Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

First Class Passenger Dragged from AA Plane After Requesting PDB

Old Apr 10, 2023, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Yeah, I'm sure there is more to this story - but even if he was already tipsy, this could have been handled much better. Let's see if any lawsuits come of it.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/a...d-a-drink/amp/
A passenger has been forcibly removed from a plane after allegedly asking for a pre-flight cocktail. The incident took place on an American Airlines plane and a video of him being handcuffed has gone viral on Reddit. It appears a man asked the crew for a gin and tonic and was later informed that the pilot had requested his dismissal.

In the clip, the man is seen sitting in first class arguing with airport officials. Initially, the officers respectfully asked him to get off the flight several times. This prompted him to argue with flight attendants, the man repeatedly urges officials to let him know what crime he had committed to be denied travel on the flight. When the man does not comply with their demands, an officer can be seen taking his luggage out of the overhead compartment. Shortly thereafter, officers attempted to forcibly remove the man from his seat.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
There has to be a lot more to the story. Flight attendants that do not do PDBs and give minimal service try to do less work not more - kicking somebody off of an aircraft is a lot of work.

Considering that most of us here have flown thousands and thousands of flights without incident, with good crews and bad, I'm heavily leaning that this passenger wasn't an innocent bystander.
seawolf, Redhead, jmj9905 and 19 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:25 pm

One thing's clear: this was a really poor attempt to deescalate the situation from both sides.
DenverBrian, N1120A, FMDXR and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Absent a big scene, the police had no business being called and forcibly dragging off a passenger - there should be more detail somewhere on what actually happened, but I'm not finding it. If someone refuses to deplane and feels they are in the right, and the airline disagrees, the correct approach if the situation cannot be de-escalated is to deplane everyone and refuse to reboard the problem customer. We've read plenty of examples where that was done successfully without this kind of unnecessary chaos. Now if someone is violent, aggressive or otherwise, then perhaps that needs a different approach.
jmj9905, N1120A, FMDXR and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Absent a big scene, the police had no business being called and forcibly dragging off a passenger - there should be more detail somewhere on what actually happened, but I'm not finding it. If someone refuses to deplane and feels they are in the right, and the airline disagrees, the correct approach if the situation cannot be de-escalated is to deplane everyone and refuse to reboard the problem customer. We've read plenty of examples where that was done successfully without this kind of unnecessary chaos. Now if someone is violent, aggressive or otherwise, then perhaps that needs a different approach.
Why should every single other person be inconvenienced, and the flight delayed extensively?

The correct answer is that you argue once and if that doesn't go anywhere you comply and deal with it later. I get "randomly" searched and questioned by the TSA with regularity because I fit one of their profiles, arguing with them is pointless. I just smile nod deal with it and move on... The alternative is significantly worse for me.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:26 pm

The pax boarded late, and asked for a beverage as the FA was closing bins, and getting ready to close the door. He confronted her as she was in the cockpit, asking if the pilots were ready for door closure. The pax was irate, and demanded his drink, and threatened the FA. The Captain then said the pax was to be removed. At this point, it doesn't matter if he committed a crime or not, he's not going!
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:27 pm

Absent a big scene, the police had no business being called and forcibly dragging off a passenger
If the person was asked to leave and did not, then calling the Police is the appropriate way to deal with the issue ; the person would only have been forcibly removed if that person refused to comply with the request to leave
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:31 pm

I disagree. Service was denied to that passenger, end of story. Why 150 other poor souls need to be inconvenienced and a sub-set may miss connections?

I bartended in college. When we tossed someone, the smart ones would leave. The not so smart ones would deal with the bouncers and then the police would arrive. Based on what I saw on the video, my judgement alone, the PDB wasn't going to be his first drink of that day.
seawolf, Redhead, jmj9905 and 13 others like this.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Apr 10, 2023 at 8:41 pm
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Are we quite certain this is not a belated April Fool's prank aimed at the FT community?

ETA: Ah, just saw skylady 's post. I guess there is some there there.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:37 pm

The passenger certainly wasn't "dragged" off the plane as insinuated in the OPs headline. The departure from the aircraft can be seen in the video linked to by the OP.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
The pax boarded late, and asked for a beverage as the FA was closing bins, and getting ready to close the door. He confronted her as she was in the cockpit, asking if the pilots were ready for door closure. The pax was irate, and demanded his drink, and threatened the FA. The Captain then said the pax was to be removed. At this point, it doesn't matter if he committed a crime or not, he's not going!
@skylady. Thank you for all you do. I appreciate most can be a delight and others... well...
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What kind of jerkwad makes a scene and then threatens an FA, all over a friggin pre-departure beverage?

I wouldn't want him on my flight, either.
halls120, N1120A, trooper and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
When a passenger refuses to leave the plane after the Pilot and FAs ask then the police need to be involved

From the video, it looks like the police asked for the passenger to leave on his own for a couple of minutes

Then of course he begins to cry and scream like a little child when real life hits him.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
What airport is this at?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack
One thing's clear: this was a really poor attempt to deescalate the situation from both sides.
It is tough to deescalate with a drunk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.