Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

An interesting flight change that I can't decide whether I am happy or upset about...

An interesting flight change that I can't decide whether I am happy or upset about...

Old Jan 22, 23, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP)

Flying CLT -> NAP and back in May. Going through DFW to LHR on the way there on Flagship First in 77W. On the way back, on original booking was going NAP->LHR->MIA->CLT with a fairly tight connection, albeit one AA allowed, in LHR, and another Flagship First 77W flight to MIA. Redeemed miles to book back in ~11/2022.

I am checking my app weekly to see if any flight changes have been made for a variety of reasons, not least of which is securing accommodations, transport to/from airports, etc.

Looked today to see that my return trip had been changed. the LHR->MIA flight got changed to half an hour or so earlier in the day. This led to making a connection in LHR that was too tight for AA to recognize (couldn't transfer bags in that short of a layover, apparently), losing my seat in FF on the LHR->MIA flight. I am taking the earliest possible flight in the day out of NAP (9:15 AM) so no option to get to LHR earlier. I got bumped to a direct flight from LHR to CLT leaving at 4:55PM, skipping a stop in MIA. Layover in LHR went from about 1h45 to around 4h10.

I called the EXP customer service line to see what my options were. There were zero later flights leaving from LHR to MIA, DFW, or JFK that would allow me to connect back into a 3-service class/Flagship First flight to the US.

So, pros and cons of the change here, comments on each, and some questions I have...

Pros:
- Direct flight to CLT instead of stopping in MIA.
- Later flight from LHR - allows me to change the flight out of NAP from a BA flight leaving at 9:15 to one leaving at 12:55. Would still have over 2h in LHR prior to the next flight with this move. Not having to leave my hotel in Naples at 6 AM but instead at after 9 is kind of nice considering this is a leisure trip.
- Arrive in CLT at around 8:30 PM which allows me (barring jetlag issues) to drive home around 2 hours from CLT same day which I do not think would have been possible with my original arrival at around 11:40 PM.

Cons:
- Won't be F but instead will be J coming back home. No opportunity for FF dining or the FF cabin.
- I booked with award miles for FF both outbound and inbound; no longer get FF or its benefits on the trip. On a call with the EXP customer service rep, interestingly enough, the flight they moved me to with J class service and one less stop would now cost more miles than the trip I booked previously, as would other J flights throughout the day. This speaks to the devaluation of loyalty points/miles that people have been mentioning in here as of late. Compared with a 11/2022 flagship first trip, a 1/2023 business trip costs more loyalty points. Booking this same trip back in November would have cost me tens of thousands of loyalty points less than it apparently does now. So no hope of getting those points back in exchange for bumping me down a cabin class from what I can gather.

A question I have... In LHR on the way to NAP, my traveling partner and I have access to the first class lounges in addition to business class in LHR T3 since we are in Flaghsip First seats on the way. I am EXP status and therefore OneWorld Emerald. On the way back, given my status and the fact that I am going on an intercontinental flight that day, I should again have access to the first class lounges. Will I be able to bring my travel partner with me who does not have status as a guest? Or just business class lounges? Same question in NAP, since I will be arriving there 3h before departure.

An additional question... being moved to the 777-200 widebody from the 77W I was on. Outside of the middle seats in row 1, the J cabin is pretty much open. I'm guessing since I'm flying with someone else that we should take middle two seats, but any preference of row? I was thinking 3 since it is in the middle of the cabin, not too close to restroom or galley, but since there is a row 1-6 and a row 7-10 section which are separated, I was wondering if the more rear section might be preferable for any reason. Anyone who has been on these planes, your opinion would be appreciated. Map from seatguru link is here .

Anything else I should be thinking about here?

Last edited by Rossodio; Jan 22, 23 at 11:58 pm Reason: Added question about seat preference
Old Jan 23, 23, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There is a NAP-LHR-DFW-CLT routing that would have F and still get you back the same day, albeit a 12:15am arrival that night. That's why you always do your homework before calling and never rely solely on an agent to tell you what options are available.

That said getting switched to the one-stop routing sounds pretty good in my book. As we've discussed AA F is not great, FFD is nice and all but I would never add 4-6 hours of travel time and backtracking to DFW or MIA to get it on a return from Europe.

If you stick with the business one-stop routing you should be able to contact AA after the fact and get some kind of downgade miles difference thrown your way. The fact that business is now more expensive is irrelevant.

And as an EXP on a qualifying itinerary you can always take one guest into any of the oneworld lounges that you'll encounter along the way, both F and J.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 23, 6:46 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Your partner can join you in the lounge.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; United PP, Delta, IHG PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
I'd keep the new routing with fewer stops AND the longer layover in LHR. Rather than worrying about someting going wrong or a tighter connection in LHR, as an EXP you have nice first class lounge access which will more than make up for losing first class on either AA or BA. Go to the Cathay first lounge, enjoy a meal and relax for that longer layover. A nicer way to have a last 'vacation" meal together than on the plane where you both likely have earphones on and are watching a movie while you eat.

You wont really relax that morning in NAP before your transport to the airport but with the longer layover and fewer flights you will be relaxed going home.
Daze likes this.
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:18 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
The food in T3 CXs dining room beats FFD for me a lot of the time. Even if you prefer FFD, theres a lot of good food to enjoy between QF and CX, let alone BA and AA.

FF is nice but not so nice that Id go out of my way for it.
IggySD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
There is a NAP-LHR-DFW-CLT routing that would have F and still get you back the same day, albeit a 12:15am arrival that night. That's why you always do your homework before calling and never rely solely on an agent to tell you what options are available.

That said getting switched to the one-stop routing sounds pretty good in my book. As we've discussed AA F is not great, FFD is nice and all but I would never add 4-6 hours of travel time and backtracking to DFW or MIA to get it on a return from Europe.

If you stick with the business one-stop routing you should be able to contact AA after the fact and get some kind of downgade miles difference thrown your way. The fact that business is now more expensive is irrelevant.

And as an EXP on a qualifying itinerary you can always take one guest into any of the oneworld lounges that you'll encounter along the way, both F and J.
I looked around (using AA's booking tool) strictly for flights from LHR to CLT on that date and only found two possibilities for flights with F class service that get me to CLT. They both use AA flights "operated by BA" per the website, and both go to JFK first:
Flight 6928 departing at 2:35 PM
Flight 6994 departing at 1:10 PM

Both end up connecting in JFK to a flight that arrives in CLT at 9:19 PM.

Because they are "operated by BA" would this affect my ability to take the flights without having to pay more points, the level of service on the aircraft, or any other practicalities? Would this make it any more difficult for the agent to pull up and get booked?

I looked everywhere using that tool that I know how to and was unable to find the routing that goes through DFW that you found. Are you using a different search tool for the flights?

In the end from what I am looking at, I will probably stick with the direct flight from LHR to CLT but for the purpose of future trips I take and booking them I am just wondering how you found the NAP->LHR->DFW->CLT trip.

Also, if I do stick with what they moved me to, any tips on extracting miles from the downgrade to business class when I call the EXP line after the trip is over? Would think I would just say that I got involuntarily downgraded to J due to flight time change and would expect to have miles put back into my account for the downgrade since I "paid" to book F to begin with, but I have not dealt with this before.
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Rossodio View Post
Also, if I do stick with what they moved me to, any tips on extracting miles from the downgrade to business class when I call the EXP line after the trip is over? Would think I would just say that I got involuntarily downgraded to J due to flight time change and would expect to have miles put back into my account for the downgrade since I "paid" to book F to begin with, but I have not dealt with this before.

EC261/UK261 requires 75% of the fare for a downgrade and it does apply to mileage awards. Just put in a claim for EC261 compensation for the downgrade after you've flown.
JJeffrey, IggySD and njvandy like this.
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:51 am

Because they are "operated by BA" would this affect my ability to take the flights without having to pay more points, the level of service on the aircraft, or any other practicalities? Would this make it any more difficult for the agent to pull up

I looked everywhere using that tool that I know how to and was unable to find the routing that goes through DFW that you found. Are you using a different search tool for the flights?

In the end from what I am looking at, I will probably stick with the direct flight from LHR to CLT but for the purpose of future trips I take and booking them I am just wondering how you found the NAP->LHR->DFW->CLT trip.

Yea, AA can't force parters to open up award space so asking for any options on BA will make things exponentially harder, I wouldn't go that route.

I always use Google Flights for any search like this. Searching just "NAP-CLT" it doesn't show up, but searching NAP-DFW + DFW-CLT it does (assuming it's available on your specific date).

Do you remember what the mileage price difference was between F and J when you booked? I would call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880, not the usual EXP line), tell them you were downgraded on the PNR, and ask for the original mileage difference. They may not agree to all of it but it will at least get the conversation started. You could also message customer relations at aa.com or try via Twitter, but they would be my 2nd and 3rd option if AAdvantage CS doesn't get anywhere.
Old Jan 23, 23, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
EC261/UK261 requires 75% of the fare for a downgrade and it does apply to mileage awards. Just put in a claim for EC261 compensation for the downgrade after you've flown.
Does this apply if I am an American citizen? Help with how to put a claim in for this with AA would be appreciated (i.e. a link; newbie question, my apologies).

EDIT: Looks like it does apply to me as an American, even flying on an American carrier, as this flight originates in LHR. I take it that the content in this article regarding EC261 is relable: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/guide...-compensation/

Last edited by Rossodio; Jan 23, 23 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 23, 23, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PPro, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wutlol View Post
The food in T3 CXs dining room beats FFD for me a lot of the time. Even if you prefer FFD, theres a lot of good food to enjoy between QF and CX, let alone BA and AA.

I agree, if the OP was willing to consider changing plans again just to try FFD, Id keep the 4 hr layover and hop the T3 lounges.

Get your fill there then enjoy your direct flight.

As for seating, I would recommend the forward cabin as during boarding the whole plane streams passed the rear cabin. Look at the layouts on aerolopa.com, forget seatguru. Familiarize yourself with the two seat layouts on the 777-200 because you could get either. I have become a two consecutive window seat person, as the middle seats just arent that close together anyway, at least you can control some light on a daytime flight.
Old Jan 23, 23, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Yea, AA can't force parters to open up award space so asking for any options on BA will make things exponentially harder, I wouldn't go that route.

I always use Google Flights for any search like this. Searching just "NAP-CLT" it doesn't show up, but searching NAP-DFW + DFW-CLT it does (assuming it's available on your specific date).

Do you remember what the mileage price difference was between F and J when you booked? I would call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880, not the usual EXP line), tell them you were downgraded on the PNR, and ask for the original mileage difference. They may not agree to all of it but it will at least get the conversation started. You could also message customer relations at aa.com or try via Twitter, but they would be my 2nd and 3rd option if AAdvantage CS doesn't get anywhere.
Do you suggest doing the EC claim per above first? Or doing this first, or doing both?
Old Jan 23, 23, 9:04 am

Do you suggest doing the EC claim per above first? Or doing this first, or doing both?
Oh definitely do the EC claim first and foremost. If you are successful with that then I wouldn't bother trying to get any other mileage reimbursement from AA.

Below is the master thread here on the EU compensation. I would suggest posting a short version of your details in the below thread and let a few of the others who are well versed in EU261 provide advice.

GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 EU complaints, compensation and AA
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 23, 9:41 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by wutlol View Post

Not to mention the salt and pepper squid in the QF lounge, far better than anything Ive had at MIA FFD.
Old Jan 23, 23, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, AC 75K. Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
Does this apply if I am an American citizen? /
Nothing to do with citizenship or residency - that said, since the change is in May, it shouldn't apply since there is too much notice.
Old Jan 23, 23, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_geek View Post
Nothing to do with citizenship or residency - that said, since the change is in May, it shouldn't apply since there is too much notice.
Is there a hard limit on how far in advance to where they would not compensate?

If you are fairly certain that they would not, I would skip straight to contacting AA per above. Just don't want to waste time with unnecessary or fruitless steps here.

Search this Thread