Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Tax Payments on Barclay Aviator only net .5 LPs and .5 miles/dollar spent???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:22 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Woah....I am getting my income taxes done and looking back at my 4/22 Aviator Silver Card Statement I am showing that my transaction only netted me .5 miles per dollar. (I don't watch my LPs earned like a hawk, sadly)!!!

What the heck???? Am I missing something here???? Shouldn't I get at least 1mile per dollar spent?

I was planning on throwing $30k on my card for income taxes next month but if I am only netting .5 LPs per dollar I'm just going to get another AMEX Platinum for a massive SUB.

davecraze likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Interesting - can't add much to your question as I don't carry any AA cards. However, I am displeased at myself for not knowing that you can pay taxes with a credit card. Missed opportunity for my estimated taxes last year
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
It’s 1LP per dollar for IRS tax payments on the AA Citicard and I put significant personal income taxes on it. No idea why it would not be on the Barclays card.

Last edited by davecraze; Mar 5, 2023 at 7:10 pm
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:09 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davecraze
It’s 1LP per dollar for IRS tax payments on the AA Citicard. No idea why it would not be on the Barclays card.
You are correct.

I also put $9k of my income taxes on my Citi AA card last year and it posted 9k LPs.....but the Barclay Card only awarded .5 as shown in my screenshot above.

Really looking forward to our members replying here....
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 355F1
Woah....I am getting my income taxes done and looking back at my 4/22 Aviator Silver Card Statement I am showing that my transaction only netted me .5 miles per dollar. (I don't watch my LPs earned like a hawk, sadly)!!!

What the heck???? Am I missing something here???? Shouldn't I get at least 1mile per dollar spent?

I was planning on throwing $30k on my card for income taxes next month but if I am only netting .5 LPs per dollar I'm just going to get another AMEX Platinum for a massive SUB.

Even if the taxes are supposed to redeem at 0.5LP/dollar (a rate that nothing else to my knowledge should be the LP rate for with the silver card), the service fee certainly should not have given LP at that rate.

Have you called the Barclays Silver card customer service number? They have been very enlightening and helpful when I've spoken with them about these things. Interested to hear what they say.

Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:47 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Rossodio
Even if the taxes are supposed to redeem at 0.5LP/dollar (a rate that nothing else to my knowledge should be the LP rate for with the silver card), the service fee certainly should not have given LP at that rate.

Have you called the Barclays Silver card customer service number? They have been very enlightening and helpful when I've spoken with them about these things. Interested to hear what they say.
I will call them in the next 24hrs.
davecraze and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Interesting - can't add much to your question as I don't carry any AA cards. However, I am displeased at myself for not knowing that you can pay taxes with a credit card. Missed opportunity for my estimated taxes last year
It's not a no-brainer, though - there is a small 1-2% fee, but can be worth it in some situations!
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Zolor23
It's not a no-brainer, though - there is a small 1-2% fee, but can be worth it in some situations!
Man, if I could take all of the money I get withheld for state and federal tax and instead at the end of the year charge it to my card, I would get some fantastic additional miles. Too bad my company won't allow me to do this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Which card do you have? Red, Silver, Blue or White?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:41 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Which card do you have? Red, Silver, Blue or White?
Silver
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:41 pm

Just checked my Feb. 5 statement - paid $9900 in estimated taxes + like $185 in fees on my Barclay's Silver and got the full allotment of miles and Loyalty Points.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
Silver
Are you sure you don't have the barebones Aviator Card that is silver colored (but not named the silver)? It earns 1 RDM/LP per $2.

https://creditcards.aa.com/barclay-c...es-aadvantage/

If you have the $199/year Aviator Silver (the name of the card) then you should definitely call asap.

Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Are you sure you don't have the barebones Aviator Card that is silver colored (but not named the silver)? It earns 1 RDM/LP per $2.

If you have the $199/year Aviator Silver (the name of the card) then you should definitely call asap.

Yeah, my guess is OP has the no-fee card.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Rossodio
Man, if I could take all of the money I get withheld for state and federal tax and instead at the end of the year charge it to my card, I would get some fantastic additional miles. Too bad my company won't allow me to do this.
One of those cases where the effort may not be worth the reward. It's nice having someone else manage your withholding vs having to do it quarterly!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:06 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Drwaz99

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yeah, my guess is OP has the no-fee card.
I have the Silver Card, 100% guaranteed. I'll dig into this tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.