New AA Award Chart with Dynamic Pricing

Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by Smiley90
BA where you might as well pay 90% of the cash price in surcharges doesn't really count here arguably...
fair point, but there are still flights on american metal and no surcharge for under the new 'starting at' 75k one way. I think the cheapest I saw was 63k after 10 seconds of searching. and thats typically been my experience. look today and all the flights are on BA with a surcharge. look next week and plenty more american metal opens up.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by stant
fair point, but there are still flights on american metal and no surcharge for under the new 'starting at' 75k one way. I think the cheapest I saw was 63k after 10 seconds of searching. and thats typically been my experience. look today and all the flights are on BA with a surcharge. look next week and plenty more american metal opens up.
just curious what time frame were you looking at? Q1 24?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
BA where you might as well pay 90% of the cash price in surcharges doesn't really count here arguably...
Even more idiotic, the cash pay using BA Avios on the same flight is significantly less the amount than it is on AA. AA charges $1578 in surcharges and taxes, BA charges $902 for the same award flights (DFW-LHR-GVA).

and then the craziest thing is that if AA charges more than the saaver award amount then the partner airline overseas is unbookable on the same award.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
Wait... but what will FAs have left to say for in-flight credit card pitches now? That the 50k sign up bonus can get you a one-way economy flight to Boise ID?
Over the years its been to Europe then Hawaii, and now Boise.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Over the years its been to Europe then Hawaii, and now Boise.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
But when there are schedule changes you can at least rebook, I assume, otherwise this would be really messed up.
Yes, I have had flight cancellations and the rebooking options are pretty good on awards. They usually even give you a list of flights to choose that have those seats available on the planes, not even checking if they are award available at that point.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:16 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
What I don't understand is why the exact same flights are triple or quadruple the miles vs. booking with AS miles.
This is infuriating.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
Wait... but what will FAs have left to say for in-flight credit card pitches now? That the 50k sign up bonus can get you a one-way economy flight to Boise ID?
"Earn enough miles to ride the bus between PHL and ACY."
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by zmnyc
Guesses on how long it takes for them to nerf partner awards?
Likewise will they need to give a little more notice before they nerf partner redemptions?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by stant
I'm still seeing plenty of availability to europe for the normalt 57.5k miles...
Im assuming thats with BA vs AA?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EP, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hurnik
Ouch. Glad I booked our tickets when I did. SJD-ALB on 10/8 I snagged for 60k in F. Now they are ALL 95k. For comparison, UA wanted 135k and DL wanted 125k (but once I login I believe UA went down to 125k and DL went down the 15%). However, UA for that flight date only had 12+ hour flights (overnights). DL had a one-stop (SJD-ATL-ALB) but still was almost double what AA wanted. Well, until now.
95,000 is worth around $1662.50 - not a good deal at all and they know that. What a joke.
hurnik likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Literally the only reason I've continued to accumulate miles on AA (via purchases, bonus times, etc) is to redeem them on AA.com for BA-metal flights to Europe. If even that is a fool's errand now, then I have no reason to stick around at all.

Swear to god AA, more than any other domestic carrier, goes as far out of their way as possible to give their customers the finger.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:55 pm

but on the flipside, you get far better food and service. (at least in my experience)
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Likewise will they need to give a little more notice before they nerf partner redemptions?
That was your notice, consider yourself notified.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It's simply not worth it to play the loyalty game anymore. Book biz on the cheapest airline for the route you want, if you prefer business class.

If you fly economy then book the cheapest and pay for exit row plus get a credit card that allows you lounge access.

There is little, if any, value in these programs anymore.

For me, flying premium economy overseas with an Amex Platinum/chase sapphire seems to be the sweet spot at the moment for lounge access, comfort and speedy security lines.
tbh, I really think that's where we're at as well now. Things like hotels, rental cars, etc still have some redeemable value prop to them, and I suppose generic points/cashback schemes will always be at least somewhat useful. But airline loyalty is just dead writ large.
enviroian likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.