Choose a different flight or fare

Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Choose a different flight or fare

I'm trying to book HKT-DFW or HKT-AUS on the AA website. They present me with a calendar of dates and prices, then when I select the lowest prices for the round trip, inevitably I get the "choose a different flight or fare" message except on the most expensive flights. The fare prices keep fluctuating on the lowest price, so I'm wondering if this error goes away at some point if they are indeed adjusting prices, or if this is just a bait and switch showing lower priced fares but not actually having them. This is quite frustrating to say the least. Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
more likely an IT glitch - if you know the exact flights, an Agent on phone can help you put it together for the price you saw and put it on hold for you to ticket on the web..
Old Mar 23, 2023, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This is an aa.com/IT/fare/cache issue that has been around forever and pops up every now and then, especially with more complex searches involving partners.

You can try piecing the flights together with Google Flights to see if it can combine them for whatever the "real" price is. Otherwise call AA as mentioned, although the "real" price that an agent can book may or may not be whatever aa.com is displaying that errors out.

“Choose a different flight or fare“ message on AA site
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Multi-city searches on Google Flights and ITA Matrix don't look at married segment inventory when combining flights on a single fare component (it only looks at individual flight bucket inventory). This can lead to spurious fare quotes as they should be using married segment inventory when combining segments on one fare component.

Correct one-way fare quote -- V fare based on V5 married segment inventory on flights as seen from EF above.

Bogus fare quote - G fare but no G bucket available on married segments. Note quote below is not composed of separate fares, but a single G3AHZNN1 fare covering both segments.

End result when attempting to purchase the G fare on flights on aa.com.

murphy likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 23, 2023 at 7:51 am
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

As a follow up, I finally managed to get a booking. I don't know if signing up as an AA member helped, but after signing up as a member and then playing around for a few hours, a decent price finally was bookable. HKT-DOH-BOS-DFW It will be a long trip, but this routing was about $1000 cheaper than booking Qatar directly, or using the higher priced options on AA site,
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
I have the same issue with any flight I'd like to book.
S80 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:18 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This is an aa.com/IT/fare/cache issue that has been around forever and pops up every now and then, especially with more complex searches involving partners.

You can try piecing the flights together with Google Flights to see if it can combine them for whatever the "real" price is. Otherwise call AA as mentioned, although the "real" price that an agent can book may or may not be whatever aa.com is displaying that errors out.

“Choose a different flight or fare“ message on AA site
It frequently happens to me with domestic flights all on AA. I find the flights and fare that I like on Google Flights, click through, and it fails. I see the same flights for the same price on AA.com, I click through, it fails, and I give up.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:27 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Having the same issue for JFK-IST on BA in F. I want to book via AA flight numbers so I can get the proper LPs as per the fare.
Worst case I'm going to try booking via an OTA.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:48 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S.R
Having the same issue for JFK-IST on BA in F. I want to book via AA flight numbers so I can get the proper LPs as per the fare.
Worst case I'm going to try booking via an OTA.
Update, called in and the agent was able to book the flights I wanted at the same price I saw online!
Quail likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Thank you for updating us and giving us a data point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.