FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Missing numerous PE amenities - complaint worthy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2115499-missing-numerous-pe-amenities-complaint-worthy.html)

PHL Mar 18, 2023 9:27 am

Missing numerous PE amenities - complaint worthy?

A recent HNL-DFW flight in PE was missing several of the advertised amenities:

1.) No noise-reducing headphones (apologetically told they weren't loaded, but Biz customers had them)
2.) blanket and pillow were not Casper. Flimsy blanket, narrow pillow.
3.) Meal was a shrink wrapped turkey sandwich in a cardboard box.

The ticket was sold as PE on a flagship route, so these weren't just considered MCE seats on a domestic flight with the reduced service that goes with them. So, while I can certainly fire off a customer service email, I'm not sure how far that will go. That they don't treat a long haul flagship flight as it's marketed is a big let down.

I flew UA PE from ORD-HNL on a shiny new 3 month old 787-10. The PE seats were identical, but with full leg/root rests in every row. UA, however, does not advertise an amenity kit or bedding so I wasn't miffed when those weren't provided. The overall experience on that 9 1/2 hour flight was enjoyable versus the AA 7 1/2 hour flight that lacked so many advertised components. I only wound up on the UA leg because AA was charging a significant amount more on the date I was flying.

enviroian Mar 18, 2023 9:31 am

Sorry to hear you got duped. Are you sure this route isn't specifically excluded? I only ask as in the link you provided AA mentions specifically a destination that is included (AK).

For the complimentary drinks I like this little caveat they shot in there:

The number of drinks served may be limited.

PHL Mar 18, 2023 9:47 am

It's true that they do mention that limitation of 787-8 flights having PE only for international and AK only. Maybe this is because it flies a lot of domestic routes? But that raises the question of intra-continental US domestic routes periodically flown with a 789/772. Currently on the HNL/OGG - DFW routes, they are flying 772 and 789s so they can't hide behind that footnote in this case. I did edit my original post because I thought I was due an amenity kit, but the footnote says that it's only on international flights.

Watch what happens over the coming month when they review my complaint and update the web site to indicate that *ALL* the PE amenities will be footnoted with 'international flights only" so they can sell PE seats from DFW to Hawaii and not be obligated to offer you anything more than what someone in main cabin gets. Or they'll break down exactly what markets get the PE benefits at all.

PHL Mar 18, 2023 9:49 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 35097115)

For the complimentary drinks I like this little caveat they shot in there:

The number of drinks served may be limited.

Funny you mention that - on the cardboard box meal service I did ask for a double Woodford. The FA said they "aren't doing doubles any more". I asked if that means I can just press the call button when I'm ready for another and he said 'absolutely'. So I did that a short bit later and he came by with a fresh plastic cup of ice and mini.

enviroian Mar 18, 2023 10:00 am

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 35097151)
It's true that they do mention that limitation of 787-8 flights having PE only for international and AK only. Maybe this is because it flies a lot of domestic routes? But that raises the question of intra-continental US domestic routes periodically flown with a 789/772.

Well I've flown PE on positioning heavies (sounds like a phrase from the match.com thread :D) and had only MCE service.

PHL Mar 18, 2023 10:13 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 35097181)
Well I've flown PE on positioning heavies (sounds like a phrase from the match.com thread :D) and had only MCE service.

Yep, and that's been the norm. Those repositioning flights also did not likely sell Flagship business either, so someone up in a lie flat pod wouldn't have any reason to expect Casper bedding or FL access. I think the verbiage on the PE page on aa.com will need to be updated to clarify some points, though I do believe the exDFW Hawaii flights are treated as an international long haul with all the amenities that go with it.

HiAperture Mar 18, 2023 10:26 am

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 35097220)
… though I do believe the exDFW Hawaii flights are treated as an international long haul with all the amenities that go with it.

Not from what I have seen. What the OP posted is what Hawaii premium econ (sold as PE) has looked like at least since Covid.

No amenities kit, no long haul bedding, no plated hot meals, etc. Just a bigger seat.

VegasGambler Mar 18, 2023 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by HiAperture (Post 35097249)
Not from what I have seen. What the OP posted is what Hawaii premium econ (sold as PE) has looked like at least since Covid.

No amenities kit, no long haul bedding, no plated hot meals, etc. Just a bigger seat.

If it's a one-off, not getting what you paid for is worth a complaint. If it's actually policy to advertise one thing and provide something else, that's worth a DOT complaint. They need to change their advertising to match what they are delivering (this is all assuming that they are actually advertising that, and that the route or destination is not excluded)

Magnum9 Mar 18, 2023 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
A recent HNL-DFW flight in PE was missing several of the advertised amenities:

1.) No noise-reducing headphones (apologetically told they weren't loaded, but Biz customers had them)
2.) blanket and pillow were not Casper. Flimsy blanket, narrow pillow.
3.) Meal was a shrink wrapped turkey sandwich in a cardboard box.

The ticket was sold as PE on a flagship route, so these weren't just considered MCE seats on a domestic flight with the reduced service that goes with them. So, while I can certainly fire off a customer service email, I'm not sure how far that will go. That they don't treat a long haul flagship flight as it's marketed is a big let down.

I flew UA PE from ORD-HNL on a shiny new 3 month old 787-10. The PE seats were identical, but with full leg/root rests in every row. UA, however, does not advertise an amenity kit or bedding so I wasn't miffed when those weren't provided. The overall experience on that 9 1/2 hour flight was enjoyable versus the AA 7 1/2 hour flight that lacked so many advertised components. I only wound up on the UA leg because AA was charging a significant amount more on the date I was flying.

In addition the 787-8 only offering specific amenities on international and AK flights, the link you provided above says:

Amenities

Shinola and D.S. & Durga amenity kit**

Get comfortable with travel essentials from leading design and lifestyle brands Shinola and D.S. & Durga.

Casper sleep set

We’ve got comfort covered with a pillow and blanket created alongside sleep technology company Casper exclusively for us.

**Only available on international flights

I don’t think AA was purposefully trying to be deceptive, but they can do a better job articulating that Casper bedding is only on international flights by adding a double asterisk next to ‘set.’ Otherwise, if it’s just the amenity kit that’s on international flights the disclaimer should have been under that section. The fact it’s under both the amenity kit and Casper bedding reads to me that both are international only amenities. Just poorly articulated.

The other reason I don’t think they’re trying to be deceptive is because you mention the flight crew apologized about the lack of noise canceling headphones. That says to me they knew this was supposed to be included in the service and wasn’t. The fact they didn’t apologize for the lack of Casper bedding sounds like what you got was the norm.

However, I am intrigued by your enjoyable review of UA’s PE ORD-HNL service. You mention you got no bedding at all on that flight, yet even though you got a blanket and pillow on AA (just not Casper) and the UA flight was 2-hours longer, you still found it a better experience because UA doesn’t advertise amenity kits (neither does AA)? It couldn’t have been UA’s food as their international Polaris Business food is abysmal, so I shutter to think what domestic PE would be like. Was it because of a foot rest?

Stripe Mar 18, 2023 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Magnum9 (Post 35097955)
However, I am intrigued by your enjoyable review of UA’s PE ORD-HNL service. You mention you got no bedding at all on that flight, yet even though you got a blanket and pillow on AA (just not Casper) and the UA flight was 2-hours longer, you still found it a better experience because UA doesn’t advertise amenity kits (neither does AA)? It couldn’t have been UA’s food as their international Polaris Business food is abysmal, so I shutter to think what domestic PE would be like. Was it because of a foot rest?

It's all about managing expectations. He bought a "Premium Economy" ticket, not MCE. Based on his reasonable reading of the promised amenities he was disappointed in the bare bones service offered, which no doubt colored his overall impression of the trip. Moreover, on a red eye the quality of the bedding can take on an outsized importance. On the UA flight he got what he expected and came away feeling more satisfied, especially considering the lower price.

corky Mar 18, 2023 8:56 pm

It was worth it for this guy to complain when he didn't get what was advertised.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...082b9ed25aea18

S80 Mar 18, 2023 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Magnum9 (Post 35097955)
In addition the 787-8 only offering specific amenities on international and AK flights, the link you provided above says:

Amenities

Shinola and D.S. & Durga amenity kit**

Get comfortable with travel essentials from leading design and lifestyle brands Shinola and D.S. & Durga.

Casper sleep set

We’ve got comfort covered with a pillow and blanket created alongside sleep technology company Casper exclusively for us.

**Only available on international flights

I don’t think AA was purposefully trying to be deceptive, but they can do a better job articulating that Casper bedding is only on international flights by adding a double asterisk next to ‘set.’ Otherwise, if it’s just the amenity kit that’s on international flights the disclaimer should have been under that section. The fact it’s under both the amenity kit and Casper bedding reads to me that both are international only amenities. Just poorly articulated.

The other reason I don’t think they’re trying to be deceptive is because you mention the flight crew apologized about the lack of noise canceling headphones. That says to me they knew this was supposed to be included in the service and wasn’t. The fact they didn’t apologize for the lack of Casper bedding sounds like what you got was the norm.

I do think AA can do a better job, particularly on the non-international self-described "premium" or "flagship" flights. Take the flight options below for example:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ef851a9b5e.png

Ignoring the price, one could think that the one offered under "First" would be a more premium offering, as we're taught to believe that the offerings go up from Economy, Premium Economy, Business, and then First, particularly as the "Flagship" branding is included (which is only also included on International flights). Due to the market needs (not disputing the fact that there is heavy premium demand between specific city pairs and all the airlines are competing with their products), AA has diluted the "Flagship" branding here by including it on sets of flights where no lie flat seat at all is offered. I would expect this if there was a positioning flight to a hub on a jet with only domestic first, but then a lie flat product with all the amenities included on the long leg, but AA is now including it on flights that don't have the amenities, let alone the seat, associated with the "Flagship" branding. Anyone who is slightly tuned into the news (say, a semi-frequent pleasure traveler) could look and say, oh, this is the new A321 Neo that has the new flagship suites that AA has been teasing, without realizing it.
Now for the premium economy bit: Say, for example, that someone has recently gone on another international flight in premium economy, and saw the flagship branding on Business and/or First tickets. Thinking, "hey, I got these nice amenities on that flight that had ""Flagship"" offerings, and it was worth the extra money for me for the soft product, let's book this ticket", they might also be disappointed that they have to dig through all the marketing and whatnot just to find out what exactly is offered for each city pair, particularly given that flights to Hawaii are treated different based on the distance of the overwater leg.

Magnum9 Mar 20, 2023 10:30 am

@S80 I totally agree and your example is spot on. That specific case of AA using “Flagship” for non lie-flat A321 flights is very deceptive. That’s awful marketing and feels like it could warrant a complaint to the DOT.

Magnum9 Mar 20, 2023 10:31 am

Originally Posted by corky
It was worth it for this guy to complain when he didn't get what was advertised.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...082b9ed25aea18

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing. I wonder how successful anyone in the U.S. would be filing a similar suit against EK or any airline that falsely advertises the actual product being offered.