Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to see the upgrade list in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental

How far in advance can the upgrade list be seen, and how would I go about it?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
12 hours before departure

You can't see the list prior to that.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Would I look on the app or online?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Would I look on the app or online?
app. It will tell you who's on the list and how many F seats are left (latter info relatively new addition)
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
app. It will tell you who's on the list and how many F seats are left (latter info relatively new addition)
@ the bottom of the page, there is a tab "wait list" It shows the initials of pax on the list in the order that they are eligible. In the upper right hand side, in red and small font the # of available seats its shown (as noted, a new feature).
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Also keep in mind that what you can see in the app is the airport waitlist, and pax will not show up on this list until they check in. So the list will generally look different at T-6 hours than it does at T-1.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
12 hours before departure

You can't see the list prior to that.
You can if you know an AA employee, or retiree/spouse. They can see all load factors, nice for them for non-rev planning.
onanisland likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 6:21 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by born sleepy
You can if you know an AA employee, or retiree/spouse. They can see all load factors, nice for them for non-rev planning.
Load factors are completely different than upgrade waitlists. I would think that's something AA would keep available only to revenue management and those with 'need to know' authorization.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
That doesn’t mean they know how to interpret the load factors correctly. Ie employee sees a flight to Barcelona with 15 seats in J 8 days from now. Books a trip and on the day of departure there are 2 seats in J and 33 non revs.

I’d say it wouldn’t matter because the upgrade lists at Checkin T-24 and T-12 can change drastically as not everyone checks in at Checkin time.

OP ; Just check the waitlist on the AA app ; the closer to departure the better of an idea you’ll have.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Also, as a data point, I've been battlefield upgraded several times when the red "seats available" was at zero.

All the best, James
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by PHL
Load factors are completely different than upgrade waitlists. I would think that's something AA would keep available only to revenue management and those with 'need to know' authorization.
OK, maybe the wrong choice of words. They can see the u/g waitlists ahead of the general public.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:53 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
OK, maybe the wrong choice of words. They can see the u/g waitlists ahead of the general public.
That surprises me that an employee with no reason/need to see waitlists in advance would have it. I don't think an employee looking at yields for possible non-rev travel would have such a need. People on the waitlist are already confirmed on the flight, so they would know the loads without needing to know the waitlist and how customer names are ranked.

So much for the least privilege concept. But I know this is AA and their IT practices may not be in line with modern standards....
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The phone agents, at least on the EXP desk, used to be able to see the SWU waitlists. They weren't supposed to tell you where you were on the list but once or twice I persuaded one to tell me. One said "if I were you I'd be pleased with my chances". I have no idea whether the agents can still see them. I suspect not, as the system most of them now use has been pretty dumbed down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.