Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's your $/mile for AAdvantage flights

Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear

According to various websites, the value of AAdvantage miles when used to book flights ranges from $0.01 to about $.018 per mile

However, I was able to book a few flights at a $.04 valuation and some at $.025 and a few at $0.19
Not sure what is going on, but fc fares are insane and I won't pay $2,500 for a one way fc fare, but if I can do it reasonably on miles, I book it with miles.

All first class travel

April 2022 - PHX-MIA = 55k miles = $.019 value
May 2022 - SFO-FLL = 45k miles = $.026 value
August 2022 - FLL-MEM = 16k miles = $.040 value
November 2022 - MIA-PLS (R/T) = 40k miles = $025 value
February 2023 - LAX-MIA = 62k miles = $.040 value
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MiamiBill
According to various websites, the value of AAdvantage miles when used to book flights ranges from $0.01 to about $.018 per mile

However, I was able to book a few flights at a $.04 valuation and some at $.025 and a few at $0.19
Not sure what is going on, but fc fares are insane and I won't pay $2,500 for a one way fc fare, but if I can do it reasonably on miles, I book it with miles.

All first class travel

April 2022 - PHX-MIA = 55k miles = $.019 value
May 2022 - SFO-FLL = 45k miles = $.026 value
August 2022 - FLL-MEM = 16k miles = $.040 value
November 2022 - MIA-PLS (R/T) = 40k miles = $025 value
February 2023 - LAX-MIA = 62k miles = $.040 value
Seems sop these days at AA. I had rarely used miles on a domestic until last 2 years. See what the next few years brings.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
Does anyone else track this conversion value?
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MiamiBill
Does anyone else track this conversion value?
No. Utterly pointless to do so, IMO.
rill2503456 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by bse118
No. Utterly pointless to do so, IMO.
I don't think it is pointless at all. It's a useful metric of whether you're getting good value for your miles or not.
JIMCHI, apeortdz, hbtr and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:31 am

I was always under the impression the CPM values were calculated for economy fares, not business/first. Every time I've priced out an economy ticket using miles, I get $0.01 to $0.015 per mile.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I think it's a good idea to see what value you are getting for your miles although to be honest, the only time I calculate cpm is when I'm looking at booking a mileage run which in my book should get you .03-.06 cpeqm.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I don't think it is pointless at all. It's a useful metric of whether you're getting good value for your miles or not.
Miles aren't currency - so I don't value them as if they were currency. Costs me nothing to earn them (come as a byproduct of spending/flying I'm doing for other reasons). Miles can only be redeemed for a limited range of activities - currency cam be used for a theoretically unlimited range of activities. Not a 1:1 comparison.

I generally (not exclusively) use miles for trips that my willingness to pay for is zero. It other words for purely fun, experiential trips. Trying to decide whether a redemption is a monetarily defined "good value" just leads to obsessing over devaluation and "not getting enough" - instead of just enjoying things. And I don't need a "cpm" valuation to know a 80K JL first redemption is a better value than a 300K AA J redemption on the same itinerary. (to take a example from a trip I just finished).

YMMV
safari ari likes this.

Last edited by bse118; Jan 5, 2023 at 9:42 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:22 am
HGH

I track them for several reasons, including if the AA card is the best option for me. Right now, I have to frequently take CLT-BHM and can usually get a flight at 3.5 cents per mile. If I was paying for all these flights, I would be driving more often instead, which is a huge pain.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by bse118
Miles aren't currency - so I don't value them as if they were currency. Costs me nothing to earn them (come as a byproduct of spending/flying I'm doing for other reasons). Miles can only be redeemed for a limited range of activities - currency cam be used for a theoretically unlimited range of activities. Not a 1:1 comparison.

I generally (not exclusively) use miles for trips that my willingness to pay for is zero. It other words for purely fun, experiential trips. Trying to decide whether a redemption is a monetarily defined "good value" just leads to obsessing over devaluation and "not getting enough" - instead of just enjoying things. And I don't need a "cpm" valuation to know a 80K JL first redemption is a better value than a 300K AA J redemption on the same itinerary. (to take a example from a trip I just finished).

YMMV
I think YMMV is the key point in your post. I'm sure there are many people in your boat, just as there are many people who view things differently. I don't view the miles I earn as a byproduct. I make conscious decisions about what credit card I use, which shopping portal I use and what airline I fly (don't worry, the fact that "airline" was the last in that list is not lost on me ), and the miles earned and their "redeemability" (I'm sure that's not a word) is something I take into account. Sometimes I choose to outright buy miles, not by virtue of actually buying them through the "buy miles" portal, but by paying more for something that earns me miles vs. paying less and not earning miles. In all of these instances the worth of the miles is important to take into account.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Basically, it is ~1 cent a mile if I want to use them when it is convenient (Fri-Sun days in the summer, spring break, winter break, etc). (Seems like cash prices may at most double at those times, but mileage redemptions quadruple or worse)
1.5 cent a mile if I am a little flexible (i.e. shoulder season, Tuesday-Tuesday travel)
2.5+ cent a mile when I just stop caring about my kid missing school, dealing with my own lectures at work, etc.

Most of my actual redemptions have been 1.5-2 cent a mile, but I now have built up a stash that I haven't been able to find as good a use for lately. Might just build it further and go for partner international flights in J or something for the whole family.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:25 pm
Suspended

I regularly book Web Specials for 11,000 to 20,000 miles, which would cost $300-$400.
TheDudeAbides, Cooper21 and nk15 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
I'm on a round trip to vegas and back at 1.9 cents per mile in March.. added benefit that I can route it through LAX on the outbound and PHL on the return for widebody service both ways... wouldn't have been a legal routing on a paid ticket. I view that as a decent value.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
It is pointless when only making the booking due to award availability. For a value metric to have any meaning, it would need to be a situation where the same ticket in the same class would otherwise have been purchased
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I usually dont touch my miles unless the airfare is north of $400 round trip. Then, its a function of what award is available. Last good award I got was for 22,500 miles and the corresponding paid airfare was in the range of about $700 to $740 round trip. I just did another award for 21,000 miles and the airfare was in the range of $440 to $550.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.