Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

B&O headphone retrieval / rant (merged threads)

Old May 11, 2022, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.

took a transcon redeye from lax to miami for the first time in a long time and I always thought bothering me to grab headphones (that I don't even use and take up too much space) but then I noticed today on the redeye that they turn the cabin lights just in business and maybe first on super early compared to coach just to bother u to grab the headphones.

all the other airlines figured out a way to do it and be happy.

​​​​/end rant

from ,

sleep deprived yet still loyal for no reason passenger
Old May 11, 2022, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, it's annoying. What I recommend is that if you're going to sleep, put your headphones back into the case and place them on your tray or somewhere easily accesible. That way, they just pick it up and move on. Doesn't solve the lights issue, but they shouldn't wake you.
skylady and argonath like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I took a Flagship J trip LAX-MIA last week, I don't think they even gave us headphones. I don't usually worry about it because I bring my own and I use them for noise cancelling, not to actually listen to any sound source.

I flew Saturday night May 7.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by Amil
took a transcon redeye from lax to miami for the first time in a long time and I always thought bothering me to grab headphones (that I don't even use and take up too much space) but then I noticed today on the redeye that they turn the cabin lights just in business and maybe first on super early compared to coach just to bother u to grab the headphones.

all the other airlines figured out a way to do it and be happy.

​​​​/end rant

from ,

sleep deprived yet still loyal for no reason passenger
Last few times on TK J class they collected them 30-45 before landing (everyone for most part was up finishing the second meal). Annoying one time though because person next to me in window couldn't find theirs and the F/A leaned over me forcibly going through all of her stuff looking for them.

At least TK generally hands out some fairly decent ear buds when collecting the headphones so you can continue to watch.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
See post #2

AA's J Product... is probably one of the best
Old May 12, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yeah, they treat those B&O headphones like they're diamonds. They'll toss the entire cabin to find a missing headset.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Not sure where I fall on this one. I always travel with my own headphones and entertainment via Ipad. When they give me the headphones, I promptly give them back to the FA. That way, I'm not bothered one way or another. So if the OP was not happy about being disturbed, why not just use your own property and circumnavigate around it?
Old May 13, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomj888
Not sure where I fall on this one. I always travel with my own headphones and entertainment via Ipad. When they give me the headphones, I promptly give them back to the FA. That way, I'm not bothered one way or another. So if the OP was not happy about being disturbed, why not just use your own property and circumnavigate around it?
That's a valid workaround, but the OP had a valid complaint. There is a way to collect them in a less intrusive manner.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by tomj888

i have done this many tomes but from my experience snot all FAs will take them or they will still disrupt you because the fa collecting might not be aware that you gave them to them. my complaint was the turning on of the lights on a red eye before other cabins
Old May 15, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
I remember having my personal headphones taken by the cabin crew when I was asleep back when AA used Bose.
Old May 15, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
AA is like most other airlines and provides a sleep mask to avoid this issue.
Old May 15, 2022, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armus
AA is like most other airlines and provides a sleep mask to avoid this issue.
Earplugs too, but these are mitigation methods.

Why can't AA quietly come through the cabin and use a portable light? Or have a method such that they can't be removed? Or RFID tag them. Other airlines give nice headphones too. CX didn't wake me up and take the Bose headphones away an hour before landing.
Old May 15, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
I realize that others will disagree but for me this is a big deal. Yes, I use my own headphones. Yes, I always give the AA ones back preflight (not sure if this is still the case, but pre-Covid they were not even cleaned on European turns). Still I am frequently treated like a criminal. AA just assumes that I want to steal (or have stolen) their precious headphones.

It is insulting.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Angry B&O headphone retrieval

Just getting ready to push for 81. Flight attendant announces for those very nice headphones in the business cabin we will be collecting them 1 hour before landing. We have to collect them. We have to count them.

Absurd. How long do the latter two take? 10 minutes?
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Just getting ready to push for 81. Flight attendant announces for those very nice headphones in the business cabin we will be collecting them 1 hour before landing. We have to collect them. We have to count them.

Absurd. How long do the latter two take? 10 minutes?
It can take the full hour. On my recent OGG/DFW flight the FAs came up one short. We were close to landing at DFW before a pax "remembered" she had "mistakenly" placed the headphones in her carryon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.