Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Offered unaccompanied minor F seat; flight attendant suspicious

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass

As I sit on the tarmac for my BA flight to LHR, I began to reflect on the flight I just took (AA 2655 from PDX) and how abnormal it was.

Now, it was humorous enough that the FA gave three separate spiels about the credit card offer and handed them out physically during two separate trips down the aisle. Mainly because I had just remarked to myself, when viewing the recent thread on the matter, that I had been very lucky in not noticing any of this promotional work at all.

I was also in a good mood - checkin at PDX was a breeze and I finally remembered to bring my AAplause certs on a trip, so I was excited to reward good service today. I have one to the wonderful checkin agents, as well as the two F attendants. (Yes, even including the CC promoter.)

My issue involves the FA who was serving the rear. As I pre-boarded, I noticed a very young unaccompanied minor. Note that I only saw this one kid. After sitting, I told the first FA that I would happily give the UNM my seat and take his if he was flying solo. I know how hard it is to fly alone at that age and I figured it would make the staff’s job easier with regards to keeping an eye on him.

The FA in first thanked me and said she’d ask. Once we took off and the seatbelt light clicked off, on her next pass she mentioned she hadn’t heard back from the rear FA and she would later; I offered to ask myself if it would save time and she told me to go ahead.

I walked back and asked the FA and was taken aback by her response.

”Why would you want to do that? Do you know him? Why do you want to separate him from his group?”

I tried to explain I didn’t know there was a group, nor did I want to separate anyone. I also had zero desire to sit next to any children, nor did I even know there were any others. She looked at me with a visible look of disgust and I apologized for interrupting her service.

I chided myself for making the obvious mistake of sticking my nose where it didn’t belong - but I was glad the situation was behind me. Sadly, it wasn’t.

As I stepped off the plane, I noticed an AA staff member who waved to me. She asked if I was wutlol, which I replied in the affirmative. I told her I was in a rush and that we could walk and talk. I figured this might be a customer survey or a follow-up on a lost bag or something else. Instead, it was an interrogation on whether I felt it was appropriate to try and talk to children on planes and if I had approached this boy at PDX. I felt very much that I was on the verge of being accused of a crime or being a pervert or some kind.

The AA agent asked me if I could stick around for a moment (at this point I was at the escalator for the sky train). I told her no and suggested that unless something was urgent enough that I needed to delay my outbound to London that I would be hopping on the next sky train. As I headed up the steps, she promised someone would be “in touch” to discuss the concerns raised about my conduct.

I suppose my main concern is whether there is some proactive action I should be taking to “clear” my name? All I was trying to do was help someone out who might be having a stressful flight. I didn’t even talk to said child, let alone any other passengers on the flight. Needless to say I’m very confused regarding this FA’s response and worried that I will be somehow written up as a problem flyer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by wutlol; Feb 21, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by wutlol
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yeesh, sorry to hear that. I don't have experience with anything like this, but I might be inclined to send an email to AA customer relations, telling them more or less exactly what you've said above (perhaps minus the cracks about the credit card spiel, lol) and in the same tone of puzzlement, expressing concern as to how something that was meant as a kind gesture was seemingly interpreted so negatively. Under the circumstances, I think there may be a benefit to getting your version of the story documented with AA sooner rather than later -- e.g. while FA #1 still remembers you and could also be interviewed if needed.

It makes sense of course that airline staff are protective of UMs, and perhaps therefore inclined to be suspicious, but the FA's stated concern seems misplaced -- to the extent he was at risk of "being separated" from whatever group he was travelling with, it would not be to sit near you, quite the opposite.

I'll be curious to hear others' reactions and counsel as well. I can also imagine an argument that says just let it go.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Feb 21, 2023 at 6:39 pm
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Good lord, I have no advice to offer. Only condolences. Please report back if there are any lingering effects from this. It sounds like you tried to do something nice and it snowballed into something stressful
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Nothing constructive to add here, except to recall something having to do with roads, hell, and good intentions. Personally, I wouldn't have touched that with a ten-foot pole, as I not prone to being solicitous to people I don't know or care about.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
OP: you attempted to give up your F seat for the UM's seat in Y? Do I have that correct? And you made this attempt more than once?

Originally Posted by Pickles
Personally, I wouldn't have touched that with a ten-foot pole, as I not prone to being solicitous to people I don't know or care about.
Especially knowing that airlines often go out of their way to move male passengers away from UMs.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Look at it from the cabin crew’s perspective it does look a tad suspicious that not only did you talk to the first attendant twice about this but then went to speak to the second,
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Airplanes are public transportation.
Best to keep to yourself and not get involved.
Markie, SK, JAXPax and 16 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
OP: you attempted to give up your F seat for the UM's seat in Y? Do I have that correct? And you made this attempt more than once?

Especially knowing that airlines often go out of their way to move male passengers away from UMs.
A domestic first seat. You make this sound like I was giving up a Etihad Residence seat on a 10 hour flight.

Note that I was always very clear I saw only the one UM and this would put me nowhere closer to the UM. I was explicit that I had traveled at that age, knew how difficult it could be, and was only offering it if it would be helpful to the UM and or/the crew.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Look at it from the cabin crew’s perspective it does look a tad suspicious that not only did you talk to the first attendant twice about this but then went to speak to the second,
I asked the first FA once. She told me later on she hadn’t heard anything and was the one who recommended I check as she was busy with service. I was not raising a stink about this at any point and the total of the interactions lasted maybe 90 seconds.

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Airplanes are public transportation.
Best to keep to yourself and not get involved.
99.9% of the time this is my philosophy and clearly even that isn’t sufficient.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 22, 2023 at 9:56 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to deleted content
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Then complain about the offending FA and/or the (Passenger Service employee?) who flagged you down at the airport after the flight if you really want to push the issue. Personally, I'd let it drop. Chalk it up as a valuable learning experience. Raising the issue further within AA may bring more unwanted attention.

If you just ignore this for now and AA actually does something to you down the road (they won't), then deal with it (lawyers) at that time.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 22, 2023 at 9:57 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to deleted post
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not getting involved does seem to be the way to go. I can see why it would seem strange - a person in business class wanting to switch seats with an unknown young child in economy class.
Rather than assisting, you may have just been moving him away from the crew member responsible for him.
Also, I know that some airlines ( not sure about AA ) do have policies such as not sitting an unaccompanied minor next to a male adult and moving seats could impact that

if someone does raise it later, if you clarify what happened and there is nothing to suggest that you knew person who was in adjacent business class seat, I can't see that there is anything to worry about
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
Then complain about the offending FA and/or the (Passenger Service employee?) who flagged you down at the airport after the flight if you really want to push the issue. Personally, I'd let it drop. Chalk it up as a valuable learning experience. Raising the issue further within AA may bring more unwanted attention.

If you just ignore this for now and AA actually does something to you down the road (they won't), then deal with it (lawyers) at that time.
I didn’t lose any time talking to the AA employee. I have zero issue with the rear FA. No need to file a complaint.

I think (and hope) you’re right nothing will come of this. I simply wanted to make sure there was nothing I was missing.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not getting involved does seem to be the way to go. I can see why it would seem strange - a person in business class wanting to switch seats with an unknown young child in economy class.
Rather than assisting, you may have just been moving him away from the crew member responsible for him.
Also, I know that some airlines ( not sure about AA ) do have policies such as not sitting an unaccompanied minor next to a male adult and moving seats could impact that

if someone does raise it later, if you clarify what happened and there is nothing to suggest that you knew person who was in adjacent business class seat, I can't see that there is anything to worry about
Yep, lesson learned.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 22, 2023 at 9:58 am Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I hate to say this, but sometimes it is best to not get involved. However, I really doubt this will amount to anything. Most likely, the issue will juts be dropped. However, if you try to continue it, it might get logged onto your "permanent record". And like other said, don't worry about it. And if something does happen, get a lawyer then.

Given the sensitivity of the issue in the USA, and in my opinion, sensational media. Remember this: If you are a grown male, DO NOT involve yourself in anything that involves children you don't personally know.

You might be accused of being the unthinkable. And just like the Salem Witch Trials, just being accused can ruin your life.

Last edited by Xero; Feb 21, 2023 at 7:38 pm
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by Xero
I hate to say this, but sometimes it is best to not get involved. However, I really doubt this will amount to anything. Most likely, the issue will juts be dropped. However, if you try to continue it, it might get logged onto your "permanent record". And like other said, don't worry about it. And if something does happen, get a lawyer then.

Given the sensitivity of the issue in the USA, and in my opinion, sensational media. Remember this: If you are a grown male, DO NOT involve yourself in anything that involves children you don't personally know.

You might be accused of being the unthinkable. And just like the Salem Witch Trials, just being accused can ruin your life.
I can relate… didn’t happen to me, but to someone I care about dearly. All you have to do is accuse someone of child abuse (no matter how baseless), and the label lives with them forever.
LETTERBOY, donotblink and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
What a weird thing to have happen. The last time I tried to do a similar* good deed, I was at SDF waiting to fly to DCA and I noticed that there were zero names on the upgrade list with like 5 open seats. So I told the gate agent that I would be glad to sponsor someone's upgrade with my status if there was anyone they talked to who seemed like they'd want it. The gate agent's reaction (in facial expressions) was somewhere between "what ulterior motive do you have" and "but that would make me do additional work" -- so to end the awkward pause I said "well, that's okay, just thought I'd ask" and walked away. The 5 seats went out empty. (*Admittedly dissimilar from OPs in that no children were involved and I wasn't giving anything up of my own, but similar in that I was not well received for offering to do something nice!)
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP good intentions I’m sure of course but you need to choose, and choose wisely where you would like to project those good intentions. Asking multiple times about a child in coach to switch out with you in F in todays day and she looks just creepy anyway you look at it. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear but it’s reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.