Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant who did absolutely nothing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

On today’s flight (operated by Envoy Air as American Eagle), the flight attendant in first class did absolutely nothing:

1. She didn’t greet passengers as they boarded; I don’t know where she was.
2. She didn’t offer a pre-departure beverage.
3. “Due to the short duration of this flight, there will be no service.” Not even in first class. Not even drinks upon request.
4. Upon landing, she just sat there looking at her device instead of saying goodbye to passengers.

I know that FAs are there for safety, and it’s only a 90-mile flight, but she was totally checked out.

In addition to recommending her to Amtrak, would you do anything? I try never to complain, but she just didn’t care at all about passengers.
enviroian, jmj9905, AADFW and 13 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
"Primarily there for your safety"

You can complain and AA may throw some miles at you, but that's it. Unfortunately, as seniority is the sole metric that counts for FAs, you can be completely useless at your job and there's nothing anyone can and will do.

this is the monster that the A"P"FA and naive and weak CEOs like Arpey and onwards have created.
jmj9905, James91, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
You should have snapped her with your device while she was looking at hers and submitted it with your complaint. Or maybe you did.....
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
On today’s flight (operated by Envoy Air as American Eagle), the flight attendant in first class did absolutely nothing:

3. “Due to the short duration of this flight, there will be no service.” Not even in first class. Not even drinks upon request.
4. Upon landing, she just sat there looking at her device instead of saying goodbye to passengers.

I know that FAs are there for safety, and it’s only a 90-mile flight, but she was totally checked out.

In addition to recommending her to Amtrak, would you do anything?
Yes. Send brief report that you posted above to AA Customer Relations. Were this not an Envoy flight I would have also said that you must also send the same report to the CEO of the regional actually employing the FA but in this case MQ is owned by AA.

Be sure to provide flight number, date, board/off, and FA's name if known (description if not).

How short of a flight are we talking, by the way?

Originally Posted by Antarius
You can complain and AA may throw some miles at you, but that's it. Unfortunately, as seniority is the sole metric that counts for FAs, you can be completely useless at your job and there's nothing anyone can and will do.
This is wrong. If enough performance issues are documented, even APFA (isn't MQ AFA though?) FAs can be fired. Or at a minimum retrained/disciplined.

Report every example of substandard service like OP encountered; provide specifics and name names. That FA has no business working in that job and was not complying with company policy.

If no one complains formally, nothing will ever change.
Spiff, enviroian, jmj9905 and 16 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
90 mile flight is probably 20-25 minutes in the air. Don't really see what the big deal is other than not being greeted at door.
JIMCHI, SJOGuy, awayIgo and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I was on JFK<>PHL last year and the FA managed to offer drinks, refills, and a fig bar on the flight for J.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
This is wrong. If enough performance issues are documented, even APFA (isn't MQ AFA though?) FAs can be fired. Or at a minimum retrained/disciplined.
There's no way that AA has such consistently substandard service if this is realistically the case. It may be written policy somewhere, but there are far too many people coasting on their seniority with A"P"FA providing air cover for there to be real consequences.
ewoo likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Antarius
There's no way that AA has such consistently substandard service if this is realistically the case. It may be written policy somewhere, but there are far too many people coasting on their seniority with A"P"FA providing air cover for there to be real consequences.
How can AA ever dish out real consequences if specifics of substandard FA performance are never documented?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I was on JFK<>PHL last year and the FA managed to offer drinks, refills, and a fig bar on the flight for J.
Well the FA in the original post obviously couldn't give a fig
roberto99, mikeef, cedric and 19 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can AA ever dish out real consequences if specifics of substandard FA performance are never documented?
I didn't say that it shouldn't be reported. I said that it's not going to have any impact.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes. Send brief report that you posted above to AA Customer Relations. Were this not an Envoy flight I would have also said that you must also send the same report to the CEO of the regional actually employing the FA but in this case MQ is owned by AA.

Be sure to provide flight number, date, board/off, and FA's name if known (description if not).

How short of a flight are we talking, by the way?

Report every example of substandard service like OP encountered; provide specifics and name names. That FA has no business working in that job and was not complying with company policy.

If no one complains formally, nothing will ever change.
Thanks. I will. I am not going to ask for compensation as I didn’t incur any loss. (Or will getting some miles make the report count more towards something internally that can result in change?).

This is really to help AA retain the vast majority of FAs who are good to great, and work to improve the small minority who aren’t.
JIMCHI, Spiff and Fly2Connect like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FAA1996
90 mile flight is probably 20-25 minutes in the air. Don't really see what the big deal is other than not being greeted at door.
While I agree with you BA can pull off a hot meal in CE on a *similar* based flight duration.
Spiff, salut0, James91 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:09 pm

While I do not agree with the inactions of this FA, Envoy does not belong to APFA
JIMCHI and Tanic like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler

In addition to recommending her to Amtrak, would you do anything? I try never to complain, but she just didn’t care at all about passengers.

Oh, don't wish her on Amtrak!

But seriously, do report her.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Yeah regional FAs can be cut loose pretty easily. Hopefully this one is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.