Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Declining an upgrade on the E-175 plane

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I wonder if the OP knows e500s are a relic of the past.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by javabytes
The software was already designed and built for this "edge case", which until recently was not a 1% use case at all. With 500 mile certs, lower level elites had to decide whether to request an upgrade, and so too did PP/EP traveling with a companion... and knowing that if a companion upgrade was not requested, the elite might not want one either. The already-built checkboxes, defaulted to a pre-selected state, are a perfectly viable solution and even to this day would continue to deflect calls.
It existed because it was needed for a situation at the time. As all elites are eligible for complimentary domestic upgrades, it's no longer a regular use case. It's just another failure point for a bug or someone to make a mistake.

Given the Frankenstein nature of AA's IT, simple is best.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
I love the F seats on the A side of E75 but if I was given a choice between two MCE Y seats to myself or an F seat on the 2-seat side with an occupied seat next to it, I might opt to stay in Y too.
This is exactly the reason. On the 2 flights that I took in Jan, there were only 3 persons in MCE and the non-MCE seats were 90% occupied. I can also slide my roll abroad sideways under the seats in front of me. Since it is only a 50 minute flight, I just sleep. No need for refreshments.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
When you think you have heard it all on FT, there is always a new thread that begs to differ....
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by headinclouds
This is exactly the reason. On the 2 flights that I took in Jan, there were only 3 persons in MCE and the non-MCE seats were 90% occupied. I can also slide my roll abroad sideways under the seats in front of me. Since it is only a 50 minute flight, I just sleep. No need for refreshments.
I totally agree with you and think the same.
The loads though can be unpredictable and Jan/Feb are often the slowest months. And it is a risky strategy to be stuck with the worst outcome (seat in Y next to someone when you turned down a J upgrade which may have even been an "A" seat).

I would personally leave the upgrade as is. If you see the flight very empty you can always ask the GA to move you or tell the FA on board you'd like to take an empty Y row instead.

The couple of times I flew during covid I did this (when flights had like every elite upgraded so a full F cabin with a very empty Y) and never had an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.