Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why doesnt AA allow upgrades on award flights?

Why doesnt AA allow upgrades on award flights?

Old Feb 4, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by 777lover
What specifically is the IT issue? That would be news to AA
I don't understand this question.

The question was: cash upgrades are not being offered for aaward travel, why?

My edited answer: It is definitively because of EITER an IT issue or AA does not want to (or a combo of both).

Why I think it might be an IT issue? Because AA has a lot of IT issues and it would not surprise me this one is one more.
Example: not being able to request an SWU upgrade online/app with no human interaction.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS,UA,AA,Delta,SWA
Does UA,DL or AS offer this? I have tried without success on UA and AS. Tried on DL without success several years ago on AS award ticket on DL metal.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 4:38 pm

Hopefully o can clarify although i am going off of memory so take it all with a grain of salt

The award system could handle cash upgrades think taxes or carrier imposed charges that have to be paid IT could handle a a charge for an upgrade. The only small issue is that the RBC used would prob be J so there need a way to differentiate a web special from the upgrade and/or going from T to U.

it is, like u mentioned, a strategy decision. AA wants PAX to buy up with miles especially now that the difference between Y and F has become so great. Secondly, upgrading on an award ticket wa specifically targeted at EPs as they continue to try and differentiate EP from PP.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I don't understand this question.

The question was: cash upgrades are not being offered for aaward travel, why?

My edited answer: It is definitively because of EITER an IT issue or AA does not want to (or a combo of both).

Why I think it might be an IT issue? Because AA has a lot of IT issues and it would not surprise me this one is one more.
Example: not being able to request an SWU upgrade online/app with no human interaction.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Uzzar
The cash upgrade system is based upon how much you paid for the ticket. The system has no way of quantifying awards, so no cash upgrade can be offered.
That's not accurate. AA's purchased upgrades are priced based on a flat fee differential to F, which may or may not be discounted. They are not dependent on your ticket price.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by oposs54
Does UA,DL or AS offer this? I have tried without success on UA and AS. Tried on DL without success several years ago on AS award ticket on DL metal.
DL yes, at least for awards booked with SkyPesos (and possibly other SkyTeam programs assuming one is an elite/elite+ in that other program).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.