Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA: " Rule is your food must be on floor not in overhead bin. Move it."

FA: " Rule is your food must be on floor not in overhead bin. Move it."

Old Jan 24, 23, 11:06 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler View Post
You’ve repeatedly cast doubt on what the OP has stated. Yes, you haven’t specifically used the word “lied”, but you’ve repeatedly cast aspersions about the OP’s truthfulness. There is no justification for doing that.
I don't think we want to get into defining what a liar or a lie is.
I don't think anybody is casting doubt on what the OP has stated.

Let's keep it simple.
It is a fact that there are lot of details missing in the story. For example what the food was that the OP has obviously avoided to say.
There is also no information of the full context of the situation, what the FA did before or after the OP's interaction.
In context with all details, the story may come across VERY differently than the OP's narrative.

Does omitting details make the OP a liar? Who cares? The fact is that there are details missing.'
There are always two sides to a story. That does not make either side a liar. It just two different perspectives of what happened.

Last edited by carlosdca; Jan 24, 23 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:39 am
HGH

I think the flight attendant was about to force more luggage into the space and didn't want to be blamed if the food was squished. A canvas bag - to me that sounds soft sided. Lots of food items in a bag feel funny from the outside. For example, a pre-made sandwich in one of those flimsy triangle cartons would feel different if she was grabbing the bag to make more room. As to why she said the bit about it had to be below the seat - no good guesses except maybe that line was used to expedite the whole process versus having to discuss with someone.
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
On a case like this, it's best to not argue and deal with it later. However, the "must follow crew member instructions" isn't a blanket statement allowing them impunity. There are rules within which you must follow them.

If a crew member asks me to change my shirt because they don't like the color blue, I'm under zero obligation to adhere to what they say.
They could ask you to change the shirt if there was foul language printed on the shirt, or if the shirt was immodest or a safety concern.

Doesn't matter. You have to follow crew member instructions. Take it up, later, with the airline or DOT.
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post
They could ask you to change the shirt if there was foul language printed on the shirt, or if the shirt was immodest or a safety concern.

Doesn't matter. You have to follow crew member instructions. Take it up, later, with the airline or DOT.
I rarely disagree with your views, but I do here. (Although I admit I had the same thoughts about an offense shirt.) And I admit it reaches to the level of absurd, BUT.... If a deeply disturbed FA asked you to assult your seatmate "Punch him" - for no apparent reason - would you comply? A level of common sense must be applied to directives from FA, although in most reasonable (that is, almost all) situations I would agree it's better to comply and sort later.
beltway and Antarius like this.

Last edited by Madison Guy; Jan 24, 23 at 6:26 pm Reason: Further clarify thought
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:54 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The assumption is that FAs know the rules better than you and there is a reasoning for the request, they are not irrational.
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
"Passengers must follow all crew member instructions". One has a choice when silliness occurs: get thrown off the plane and possibly arrested/banned from the airline OR follow the instructions and write a letter to customer service after the flight.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EP
I was on a flight from AUS to PDX and stopped to get ribs to take home to my boys. The entire plane smelled like a smokey bbq joint and people were coming up an offering me $100 for the ribs. They were in the overhead bin and made it safely to their bellys.
corky, roadtriper, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
The assumption is that FAs know the rules better than you and there is a reasoning for the request, they are not irrational.
If the FAs youve met have all been rational, either a) you have not met many FAs or b) youre quite lucky.

Yes, most FAs are reasonable, rational people. All of them? LOL no.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post

Right, but those are requests in line with published rules. If an FA said they don't like blue or they hate bowties because their ex wore them, there's no rule behind that and "must follow crew member instructions" doesn't encompass these situations.

Generally speaking, it's best to listen. But if an FA came up and demanded to see the contents of my laptop or something like that, not a ....ing chance in hell that I'm going to comply.

Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post
I rarely disagree with your views, but I do here. (Although I admit I had the same thoughts about an offense shirt.) And I admit it reaches to the level of absurd, BUT.... If a deeply disturbed FA asked you to assult your seatmate "Punch him" - for no apparent reason - would you comply? A level of common sense must be applied to directives from FA, although in most reasonable (that is, almost all) situations I would agree it's better to comply and sort later.
Agree completely. Obscene language is not permitted by AA. An FA asking you to change is well within their rights to do so as an authorized representative of the airline in charge of enforcing policy. However, your other example is a good one. While unlikely to ever happen, it does clearly illustrate the bounds that the phrase "must follow all crew member instructions" has.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Jan 25, 23 at 2:23 pm
Old Jan 25, 23, 10:47 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Platinum. United Silver. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Back in the old days, more than once I put an entire box with a NYC pizza in the overhead bin. I put the box in a garbage bag....no problem whether flying coach or first. One time my whole pie was a lifesaver as a blizzard caused me to spend the weekend in the Admirals club at JFK and the airport ran out of food everywhere. The bartender let me store (and eat as needed) my pizza in the bar fridge. Another time, I bought some Stilton at LHR and put it in a plastic bag with some ice and stored it in the overhead (coach). Well of course the ice started to melt halfway through the flight and water was dripping from the overhead plus Stilton is a pretty fragrant cheese. We all laughed and the FAs came to my rescue (remember I said this was the old days) and stored it for me in the galley. Now I always pack slices of pizza rather than a whole pie after NY visits. I pack foil and zip bags and put them in my suitcase which goes in the overhead. I have also packed burritos in my suitcase in the overhead. TSA was interested in the burritos but let them slide.
Had a TSA agent seem overly interested in my Subway subs one time. Maybe they are hungry
jhalapin likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:14 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by tfizzle View Post
I was on a flight from AUS to PDX and stopped to get ribs to take home to my boys. The entire plane smelled like a smokey bbq joint and people were coming up an offering me $100 for the ribs. They were in the overhead bin and made it safely to their bellys.
That's completely different I believe, you were out hunting trying to feed your kids, and you had to transport the prey back to the nest. FAs are aware of this and it is allowed in the overhead compartment.
njvandy, wrp96, ZenFlyer and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
That's completely different I believe, you were out hunting trying to feed your kids, and you had to transport the prey back to the nest. FAs are aware of this and it is allowed in the overhead compartment.
"Next, on BBC Earth..."
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
When we're in the first row we love seeing what people are bringing on - whole pizzas, huge boxes of donuts. Usually the FA's at the door have a funny comment about everything.
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Right, but those are requests in line with published rules. If an FA said they don't like blue or they hate bowties because their ex wore them, there's no rule behind that and "must follow crew member instructions" doesn't encompass these situations.

Generally speaking, it's best to listen. But if an FA came up and demanded to see the contents of my laptop or something like that, not a ....ing chance in hell that I'm going to comply.
has.
I agree with the spirit of this, but the requirements to comply with the flight crew is pretty broad, and if they wanted to pursue it, they could get someone for refusal to comply or interfering with a flight crew, potentially putting someone on a no-fly list. That said, if someone is a whale of a customer, this might be less likely to happen.

I see this as something similar to what we were told when I was in a union for a few years. Union leadership told us that if management told us to do something that violated our CBA, unless it was illegal or a health/safety hazard, comply with the order but follow it up with a grievance after the fact. If it were illegal or hazardous, we could (and should) refuse to follow orders. This sort of feels the same to me.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If a FA were to request someone totally out of line ("Punch your seatmate" or "Let me see you laptop contents"), I would ask another FA to confirm the request or ask the Captain. This is, in my opinion, ridiculous speculation. An FA who wanted to stay employed wouldn't make such requests.

Getting back to the OP.

The OP was asked to remove "food" from the overhead bin and put it under the seat. Is that a reasonable request? Who knows.

The OP came here for some kind of back up. However, most of us reasonable folks wanted more details such as the type of food and how it was packed. The OP left, and we are debating what kind of reasonable FA requests we would follow or question.

A reasonable person would say that "food" such as granola bars would be OK in an overhead bin. A reasonable person would say that "food" such as airport fast-food in a flimsy paper bag that can leak, stink and make a mess during turbulence would not be OK in an overhead bin.

Search this Thread