Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

An interesting flight change that I can't decide whether I am happy or upset about...

An interesting flight change that I can't decide whether I am happy or upset about...

Old Jan 23, 23, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, AC 75K. Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
I think it is 14 days. Before that they don't have to do much other than give you money back.
Old Jan 23, 23, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Yea, AA can't force parters to open up award space so asking for any options on BA will make things exponentially harder, I wouldn't go that route.
Even if there was award availability, they'd also tack on a hefty surcharge for the BA TATL leg since that would be a "voluntary" change, so definitely best to stick to AA metal.

If you stick with the business one-stop routing you should be able to contact AA after the fact and get some kind of downgade miles difference thrown your way. The fact that business is now more expensive is irrelevant.
Not to AA, they'll definitely use that fact to try and weasel out of reimbursing ANY miles for the downgrade.
Old Jan 23, 23, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP)
Originally Posted by HiAperture View Post
I agree, if the OP was willing to consider changing plans again just to try FFD, Id keep the 4 hr layover and hop the T3 lounges.

Get your fill there then enjoy your direct flight.

As for seating, I would recommend the forward cabin as during boarding the whole plane streams passed the rear cabin. Look at the layouts on aerolopa.com, forget seatguru. Familiarize yourself with the two seat layouts on the 777-200 because you could get either. I have become a two consecutive window seat person, as the middle seats just arent that close together anyway, at least you can control some light on a daytime flight.
Ah - so I looked at both of the 777-200 layouts; it is difficult to appreciate that the two middle seats don't allow for you to easily converse with the person next to you. Difficult to travel as a pair on those flights except for meals, unless I am not seeing it correctly. Sounds like you share this sentiment?
Old Jan 23, 23, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Yea, AA can't force parters to open up award space so asking for any options on BA will make things exponentially harder, I wouldn't go that route.

I always use Google Flights for any search like this. Searching just "NAP-CLT" it doesn't show up, but searching NAP-DFW + DFW-CLT it does (assuming it's available on your specific date).

Do you remember what the mileage price difference was between F and J when you booked? I would call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880, not the usual EXP line), tell them you were downgraded on the PNR, and ask for the original mileage difference. They may not agree to all of it but it will at least get the conversation started. You could also message customer relations at aa.com or try via Twitter, but they would be my 2nd and 3rd option if AAdvantage CS doesn't get anywhere.
Checked Google Flights just for craps and giggles and there is not a flight departing late enough that day to put me in F. I suppose I will be on the 777-200 widebody that day in J from LHR to CLT. I have seen conflicting information on whether service on that flight would be regular international business class or Flagship business blass. Any idea the best way for me to tell?

I plan to contact the AA EXP line this evening to get things confirmed here and bump my NAP->LHR flight to the later option (BA 6994). Will still have 3h in LHR to enjoy prior to departure.
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold

I always use Google Flights for any search like this. Searching just "NAP-CLT" it doesn't show up, but searching NAP-DFW + DFW-CLT it does (assuming it's available on your specific date).

Do you remember what the mileage price difference was between F and J when you booked? I would call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880, not the usual EXP line), tell them you were downgraded on the PNR, and ask for the original mileage difference. They may not agree to all of it but it will at least get the conversation started. You could also message customer relations at aa.com or try via Twitter, but they would be my 2nd and 3rd option if AAdvantage CS doesn't get anywhere.
AA can't force BA to open up award space... but they usually will oblige in situations like this. I've done it multiple times.

Personally I would have asked for NAP-LHR-JFK-CLT with LHR-JFK in BA F. Then you'd get a chance to have a brief visit to the CCR in LHR for some champagne/cocktails and a snack, get the far superior BA F service (vs. AA) and have a brief visit to the Chelsea lounge in JFK before your CLT flight with enough time for a meal and a drink or two.
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Rossodio View Post
Cons:
- Won't be F but instead will be J coming back home. No opportunity for FF dining or the FF cabin.
- I booked with award miles for FF both outbound and inbound; no longer get FF or its benefits on the trip. On a call with the EXP customer service rep, interestingly enough, the flight they moved me to with J class service and one less stop would now cost more miles than the trip I booked previously, as would other J flights throughout the day. This speaks to the devaluation of loyalty points/miles that people have been mentioning in here as of late. Compared with a 11/2022 flagship first trip, a 1/2023 business trip costs more loyalty points. Booking this same trip back in November would have cost me tens of thousands of loyalty points less than it apparently does now. So no hope of getting those points back in exchange for bumping me down a cabin class from what I can gather.
hey sounds like a fun trip. Just a quick clarification...Nothing "costs loyalty points" as you put. LPs are just earned for elite status and some perks along the way, some new ones added in 23 for the kettles to get "seat upgrades", "rental car bonuses/benefits" who have no shot at earning EXP, etc.
the switch from EQMs/EQDs can be confusing, so I just thought I'd throw out the clarification. AA hasn't "devalued loyalty points" or anything. They've made them easier to earn for many of us, but they are completely different from miles you use to redeem for trips like the great one you're booked on. Remains to be seen if in March there is a mileage (RDM) devaluation with the future "simply mileage redemption chart" they say is coming then.

Cheers
Old Jan 23, 23, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
AA can't force BA to open up award space... but they usually will oblige in situations like this. I've done it multiple times.

Personally I would have asked for NAP-LHR-JFK-CLT with LHR-JFK in BA F. Then you'd get a chance to have a brief visit to the CCR in LHR for some champagne/cocktails and a snack, get the far superior BA F service (vs. AA) and have a brief visit to the Chelsea lounge in JFK before your CLT flight with enough time for a meal and a drink or two.
Well, I still have not called the EXP service desk to change the flights yet. If you have done this multiple times I'd certainly give it a try. If using a BA flight that day (may 9) it certainly might open up the schedule to do this and still get back to CLT in good time. I can try for the first time negotiating with the EXP rep to give me F service via BA due to them dropping my service class here and see how it goes. I'm not sure how to angle it with them but will try!
Old Jan 23, 23, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Well, I still have not called the EXP service desk to change the flights yet. If you have done this multiple times I'd certainly give it a try. If using a BA flight that day (may 9) it certainly might open up the schedule to do this and still get back to CLT in good time. I can try for the first time negotiating with the EXP rep to give me F service via BA due to them dropping my service class here and see how it goes. I'm not sure how to angle it with them but will try!
Feed them the AA flight numbers. All of the LHR-JFK flights will have an AA codeshare. If they say there's no award availability then ask them to contact the oneworld liaison desk to get them to ask BA to facilitate the rebooking since it's the only available option in F.
Old Jan 24, 23, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
I could be wrong, but I think the 14 day limit is for cancelled flights not for downgrades - OP can still claim here. However, downgrades are dealt with after the fact so there's no point asking just yet.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Feed them the AA flight numbers. All of the LHR-JFK flights will have an AA codeshare. If they say there's no award availability then ask them to contact the oneworld liaison desk to get them to ask BA to facilitate the rebooking since it's the only available option in F.
I just spoke with the AA exec plat desk. I made this change from my AA J seat on the 777-200 to the BA F seats on their 77W (row 2, middle 2 seats, ideal) with absolutely zero issue. Now flying NAP->LHR->JFK all on BA, with LHR->JFK in F (can't wait to see the difference in service between intercontinental AA and BA on 77W; outbound from DFW on AA and inbound to JFK on BA), 3 hour layover in JFK to enjoy the new lounge and maybe FF dining, and then nonstop to CLT from JFK. Arriving in CLT a couple hours earlier than I would have been going through MIA, and may actually be able to drive home when I arrive.

Not sure if I will have time to enjoy the Concorde lounge as layover at LHR is only 2h10m and I will have to go from T3 to T5, but if I can, I will.

Having the codeshare flight numbers was key in making this change easily. It was never questioned after I mentioned that I got bumped down to J on what was originally an F ticket.

I also got connected to by far the most helpful, efficient, concise, and friendly AA customer service rep I have ever encountered on the phone for the change (unlike the one two nights ago). Very easy, and at the end of the call he said "and you never know - this far out from your trip, there may be a small change in time here or there that allows you to have other 'opportunities' - just call us if this happens and you want to make changes." He knew what was up. I left a glowing review.

Win, win, win, on all counts. Was not expecting Krug during this trip!
JJeffrey, wrp96 and etiene like this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:32 pm

I just spoke with the AA exec plat desk. I made this change from my AA J seat on the 777-200 to the BA F seats on their 77W (row 2, middle 2 seats, ideal) with absolutely zero issue. Now flying NAP->LHR->JFK all on BA, with LHR->JFK in F (can't wait to see the difference in service between intercontinental AA and BA on 77W; outbound from DFW on AA and inbound to JFK on BA), 3 hour layover in JFK to enjoy the new lounge and maybe FF dining, and then nonstop to CLT from JFK. Arriving in CLT a couple hours earlier than I would have been going through MIA, and may actually be able to drive home when I arrive.

Not sure if I will have time to enjoy the Concorde lounge as layover at LHR is only 2h10m and I will have to go from T3 to T5, but if I can, I will.

Having the codeshare flight numbers was key in making this change easily. It was never questioned after I mentioned that I got bumped down to J on what was originally an F ticket.

I also got connected to by far the most helpful, efficient, concise, and friendly AA customer service rep I have ever encountered on the phone for the change (unlike the one two nights ago). Very easy, and at the end of the call he said "and you never know - this far out from your trip, there may be a small change in time here or there that allows you to have other 'opportunities' - just call us if this happens and you want to make changes." He knew what was up. I left a glowing review.

Win, win, win, on all counts. Was not expecting Krug during this trip!
Glad it worked out for you.

Unfortunately you're unlikely to get any Krug on this trip... at DFW FFD they've been serving LPGS. Same thing in CCR and on BA LHR JFK. Chelsea lounge is all over the place... I wouldn't be surprised if they're serving Mionetto next time I'm there.

Personally I would still be pretty happy with the LPGS.
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Glad it worked out for you.

Unfortunately you're unlikely to get any Krug on this trip... at DFW FFD they've been serving LPGS. Same thing in CCR and on BA LHR JFK. Chelsea lounge is all over the place... I wouldn't be surprised if they're serving Mionetto next time I'm there.

Personally I would still be pretty happy with the LPGS.
Ah. I was referring to Krug on the BA F flight. I havent heavily perused the BA forum but my understanding is in the F cabin for international fliguts BA does serve Krug...?

Lol on the Mionetto comment. LPSG is damn good juice, regardless, I think I will be happy.
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:46 pm

Ah. I was referring to Krug on the BA F flight. I havent heavily perused the BA forum but my understanding is in the F cabin for international fliguts BA does serve Krug...?

Lol on the Mionetto comment. LPSG is damn good juice, regardless, I think I will be happy.
No, BA serve Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle in flight and on the ground in the Concorde Room in LHR.

Krug was served in FFD in JFK/DFW/MIA but they switched to LPGS.

LPGS is still an excellent alternative to Krug!
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

No, BA serve Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle in flight and on the ground in the Concorde Room in LHR.

Krug was served in FFD in JFK/DFW/MIA but they switched to LPGS.

LPGS is still an excellent alternative to Krug!
And LPGS is sure better than what they serve in the air on AA FF from what I can see! Like I said, I am quite happy with the results of this "mishap" so far. Shall see if this persists until I actually get to takeoff time.

...I wish they would take a page from JAL's book and have 15 year old vintage Salon on board. Ha!
Old Jan 25, 23, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the 14 day limit is for cancelled flights not for downgrades - OP can still claim here. However, downgrades are dealt with after the fact so there's no point asking just yet.
Correct. The 14 day limit is for cancelled flights. Downgrades still qualify for the 75% of the fare, but it's claimed after the fact.

But it sounds like the OP got a much better deal out of this anyways so good for him.
etiene likes this.

Search this Thread