never returned a car to a different location before. I wonder what the additional charges are to do that.
It varies. With some rate codes, you can pick up at an airport and return to a nearby city or suburban location at no extra charge. But changing the return location after the rental has started might be a different story.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
I was flying BWI-JFK-LAX last August and there was a chemical spill on I-95 south resulting in an hour and a half drive turning into a three hour ordeal. I missed the checked bag cutoff by about 5 minutes, so I could either rebook the same itinerary for the next day, or they could put me on BWI-ORD-LAX. The BWI-ORD ended up having weather delays which would have caused me to misconnect, so I was moved to the next day's BWI-JFK-LAX. My point is, they're usually accommodating.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold

Silly Question. Why not just plan to arrive earlier at the airport? The only thing under YOUR control is to arrive earlier.

You have to speak to an agent at the airport so you are put on standby for the next available flight.
I don't think they will give you confirmed space on next flight, so standby it is.

Last edited by carlosdca; Apr 13, 2023 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 13, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Silly Question. Why not just plan to arrive earlier at the airport? The only thing under YOUR control is to arrive earlier.

You have to speak to an agent at the airport so you are put on standby for the next available flight.
I don't think they will give you confirmed space on next flight, so standby it is.
Actually there’s a new near-miss rule now, that allows you to be confirmed. The rule is roughly you have to be present at the airport prior to the scheduled departure time or something.
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: CK or bust
The first step is to recognize that you're not late for your flight.

The world was just early.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:15 pm

I second that, you know there is traffic, so why won't you just leave earlier to minimize the risk?
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Maybe he had a meeting that would go long?

Funny story...friend was unfamiliar with Logan, and chronically late. She flagged down a taxi - swerved near him, honking her horn...figured out she wanted him to pull over. Jumps out to tell him she's running late, would he lead her to her car rental, wait for her, and whisk her to the airport? Yes, yes, and he did.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enpremiere
The first step is to recognize that you're not late for your flight.

The world was just early.
Good points, he needs to understand that he will miss his flight and it will not be his fault.

This doesn't make any sense.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Funny story...friend was unfamiliar with Logan, and chronically late. She flagged down a taxi - swerved near him, honking her horn...figured out she wanted him to pull over. Jumps out to tell him she's running late, would he lead her to her car rental, wait for her, and whisk her to the airport? Yes, yes, and he did.
That's the best/only? way to book a taxi.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
The only off airport locations that I’m aware of is (or was) government center (garage is being demolished) and park plaza (doesn’t have easy access to Logan). Your best bet is to leave earlier if feasible or confirm onto the late flight then standby if you are concerned.

Dropping off other than the airport will likely take more time, and public transit requires the bus from the T stop.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Maybe he had a meeting that would go long?

He wrote that there is a flight two hours later. If you have a meeting that can go long- plan your time better and book the evening flight ahead, instead of being stressed.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
The only off airport locations that I’m aware of is (or was) government center (garage is being demolished) and park plaza (doesn’t have easy access to Logan). Your best bet is to leave earlier if feasible or confirm onto the late flight then standby if you are concerned.

Dropping off other than the airport will likely take more time, and public transit requires the bus from the T stop.
There are plenty of off airport locations, and you are right they are not convenient. I rented from Enterprise last year to pick up in Chelsea (near my friend's home). Got a call from Enterprise that Chelsea would be closed that day, had to pick up in Revere. THAT was a Royal PITA. But Enterprise is known for off-airport locations, not sure what other brands use. But believe it or not Revere (or the road on the way to there, VFW something) did have lots of the major car rental brands. The area around Logan is not one of the easiest to get around. I would book the later flight so I'd have plenty of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.