Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hey buddy, that is an 0 not O

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
Hey buddy, that is an 0 not O

I just learned that all AAdvantage numbers that have a mix of letters and numbers ONLY has a 0 (number zero) and not an O (capital letter O) as the letter O is not part of anyone membership.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
O, but 0 interest!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
Originally Posted by georgeroads
O, but 0 interest!
You obviously don't have an 0 in your membership number as sometimes you read it or have to enter it online and it is easy to mix up.
S80, formeraa and SK like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
On the rare occasions that I have to provide my AAdvantage number over the phone, I always say, "the numeral zero" when I get to the "0" in my AAdvantage number.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I clearly feel like getting flamed today as I can't help but say that zero is not a number.

*ducks*
mrow, MiamiBill, halls120 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by guv1976
On the rare occasions that I have to provide my AAdvantage number over the phone, I always say, "the numeral zero" when I get to the "0" in my AAdvantage number.
As opposed to the alpha character zero? 😉😊
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:05 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by roberino
I clearly feel like getting flamed today as I can't help but say that zero is not a number.

*ducks*
Ok, I'll bite. The greatest minds in math have differed over this since the abacus was invented. I'm in the "Zero IS considered a number" camp, but it's neither positive nor negative. But it does signify an empty quality, it is used in calculations, it represents a baseline. The same argument has been made that negative numbers are not 'numbers' because they don't represent a quantity. It won't be long before this debate moves over to the Omni forum. So get this back on track, my AA number has a ZERO at the end of it. I never once considered it a letter, but maybe because my account "number" is XXX####.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:10 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by PHL
Ok, I'll bite. The greatest minds in math have differed over this since the abacus was invented. I'm in the "Zero IS considered a number" camp, but it's neither positive nor negative. But it does signify an empty quality, it is used in calculations, it represents a baseline. The same argument has been made that negative numbers are not 'numbers' because they don't represent a quantity. It won't be long before this debate moves over to the Omni forum. So get this back on track, my AA number has a ZERO at the end of it. I never once considered it a letter, but maybe because my account "number" is XXX####.
I didn't come here for an argument. That's in Room 12A.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
I never understood the purpose of using letters in membership numbers, it just makes for difficulty in VOR systems. I get it, 26 options vs. 10 per character, but just make the number 1-2 characters longer. Letters are a bad idea in membership credentials that need to be shared via phone.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by roberino

*ducks*
And yet the computer / mobile device you are using wouldn't work without a gazoober (or is that gaz00ber?) of zeros! And then what about imaginary numbers? Egad! Or irrational ones? Oh no! Or complex ones? Or quaternions? Or octonions?

For me (getting back on track), I've never understood why PNRs use the full character set. To eliminate potential ambiguities, one would expect they use only one of 0/O, 1/I/L, J/G (many non-native English speakers get those confused), V/W (again, can be confused in other languages), etc.
jediwisdom likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpezaris
For me (getting back on track), I've never understood why PNRs use the full character set. To eliminate potential ambiguities, one would expect they use only one of 0/O, 1/I/L, J/G (many non-native English speakers get those confused), V/W (again, can be confused in other languages), etc.
Agreed...somebody must have studied this and we should eliminate confusing letters/numbers from membeship numbers. Besides, with 8 characters using four letters and 4 numbers (or the other way around) there would be enough for the entire planet.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
So, why wasn’t there a year zero? No Roman numeral for it.

I do know a guy who is so afraid of negative numbers he will stop at nothing to avoid them. (I know too many math jokes)
M60_to_LGA, BlooJoo, mrow and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Learned this long ago...
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiBill
I just learned that all AAdvantage numbers that have a mix of letters and numbers ONLY has a 0 (number zero) and not an O (capital letter O) as the letter O is not part of anyone membership.
In the software I use zero (0) is a number. NaN is not a number, or more precisely, not a number is written NaN.

I had a colleague once who could have spent the entire lunch hour pontificating about the number-ness of zero, starting from ancient Egypt and working up to the present day.
HGH and hbtr like this.

Last edited by malbik; Jan 5, 2023 at 2:04 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jpezaris
That's why there are various phoenetic alphabets in use - none of these are confused then.
econ and mrow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.