Wiki Posts
Search

Get Boarding pass at airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro
Get Boarding pass at airport?

Okay, checked in for flight from SJD to PHX. Upgraded t-100. Wife also checked in . She got her boarding passes but mine says, surprisingly as an EXP, get your BP at airport?

Any thoughts from the house?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:41 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Okay, checked in for flight from SJD to PHX. Upgraded t-100. Wife also checked in . She got her boarding passes but mine says, surprisingly as an EXP, get your BP at airport?

Any thoughts from the house?
The last time I had that happen it was due to the dreaded `SSSS`
enviroian, aj411, apeortdz and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Okay what is the SSSS?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Okay what is the SSSS?
Selected for additional security. Exactly what that means varies, from just a few extra questions to a full manual search of all your bags plus a full pat down of your body. Definitely a good idea for as many bags as possible to “belong” to the person without SSSS; your companion’s bags won’t get the extra search, but yours will. When I’ve had SSSS, I’ve also been unable to check in at a kiosk; will have to wait in line to check in with a human.

I’d allow an extra 30 minutes at the airport if it does turn out to be SSSS; you will not be able to officially tell in advance. I’ve had it be less than five minutes extra, but I’ve had it be that long.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:48 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Okay what is the SSSS?
Secondary Security Screening Selection. At some point in the process you'll get pulled aside for additional screening, usually a physical examination of your belongings and/or a residue swab test. I've also been asked to power on all electronics to prove they still worked.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5-Star
I had the same thing happen a couple of months ago on my SJD-PHX flight after my wife and I were upgraded. Indeed, it was the dreaded SSSS. It wasn't that bad at all, after I scanned my boarding pass I was approached by a female security agent who asked me a couple of questions. Not sure if being fluent in Spanish helped, but the whole screening took maybe 2 to 3 minutes and I was then allowed to board. As a disclaimer, this was my experience this time. I'm aware that SSSS can entail additional lengthy security checks.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
"The man with the rubber glove was surprisingly gentle."
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful comments.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
And there's coffee all over my keyboard and monitor

All the best, James
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate_massage
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'd rather be handed the dreaded SSSS any day than that stupid post boarding random screening in the jetway.

Last edited by enviroian; Jan 5, 2023 at 9:57 am
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'd rather be handed the dreaded SSSS any day then that stupid post boarding random screening in the jetway.
In most countries, the SSSS is a screening in the jetway. Only in the USA does TSA do the differentiated search. I like it outside the USA, because you're already at the gate, and they're not leaving without you. They also pre-board you,
Gerbs, FAA1996 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'd rather be handed the dreaded SSSS any day then that stupid post boarding random screening in the jetway.
You want SSSS and then "that stupid post boarding random screening in the jetway?"
You're probably one of the few ones that want both.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
You want SSSS and then "that stupid post boarding random screening in the jetway?"
You're probably one of the few ones that want both.
AAway likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:52 am
Original Poster

UPDATE: was able to get the BP through a kiosk which was helpful because the lines were just awful, even priority (which includes gold) had 30 people in it with all kinds of large luggage, but is was the SSSS.

This happened on the jetway after I passed the AA BP desk. It was only a couple of minutes but yes stressful. Am a little frustrated as they took my backpack which had my sweater packed on top. they just tossed it aside, riffled through the backpack and then gave the pack back to me. Since I was a little flustered I didn't notice that they didn't repack the cast aside sweater and didn't realize it was not returned until I went to get it after takeoff to start warm.
_kurt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.