Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Top-Performing Airports - 2 AA Hubs (PHL, CLT)

Old Jan 19, 23, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver

In shocking news (at least to me being PHL based), the top performing airports in the world for 2022. I can't believe PHL was #5 on the list.1. Haneda Airport, Tokyo (90.33% punctuality; 373,264 flights).
2. Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore, India (84.08% punctuality; 201,897 flights).
3. Salt Lake City International Airport, Utah (83.87% punctuality; 226,545 flights).
4. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, Michigan (82.62% punctuality; 271,963 flights).
5. Philadelphia International Airport, Pennsylvania (82.54% punctuality; 233,777 flights).
6. Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, Minnesota (81.95% punctuality; 276,346 flights).
7. Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi (81.84% punctuality; 411,205 flights).
8. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Washington (81.04% punctuality; 383,250 flights).
9. El Dorado International Airport, Bogot (80.72% punctuality; 273,721 flights).
10. Charlotte Douglas International Airport, North Carolina (80.68% punctuality; 457,871 flights)

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...022/index.html
Old Jan 19, 23, 9:35 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Hmm, seems I unluckily always seem to catch CLT during the 19.32% of the time things aren't on time.
Old Jan 19, 23, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
Really amazing the number of flights CLT handles.
arollins and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 7:34 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I think AA cutting a lot of flights out of PHL has helped performance. Prior to the merger PHL was handling north of 450K movements per year. This year they are not even going to crack 300K.

PHL's domestic operations is a mere skeleton of what it was prior to the integration of operations.
lowfareair and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 11:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I think AA cutting a lot of flights out of PHL has helped performance. Prior to the merger PHL was handling north of 450K movements per year. This year they are not even going to crack 300K.

PHL's domestic operations is a mere skeleton of what it was prior to the integration of operations.
Do you foresee a potential dehubbing of PHL in the future? Wondering because of its near proximity with JFK and DCA, two other AA hubs.
Old Jan 20, 23, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Do you foresee a potential dehubbing of PHL in the future? Wondering because of its near proximity with JFK and DCA, two other AA hubs.
No. I believe I read somewhere that Philly is the largest metro market with only one major airport. If I can find the cite this weekend, I'll update the post.

Also, there's a lot of O&D traffic, and PHL isn't slot constrained.
Old Jan 20, 23, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SpencerC11
22nd largest MSA in the country and 7th busiest airport in the world by aircraft movements.

Really is incredible how much it punches above it's weight.

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
No. I believe I read somewhere that Philly is the largest metro market with only one major airport. If I can find the cite this weekend, I'll update the post.

Also, there's a lot of O&D traffic, and PHL isn't slot constrained.
It is. The only MSAs larger than PHL are
  • ​​​​​​New York
  • Los Angeles
  • Chicago
  • Dallas Forth Worth
  • Houston
  • Washington DC
all of those have multiple airports.

That said, while I agree that AA wouldn't dehub PHL, I don't think it's going to be the TATL goldmine they hoped it would be. We're seeing that with the slow cuts. CLT is getting a 3rd LHR flight even.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
That said, while I agree that AA wouldn't dehub PHL, I don't think it's going to be the TATL goldmine they hoped it would be. We're seeing that with the slow cuts. CLT is getting a 3rd LHR flight even.
One thing that might be good to analyze is whether they've retained the afternoon feed from/to the TATL flights. Without that, and even with high O&D, TATL will be under pressure.
golfingboy and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 12:57 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
To be fair, PHL users also have EWR (1hr30m) and arguably BWI (1hr45m) available to them within a reasonable travel distance.

Not a true 1 airport area like say somewhere like CLT would be (RDU being 2h40m away).
golfingboy likes this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 1:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Gotcha. Not to veer this thread too off topic, but which hub do you think AA is likely to dehub next? I'd say maybe PHX or JFK, because of LAX and PHL/DCA/CLT being close to those hubs. I'd think LAX is too lucrative to AA to cut, especially for their TPACs, and dehubbing JFK might make sense because it's expensive to maintain.

To keep on topic, that makes sense re: PHL. I noticed most of my connecting flights route me through CLT/DFW/ORD, not PHL. I always try to pick ORD, just like that hub for some reason.
Old Jan 20, 23, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Gotcha. Not to veer this thread too off topic, but which hub do you think AA is likely to dehub next? I'd say maybe PHX or JFK, because of LAX and PHL/DCA/CLT being close to those hubs. I'd think LAX is too lucrative to AA to cut, especially for their TPACs, and dehubbing JFK might make sense because it's expensive to maintain.
AA won't dehub either. LAX has been cut down quite a bit with partner AS doing the heavy lifting. Without PHX, AA's closest western hub would be DFW.

JFK, not a chance. AA mints money on JFK-LHR and JFK-LAX, two of the most profitable routes in the world.
Old Jan 20, 23, 1:24 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I do not foresee AA dehubbing PHL, but a lot like PHX its seeing a significantly smaller role in the network compared to the US Airways days. AA had this notion early in the merger that they would make PHL the main TATL hub by shifting more TATL flights from JFK to PHL. That did not work out well as PHL does not have a large premium TATL O/D and they eliminated at least two connecting banks at PHL. PHL while not slot constrained like JFK suffers infrastructure limitations - not enough widebody capable gates and the remote stand operation was a mess.

AA/US miscalculated the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast market early in the merger IMHO now they are left without a clear strategy/position in this market hence the dependence on certain partnerships to try and regain some competitive edge.

Out of BWI (and multiple other markets in the region) it's very difficult to make AA work. Multiple double connect itineraries or sky-high fares (typically 2.5-3x) for normal one stop connections with no overnighting required and a large part of this issue is a very poor connectivity set up in the market. They are facing similar issues out west with their LAX/PHX hubs and their TPAC set up.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jan 20, 23 at 1:31 pm
Old Jan 20, 23, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I do not foresee AA dehubbing PHL, but a lot like PHX its seeing a significantly smaller role in the network compared to the US Airways days. AA had this notion early in the merger that they would make PHL the main TATL hub by shifting more TATL flights from JFK to PHL. That did not work out well as PHL does not have a large premium TATL O/D and they eliminated at least two connecting banks at PHL.
I'll disagree a bit as I think the biggest issue AA has with PHL is that they treat PHL TATL as a monopoly market for nonstops and charge accordingly for PHL-Europe flights, even when XXX-PHL-Europe is hundred cheaper r/t, but EWR is close enough that people will fly out of there when the price is decently better. I've almost never seen better prices out of Philly, and it is often hundreds of dollars more than EWR/JFK.

2 personal examples:

1) I'm doing a Europe trip with 3 others later this year. Been looking at prices the last couple months out of PHL and EWR - I can do nonstops out of EWR on Star Alliance (or AA/BA out of JFK) for ~$600 r/t pp and PHL is ~$1100 r/t. this is generally across several options of European cities to fly into/out of and various dates across a couple months. I'm not looking for the absolute lowest price, but saving $2k in exchange for driving an extra hour each way is difficult to avoid. I have a good number of friends who have done that as well, all with household incomes well into the 6 figures so not exactly needing to get the lowest possible price.

2) I used to work for a company in the Philly area that allowed J to Europe but if it was over $1000 cheaper to fly J out of EWR, they would book that and provide a r/t car service for the staff member. The travel coordinator once told me that about three quarters of Philly-to-Europe bookings went out of EWR, and this was for a company that had over 1,000 Europe trips per year so a pretty good sample size.

AA pretends like Philly is a monopoly market for TATL, but when prices are that much higher, many people, including premium travelers, will suck up the extra 30-90 minute drive to EWR.
LINDEGR, golfingboy, JMN57 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
To be fair, PHL users also have EWR (1hr30m) and arguably BWI (1hr45m) available to them within a reasonable travel distance.
And Amtrak makes the trip from 30th Street Station to EWR Airport Rail Station in about an hour. (You do have to add some time for the AirTrain connection.)

30th Street Station to BWI Airport Rail Station is just under 90 minutes on Amtrak.
​​​​​​
Daze likes this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 8:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Exploder, Hilton/IHG Diamond, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club.
Originally Posted by SpencerC11
Considering it was never meant for that much traffic, mechanical or meat-based.

Also: the moving WALKway is just that. Do NOT park your butt and block us who are sprinting from A11 to E58 because our plane landed on that far runway almost in So. Carolina then we had to wait for the luggage cart/tug/staircar/pushmipullyu parade and marching band to pass. But it left on time. Just without us.

Also also: The moving WALKway is ending. Step off, cracker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.