Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gift Status for a Day - New Loyalty Point Tier Benefit

Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: $9 Fare Club

It's innovative, I'll give them that, but man I'd be unhappy to get skipped over for an upgrade by a non status member on one of these.

However having said that (and to be entirely hypocritical), I can see myself using this for my OH when she's doing a solo flight.

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...ce-with-miles/

Details:

40,000 Loyalty Points
  • Gift of AAdvantage Gold status for a day.
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum status for a day.
75,000 Loyalty Points
  • Gift of AAdvantage Platinum status for a day.
125,000 Loyalty Points
  • Gift of AAdvantage Platinum Pro status for a day.
200,000 Loyalty Points
  • Gift of AAdvantage Executive Platinum status for a day.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:16 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
It's innovative, I'll give them that, but man I'd be unhappy to get skipped over for an upgrade by a non status member on one of these.

However having said that (and to be entirely hypocritical), I can see myself using this for my OH when she's doing a solo flight.

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...ce-with-miles/

Details:

40,000 Loyalty Points
  • Gift of AAdvantage Gold status for a day.
75,000 Loyalty Points
  • Gift of AAdvantage Platinum status for a day.
125,000 Loyalty Points
  • Gift of AAdvantage Platinum Pro status for a day.
200,000 Loyalty Points
  • Gift of AAdvantage Executive Platinum status for a day.
It depends on where in the upgrade order they put you. If it's EP with the same level of LPs you have in terms of priority for upgrades, then I'm happy with that.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Considering SWUs still cant be redeemed online and the hold times these days, I sure am glad AA is dedicating IT and call center resources for this program
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This one is a bit of a head scratcher, I'm sure AA will love it if anyone redeems their hard earned miles for what will potentially be worthless status benefits for one day.

Seats: your no status friend won't get to select MCE/Preferred seats until the day of departure when their "status for a day" kicks in. Relegated to whatever is left.

Upgrades: your no status friend won't be on the upgrade list until the day of departure, so they've already been skipped over for any upgrades released at the 100/72/48/24 windows. Of course once they do make it on the upgrade list they will be at the bottom of that status group.

Cost: the article mentioned 15k for Gold for a day, so is anyone really going to spend probably 30-60k miles to gift someone PLT or EXP for one day? Just use those miles to upgrade them or buy a J award etc.

I'm all for interesting ways to use miles but I don't see anyone who has a pulse on the AA status benefits game wasting their miles on this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
One situation where I could see it being useful: if you have a friend/family member on an international itinerary with a long layover at a hub with a Flagship lounge and have an excess of miles, and assuming no upgrades available, then it could be helpful to give someone a treat.

Yeah I had to stretch for that one.
renila, la2clt, njvandy and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:29 pm
S80

Originally Posted by wrp96
One situation where I could see it being useful: if you have a friend/family member on an international itinerary with a long layover at a hub with a Flagship lounge and have an excess of miles, and assuming no upgrades available, then it could be helpful to give someone a treat.

Yeah I had to stretch for that one.
Given that you can get a single visit pass for 15000 miles - are they going to have to capacity restrict the whole program then that they capacity restrict the passes?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think AA has realized that there are some people who want to have "status" even if it makes no economic sense. The new program that sells status via spend, at no cost to AA, is genius.

Now, AA is giving you the opportunity to show off to your friends how important you are, and you can gift them the elevated "status" everyone wishes to have, all for just 15k miles which you weren't going to use anyway since you don't fly much!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Now, AA is giving you the opportunity to show off to your friends how important you are, and you can gift them the elevated "status" everyone wishes to have, all for just 15k miles which you weren't going to use anyway since you don't fly much!
Not so important, when the status can only be gifted to an advantage member. LoL. "Here's a gift, but oh yeh, some paperwork for you to complete first, and welcome to AA!"

Here's the full terms & conditions (copied from the Points Guy link above). Lots of restrictions in the details.
  • Once purchased, status for a day cannot be changed, exchanged, modified, or transferred.
  • Status for a day is nonrefundable.
  • If your selected day is impacted by an involuntary flight cancellation, please contact AAdvantage customer service.
  • Recipient of gift of status must be an AAdvantage member.
  • Status for a day can only be gifted to an AAdvantage member without status or holding a status tier lower than the gifted tier.
  • If your gift of status recipient earns the gifted tier or higher on their own before their use of the gift of status for a day, contact AAdvantage customer service.
  • The date selected by your recipient to use the award must be at least 7 days in advance of the desired usage date.
  • Recipients of status for a day must choose a day to use their award within 372 days from receipt.
  • Recipients who do not already have access to complimentary Preferred or Main Cabin Extra seats when the day is chosen will receive 4
  • Preferred seat coupons in their AAdvantage account.
  • In cases where seat coupons are deposited, they will expire 2 days after the selected date and must be applied to travel before expiration.
  • Travel date must be before the coupon expiration date.
  • Status benefits and seat coupons cannot be applied retroactively to ancillaries which have already been purchased.
  • Complimentary upgrades and access to Preferred and Main Cabin Extra seats for status for a day recipient and companion(s) are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights.
  • Members who have AAdvantage status through status for a day are not eligible for discounts on Admirals Club memberships other than what your earned tier status may provide.
  • Status for a day is only available on American Airlines marketed and operated flights.
  • Gift of status for a day is limited to 2 purchases per member, per unlocked Loyalty Point level available until the expiration date shown in your AAdvantage account.
  • Applies to all ticket types including purchased, award and employee travel.
  • AAdvantage program terms and conditions apply.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anyone seeing these in the rewards section of the webpage or app? When I look, it still jumps from 15k to 60k (no 40k level)
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:33 pm
S80

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is anyone seeing these in the rewards section of the webpage or app? When I look, it still jumps from 15k to 60k (no 40k level)
Yes, it's under the `enhance with miles` tab which appears to be new.
https://www.aa.com/aadvantage-progra...nce-with-miles
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I see, I had to update the app for that option to appear
S80 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:03 pm

Funny thing is I have an offer to upgrade to Platinum for the current loyalty year - for 22,500 miles. Who would pay 15,000 miles for one day of Platinum when AA is sending offers like this?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I could maybe, MAYBE see value in gifting someone Plat for a long layover at an airport like LHR where they could access OW partner lounges.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This one is a bit of a head scratcher, I'm sure AA will love it if anyone redeems their hard earned miles for what will potentially be worthless status benefits for one day.

Seats: your no status friend won't get to select MCE/Preferred seats until the day of departure when their "status for a day" kicks in. Relegated to whatever is left.

Upgrades: your no status friend won't be on the upgrade list until the day of departure, so they've already been skipped over for any upgrades released at the 100/72/48/24 windows. Of course once they do make it on the upgrade list they will be at the bottom of that status group.

Cost: the article mentioned 15k for Gold for a day, so is anyone really going to spend probably 30-60k miles to gift someone PLT or EXP for one day? Just use those miles to upgrade them or buy a J award etc.

I'm all for interesting ways to use miles but I don't see anyone who has a pulse on the AA status benefits game wasting their miles on this.
Originally Posted by S80
Given that you can get a single visit pass for 15000 miles - are they going to have to capacity restrict the whole program then that they capacity restrict the passes?
These are listed as Loyalty point levels, not mileage point redemptions... And since they're at the same levels as the you Loyalty rewards, I think these are rewards you'll be able to select when reaching the listed LP levels, not items they are selling for purchase with miles... anyone else?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by ptsailor
These are listed as Loyalty point levels, not mileage point redemptions... And since they're at the same levels as the you Loyalty rewards, I think these are rewards you'll be able to select when reaching the listed LP levels, not items they are selling for purchase with miles... anyone else?

Now that I look.. I see that it is both. Do we get a price list for all of the 'opportunities?'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.