Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA drops MIA-TLV

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:57 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
AA drops MIA-TLV

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...iami-tel-aviv/

Well that didn't last long. DL and UA are increasing TLV service, and AA drops this popular route? Aircraft/pilot shortage?

I took this last June when it was a 772 (return was JFK) before it went daily in October with a 788. This blows; being in ATL, I'd much rather go back this spring through MIA than deal with B6 to JFK or two stops on AA ATL-xxx-JFK. They also think it's feasible to go ATL-LGA and somehow get across Queens to JFK. Hard NOPE.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
American's strategy appears to be throwing .... at the wall and hoping something will stick.
boss315, M60_to_LGA and SNA_Flyer like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
DL and UA are blowing AA out of the water when it comes to international expansion.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! It didn’t last longer enough! I knows they flew Miami to TLV by last year. They went to Israel for 12 days. The flight is not full. Yield is not good enough. Clearly, El Al was too much competition. The flights are always full everyday! Lot of Jewish population are going to Israel. They better orders 787-10 or 777-9X. Still have more demands!
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
There are a few factors at play here.

DL is about to launch ATL-TLV on 3/26. Probably not a coincidence that MIA-TLV is ending 3/24.

The sheer length of this route means you need to have fairly robust yields to justify the aircraft utilization. Direct competition from LY on MIA-TLV doesn't help in this regard.

China is also opening up again finally, so there are new opportunities for the wide-bodies that otherwise would serve this route.

Still, it's surprising to see a route cut only a couple months after increasing from 3x or 4x/week to daily service.
ZenFlyer and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:10 pm

AA canceled this flight several times this with the past 14 days without an explanation. Something else is an issue. Anyone have any thoughts?
ZenFlyer and boss315 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: co AA ua
Finally a route LY beats someone, or LY will cancel the flight. Probably not enough business traffic.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I think Asia opening up is a factor: this summer AA is flying 4x daily to Japan, whereas last summer it was less than daily. PKX and SEA-PVG also take a couple of planes away. AA probably don't have enough frames to fully fly the schedule (and are 788 deliveries still delayed?)
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
DL and UA are blowing AA out of the water when it comes to international expansion.
Seems like that's been the case for the longest time. I still remember pre-merger AA only offering NRT/PVG/PEK and then finally adding HKG/ICN down the road while DL/UA flew to way more Asian destinations.
FlyFreakquently likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:01 am

It is curious how DL can manage JFK, BOS, ATL service to TLV, UA offers 2x daily from EWR, plus IAD, ORD, SFO, while AA can't handle anything but JFK with feeder traffic from B6. Many of those routes also face head to head LY competition and many of them have added capacity recently. Meanwhile AA abandons MIA and never launched the previously announced DFW-TLV route despite a huge subsidy from the Israeli government.​​​​​
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I wonder if its partially a function of available widebodies? MIA-TLV definitely requires two aircraft. AA has its smallest widebody (a 788) on this route.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Surprised they couldn't make this route work.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by born sleepy
They also think it's feasible to go ATL-LGA and somehow get across Queens to JFK. Hard NOPE.
​​​​​​Oh man, I did that on my very first trip to Israel back when I was a poor, clueless college student. ORD-LGA and then took some sort of shuttle bus to JFK to catch my flight on LY. It actually worked fine (I think I had around a 6-hour layover), but I'd never want to do that again.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:57 am

You would think connecting traffic to Latin America would be significant. If Israelis get visa-free travel to the US (been a sensitive political issue but I would expect it in the next couple years), then that certainly would help.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by njvandy
You would think connecting traffic to Latin America would be significant. If Israelis get visa-free travel to the US (been a sensitive political issue but I would expect it in the next couple years), then that certainly would help.
But what sort of demand is there for travel between Israel and Latin America? There's not really a significant bilateral business relationship, and tourist demand is going to be focused on cheap fares (think Israeli backpackers on their post-military tiyulim).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.