Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Status Changed Overnight - Tickets at Airport donít Reflect

Status Changed Overnight - Tickets at Airport donít Reflect

Old Jan 22, 23, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Sweet. Glad you got it sorted.

Unfortunately, it is a manual process. AA's IT system is from the 1960s and held together by chewing gum, prayers and carrier pigeons (if you're lucky you may get a punch card ). The upside to this is if you lose status, any tickets booked before will retain your status unless changed or touched.
I toured their res facility in Dallas last week and was able to snap a quick pic of their staff working on the OP's request.

la2clt, cedric, makfan and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 23, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I toured their res facility in Dallas last week and was able to snap a quick pic of their staff working on the OP's request.

While I know that the photo is meant in jest, I will say a local bank near me does still use typewriters for their work.
Old Jan 22, 23, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
While I know that the photo is meant in jest, I will say a local bank near me does still use typewriters for their work.
I would politely say it's time to search for a new bank.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 23, 11:35 am

Programs: AA PPro, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
I'm about to hit EXP and have like 6 tickets booked for the future. Does this mean that I need to have an agent fix each one? That's irritating.
Old Jan 22, 23, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer View Post
I'm about to hit EXP and have like 6 tickets booked for the future. Does this mean that I need to have an agent fix each one? That's irritating.
My experience was that you will show as EXP on tickets and get the right LP multiplier. However, it seems your priority in the upgrade queue will still show as Pro. What I donít know is how they calculate the spend priority. Iím guessing they just put you on the list with your status and then as it gets close to the flight they look at spend. Itís possible the systems may also notice youíre a different status. It was trivial for the admirals club staff to do. Otherwise, DM AA on Twitter.
Old Jan 22, 23, 11:25 pm

Actually, LPs are calculated daily based on LPs accumulated. PNRs that have a waitlist for an upgrade are sorted by status and LPs. So behind the scenes the waitlist order could change depending on changes to PAXs LPs.

Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
My experience was that you will show as EXP on tickets and get the right LP multiplier. However, it seems your priority in the upgrade queue will still show as Pro. What I donít know is how they calculate the spend priority. Iím guessing they just put you on the list with your status and then as it gets close to the flight they look at spend. Itís possible the systems may also notice youíre a different status. It was trivial for the admirals club staff to do. Otherwise, DM AA on Twitter.
Old Jan 23, 23, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by 777lover View Post
Actually, LPs are calculated daily based on LPs accumulated. PNRs that have a waitlist for an upgrade are sorted by status and LPs. So behind the scenes the waitlist order could change depending on changes to PAXs LPs.
The question though is when you ticket as a PPro for example, regardless of LP, it seems you are put on the ďAU ListĒ as PPro regardless of LP. Itís possible you could show up to the airport months later as an EXP with 225k LP and the system still has you as PPro with 225k LP for upgrades. Certainly youíd be at top of the PPro list. However, you would be behind an EXP that hasnít requalíd or one with only 205k points.

Iím not sure if the above is what actually happens, but based on what I saw at the admirals club and the general guidance to get your tickets to be disassociated and reassociated leads me to believe the status on the AU doesnít get updated after ticketing without manual intervention allowing the above scenario to occur.
Old Jan 23, 23, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, AC 75K. Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
This was before my time.

AA mailed you actual stickers and then you attach them to the BP? Was there a way to request them ahead of time or did you have to produce the sticker at the check in desk?
If I recall correctly they were attached to the paper ticket coupon and came in different denominations. Like 500 miles, 2500 miles, 1 segment, and a one way multi leg sticker.. You could combine them.

Sometimes they would forget to take them - always a good day. And I do recall once not getting my new credentials and stickers in the mail. So I called and they sent me a replacement. 3-4 weeks later our fantastic postal service found the original mail and I had double stickers for the year
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
This was before my time.

AA mailed you actual stickers and then you attach them to the BP? Was there a way to request them ahead of time or did you have to produce the sticker at the check in desk?
They were printed by the agent at the airport who attached them to my BP. I needed 3 stickers. They were all printed on a regular sheet of printer paper. It was so long ago I can't remember all the details. It was before the iPhone age, else I would've taken a picture.

[Edited to add:] I did post about this a few years ago, but not contemporaneously with the event.

Any Idea What "Flight Coupon Required" means
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You are correct that you need to remove and readd the number or have your record modified by an agent to refresh the latest status. By default and with no changes, it will reflect status at booking.

Ask the agent at the check in desk or AC to remove your AA FFN and re add it on your next flight. Should show as EXP then.

The sooner you sort it, the better as benefits aside, EXP also gets a better LP multiplier.
Not the way it has worked for me. I am flying tomorrow on a trip booked when i was gold and achieved Platinum 1 weeks ago. Everything about my trip tomorrow from seat selection to baggage allowance to boarding group shows platinum status.
Old Jan 23, 23, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Not the way it has worked for me. I am flying tomorrow on a trip booked when i was gold and achieved Platinum 1 weeks ago. Everything about my trip tomorrow from seat selection to baggage allowance to boarding group shows platinum status.
I don't doubt you, but that's quite rare.
MIAFlyer and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 4:39 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I actually flew an Alaska trip with my AA number and hit platinum pro when the outbound posted. Didn’t think much of it, but my BP changed to OW Emerald for the return flights without doing a thing. Shocked me in a good way.

I’m going to be close enough to EXP that I’ll buy some shoes early or something to get over the top. My CC will all have posted around the 12th of Feb and my last booked trip ends early Feb, so I’ll know exactly what I need with two weeks to spare. The credit card spend from my business has been the key. Only flew 16 segments. 8 each on AS and AA.
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
As stated, the status will update and youíll get the new perks and your boarding pass will say Platinum. However, it seems any of your upgrade requests will still be as a Gold flier on upcoming flights that were ticketed before the status change. Youíd never know as youíre just a number on the list, but my research and findings indicate your number on that list is likely higher than it should/could be. Again, I agree, the status WILL change in terms of what you and gate agents see.
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
You are correct that you need to remove and readd the number or have your record modified by an agent to refresh the latest status. By default and with no changes, it will reflect status at booking.

Ask the agent at the check in desk or AC to remove your AA FFN and re add it on your next flight. Should show as EXP then.

The sooner you sort it, the better as benefits aside, EXP also gets a better LP multiplier.
does anyone know if upgrades show the LPs you had when you booked, or when youíre about to fly and have the upgrades processed?
Old Jan 25, 23, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Juanefny View Post
does anyone know if upgrades show the LPs you had when you booked, or when youíre about to fly and have the upgrades processed?
Per any earlier comment, the LPs are calculated daily so it should be a fresh view of everyoneísí LP in terms of priority.
Juanefny likes this.

Search this Thread