Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why doesn’t AA allow upgrades on award flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why doesn’t AA allow upgrades on award flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Compare to Delta, where award tickets are just as upgradable as cash tickets (with top-tier credit card without status being upgradable after all elites have been upgraded) and the award tickets themselves earn elite credit (though it should be noted that, as DL's primary tiebreaker for upgrade priority is fare class, awards are last in each tier absent applying a SWU-like instrument). It is another example where the value, such as there is, in SkyPesos is in short haul.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:25 am

If an EXP is traveling with a non-status aadvantage member on an award ticket can they still both be upgraded or does the non-status aadvantage member negate the perk for the EXP?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:54 am

WN has a new system — Amadeus. Deployed in the last few years. And they either already have bought or have the opportunity to buy various bolt-on features and services. I am guessing that since their melt down, they will looking at or moving up the implementation of the crew scheduling and tracking!

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I'm guessing it's a case of the system literally won't allow it. AA's IT is almost as ancient as WN's.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Magnum9
If an EXP is traveling with a non-status aadvantage member on an award ticket can they still both be upgraded or does the non-status aadvantage member negate the perk for the EXP?
They can both be upgraded.
Antarius and Magnum9 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:55 am

Yup
Just happened to me and a travel partner, I'm EXP, he's general member
Antarius and Magnum9 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I get upgraded on award tickets all the time… oh wait… that’s UA. ; )
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Its possible this is one reason, but having worked at a large corporation setting corporate policy, it rarely boils down to just one thing. I suspect that the other main reason is that AA would also rather you buy the seat outright than use miles. While using miles reduces their future liabilities, that reduction is still less than the revenue generated by a purchased ticket. So if you hold back the upgrade benefit, it incentives the purchase of a ticket rather than using miles from the people who generally have the most miles to use (elites).
Coming from the hospitality industry I totally agree with what you are saying but if you have a half full flight from phx to London in December, it makes no sense to not open up a few award seats to reduce some mileage count from your books.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
They can both be upgraded.
Would this be true for a 3 or 4 passenger reservation where the person making the reservation and booking the tickets is EXP? Or only for a 2 passenger booking?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rossodio
Would this be true for a 3 or 4 passenger reservation where the person making the reservation and booking the tickets is EXP? Or only for a 2 passenger booking?
the EXP would have ask AA to split the PNR so that EXP + 1 companion would be eligible.
if only 1 upgrade becomes available, the EXP would have to let AA know the EXP is willing to upgrade solo, otherwise would get skipped and a solo traveler with fewer LPs would get that upgrade.

Upgrades on award tix are the lowest priority, processed after all other upgrades like SWUs and comp upgrades to EXP on paid tix.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
the EXP would have ask AA to split the PNR so that EXP + 1 companion would be eligible.
if only 1 upgrade becomes available, the EXP would have to let AA know the EXP is willing to upgrade solo, otherwise would get skipped and a solo traveler with fewer LPs would get that upgrade.

Upgrades on award tix are the lowest priority, processed after all other upgrades like SWUs and comp upgrades to EXP on paid tix.
"Lowest priority"... does that mean lower than plat pro/plat/gold/cash upgrades? Does "beginning 100 hours prior" apply to award tix too?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
"Lowest priority"... does that mean lower than plat pro/plat/gold/cash upgrades? Does "beginning 100 hours prior" apply to award tix too?
Depends on the kind of cash upgrade… the newer kind you can buy in the app will jump any waitlists. The older style of day of departure LFBUs, if they’re even still a thing anymore, would clear after elites.

Same window applies.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Can someone explain why AA doesn’t offer cash upgrades on award flights? If they are willing to an offer an upgrade after booking a cash flight, why wouldn’t they offer the same for an award flight? Surely the money is good either way.
I’ve wondered the same thing. I would assume that AA likes getting cash revenues, but perhaps that would discourage people from booking first class award tickets and maybe AA wants to take those miles off its balance sheet asap. I would think that miles that haven’t been used are a liability.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
You could do it in the "old days." This is something they specifically removed and changed, along with about 100 features they have added and deleted (see the separate thread I started on approximately this subject.)

In the early days of the program (1980's and 1990's), you got a paper certificate for your flight (20,000 miles I think). That was good for "last seat availability" on any flight (i.e. - you could go to the airport and say "I want to go from LAX to JFK in 2 hours, here is my payment" and you got on. Also, the award counted as "full fare Y." You could pay the difference to upgrade to First (if any seat was available). I don't remember the cost for a day flight, but I do remember that the upgrade to First (not business), on a 747, was $25 to take the red-eye.
catawba and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
No, it means only within the EXP rank. Meaning any EXP on a paid ticket will be ahead of you. An EXP on an award ticket will be the last EXP to get upgraded, but still ahead of PPs on paid tickets.

Yes, T-100 upgrades apply to awards tickets as well.
LovePrunes and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:59 pm

What specifically is the IT issue? That would be news to AA

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Airlines that have the bid for an upgrade system do allow to bid for an upgrade on award tickets.
It is definitely an issue with the IT system or AA's strategies not that they can't price it.
Everything has a price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.