Search

A321neo First class experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
A321neo First class experience

Hi-

I just booked a CLT-SFO trip in May, it's a pretty long flight and I'm wondering if all the complaints about this experience are accurate or exaugurated? I just want some comfort and can use my personal device for entertainment although I'd rather have a screen. I picked 1A but can change to 4F if that is more recommended for the long distance A321neo trip.

Thanks,
Paul
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Paul510
Hi-

I just booked a CLT-SFO trip in May, it's a pretty long flight and I'm wondering if all the complaints about this experience are accurate or exaugurated? I just want some comfort and can use my personal device for entertainment although I'd rather have a screen. I picked 1A but can change to 4F if that is more recommended for the long distance A321neo trip.

Thanks,
Paul
I flew CLT-PHX in MCE, and I was fine. You'll survive.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Exp
I've found that complaints (or lack of) surrounding any kind of premium cabin on any airline vary greatly based on expectations and past experience.
lowfareair and jmj9905 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:36 am

Seat comfort on the NEO is no different than any run of the mill A321.

IME, the FC seat complaints are very exaggerated.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's domestic first class on a recliner seat so I'm unsure what everyone's complaining about? It's significantly better then MCE as it's roomier and doesn't have a middle seat, but it's not a lie flat like a 787. It's not a bad plane, it's the service you should be worried about, but that's always hit or miss; I've only had maybe 2 bad service flights in the last 40.

Only feedback I'd give you is that seat backs have a collapsible stand to hold your tablet/phone so they can be at face height (think replacement IFE screen), but seat 1A does not have this since it's bulkhead so you'd need to either hold up your tablet/phone or use your tray table which means looking down the entire flight. If you want the extra few inches (pitch is fine already without bulkhead) or need to easily use the bathroom then stick with 1A. If you don't want to stare down for ~6 hours, select 4A to use the back headrest stand instead.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
It's oasis F like any other AA plane out there. I flew one Thursday to Charlotte. Two options for meals (I didn't eat as it was 3 pm) are a nice short rib dish (seatmate's dish looked good) and some grain concoction with purple and red mousse on the side that looked disgusting. Service was efficient and attentive.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
The complaints are relative to the way better pmAA F seats. These seats have reduced pitch, reduced padding, and no entertainment. They are a complete joke and I personally find it hard if not impossible to sleep in them, relative to the old F seats. Better than Y? Sure, but what a sad commentary that is.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
IME, the FC seat complaints are very exaggerated.
Agreed. I have no problems with the newer FC seats.
BWISkyGuy and F9LASDEN like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Agreed. I have no problems with the newer FC seats.
Same here... I also don't find them THAT much less comfortable than LAA's previous 737 or A319/321 regular F seat. Sure the pitch is less, but since Kodiak I don't find the padding any different, and LAA didn't have in-seat video on all its domestic narrow bodies anyway. I don't find them any less comfortable than the current counterpart seats on DL or UA, and that means a whole lot more to me (and frankly is more relevant financially/competitively) than comparing to previous seats. I can love the old, think, soft (even in coach) seats of my youth all I want, but they make no sense today. Unless I have a time machine, it's not a product currently offered by any of AA's direct competitors.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Unless you have what I'd consider ridiculous expectations, I think you'll enjoy the seat and be comfortable. I would recommend row 4 instead of row 1 if you plan on watching videos with a tablet as the holder on the back of the seat in front of you from row 4 is very helpful. Enjoy the flight!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
I personally wouldn't pick a seat in Row 1 on any AA domestic aircraft as I like having access to my backpack plus as others have noted, the device holder is handy to have. Row 4 as suggested by Matt above is a good choice, you'll be able to fully recline guilt free.

But there's really no difference in F seat across the fleet, service is probably a tad slower in an A321 because of 20 seats vs 16, but with that comes better upgrade opportunities. Sure, we'd all love to be in the 8 seat J cabin of an A319, but try getting that upgrade if you're not super high LP EXP or a CK.
joeyE likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have to bring a cushion to sit comfortably in a narrow body AA F seat. So much less comfortable than pre Oasis. It’s ok with the cushion.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I don't have a ton of FC experience - mainly with Alaska 737s but did fly an AA 321 FC recently. In comparison I didn't like the 321 as much but it's kind of splitting hairs. Any FC seat is worlds better than being crammed into coach. Frequent drinks and a warmed up plate of gas station teriyaki? Sure.... I'm happy. BUT, if I were to complain.... the AA seats (compared to Alaska) are quite hard. The amount plastic bins, fold out holders, "flappers" to hold various devices, etc. is beyond ridiculous. It's as if they design the seat for an octopus that has a cell phone, tablet and laptop in each tentacle. I mean really... I have a cell phone and maybe one other device. I'd gladly trade one of the 12 storage spots for a padded armrest or better cup holder. I feel like I'm in the back of a police car with all the plastic seats, armrests, vomit spots, etc. (I've never actually been in the back of a squad car but have seen pictures). I suppose I should qualify all this by saying I'm not rich enough to pay for FC but do fly enough to get a lot of upgrades. If paying I'd be pretty disappointed with the AA setup.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Avoid row 1 on any/all aircraft on any airline, unless that's all that's open.
catmndu and joeyE like this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by beachfan
I have to bring a cushion to sit comfortably in a narrow body AA F seat. So much less comfortable than pre Oasis. It’s ok with the cushion.
That's a bit precious tbh. The F seats are perfectly fine.
USFlyerUS, GNRMatt and joeyE like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.