Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I transfer AA miles to another program? I can't find Biz award travel on AA.

Can I transfer AA miles to another program? I can't find Biz award travel on AA.

Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:36 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to to fly business class from BKK to anything east coast U.S. (NYC, PHL, CLT, ATL), but there is nothing at all for most of the year. I guess it's a JAL partner flight. The only work around I can find is to fly to SIN or KUL and then there are some options via Cathay Pacific. Since I already have to take a flight to get to BKK, that starts to be a LOT of flights to get back to the U.S. to visit. Chiang Mai -> Bangkok -> Singapore -> Hong Kong -> NYC -> Charlotte. Yikes!

So, can I transfer AA miles to another Oneworld partner? Booking with AA is not going to be possible out of BKK, and their calendar rarely loads (it seems to only load when there is a day of the month with availability, which there typically isn't).

Or, do any Oneworld partners let you Book using the AA miles, or is it a MUST that you book partner travel through the AA portal?

I have points with UR and TYP if I really need to use them, but I'd rather use my AA miles since I have 400k of them and few opportunities to use them.

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by trademarkedTM
I'm trying to to fly business class from BKK to anything east coast U.S. (NYC, PHL, CLT, ATL), but there is nothing at all for most of the year. I guess it's a JAL partner flight. The only work around I can find is to fly to SIN or KUL and then there are some options via Cathay Pacific. Since I already have to take a flight to get to BKK, that starts to be a LOT of flights to get back to the U.S. to visit. Chiang Mai -> Bangkok -> Singapore -> Hong Kong -> NYC -> Charlotte. Yikes!

So, can I transfer AA miles to another Oneworld partner? Booking with AA is not going to be possible out of BKK, and their calendar rarely loads (it seems to only load when there is a day of the month with availability, which there typically isn't).

Or, do any Oneworld partners let you Book using the AA miles, or is it a MUST that you book partner travel through the AA portal?

I have points with UR and TYP if I really need to use them, but I'd rather use my AA miles since I have 400k of them and few opportunities to use them.

Thanks!
There is no way to transfer AA miles directly to any other FFP. An indirect transfer via a hotel frequent-guest program might be possible, but you would suffer tremendous devaluation of your AA miles that way.

You must redeem AAdvantage miles through AA.

You might have better luck going West. You could combine one award from BKK to Europe or the Middle East, with a second award from the intermediate point to the U.S. This will cost you more miles, but you would have the option to stop over (rather than merely connect) at the intermediate point, if you wanted to, or if you needed to, in order to find the requisite award availability.
ijgordon and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
There is no way to transfer AA miles directly to any other FFP. An indirect transfer via a hotel frequent-guest program might be possible, but you would suffer tremendous devaluation of your AA miles that way.

You must redeem AAdvantage miles through AA.

You might have better luck going West. You could combine one award from BKK to Europe or the Middle East, with a second award from the intermediate point to the U.S. This will cost you more miles, but you would have the option to stop over (rather than merely connect) at the intermediate point, if you wanted to, or if you needed to, in order to find the requisite award availability.
Thanks, that's a decent idea and I'll do some searching on the total points cost to fly that direction instead. Most of the searching about transferring miles/points says you can't, but then once in awhile I see articles like this that say you can (this one says you can transfer to Qatar, though it's an old article). https://www.airgofly.com/article/how...miles-to-qatar
Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that's a decent idea and I'll do some searching on the total points cost to fly that direction instead. Most of the searching about transferring miles/points says you can't, but then once in awhile I see articles like this that say you can (this one says you can transfer to Qatar, though it's an old article). https://www.airgofly.com/article/how...miles-to-qatar
The assertion that you can directly transfer AAdvantage miles to QR or any other airline program is utter nonsense. Ignore it.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:33 am
Original Poster

The assertion that you can directly transfer AAdvantage miles to QR or any other airline program is utter nonsense. Ignore it.
Ah ok, thank you!
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:08 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Ive found that the AA website sometimes doesnt correctly show flights that could be combined to make an award from Southeast Asia. Try looking separately for BKK-HKG and BKK-TYO and then for HKG-US and TYO-US. If you find flights, you can put them on hold using a multi-city search and then call AA to have them correct the miles required to what it should be as a single reward. If youre comfortable waiting until close enough in, JL opens significant F and J award availability 14 days before departure.
artemis likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I don't know when you are trying to travel, but I was able to easily find Qatar business class availability JFK-DOH-BKK for September 2023 (I am returning from Hanoi). The cost was 110k AA miles each way. For me, the premium compared to flying west was worth it for the ease of booking (and potentially fewer connections from NYC). I searched for reward availability for each leg separately on the British Airways site and then called AA to book the tickets.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, OP if you're just searching "BKK-CLT" and expecting aa.com to return any and all available flights then you're doing it very wrong

Unless you just happen to get win-the-lottery lucky with your dates then you'll most likely never find anything given the current state of partner availability.

As mentioned above you need to search bit by bit and piece it together one flight at a time. Research what partners fly into what cities in the US. Search the long haul segments first, if you find something put it on hold then search from BKK to the Asia gateway (and from the US gateway to CLT or wherever).

If you're willing to spend a few more miles then you can go via the Middle East on QR, EY, or RJ as guv mentioned, but you have to break up the search into say BKK-DOH + DOH-BOS/PHL/ORD/etc. as if you just search BKK-ORD then aa.com will not return any QR results since it can't be priced as a single award.
zip10001 and gophish11 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: AA PLT
Wouldnt BA BKK-LHR then AA LHR-CLT work, at least in principle?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: UA, AS
BKK-JFK on CX is available (booked with AA) June 28 and July 19 if that works. That's as far out as I looked.
zip10001 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond

Thanks!

It took me months of constant checking for JAL F flights on JFK-HND but found them. I still randomly search routes and when JAL has availability in J, there's always the "only 1 seat left" message that comes up (not even consistent availability as it'll show up for a couple hours and then disappear. I've even searched for JFK-BKK a while ago because a friend was going. Try signing up for Expert Flyer and set an alert in case J opens up on BKK-east coast.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Don't transfer your miles to United
I also been searching for BKK- US East coast for last 4 months of 2023 and so far I found Ethiopian J for 99k miles ow with stops in Ethiopia and Togo
The other option is ANA to UA BKK-TYO-EWR-IAD for only 650k miles per person one way!
Expert Flyer is the way to go.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by merrickdb
Ive found that the AA website sometimes doesnt correctly show flights that could be combined to make an award from Southeast Asia. Try looking separately for BKK-HKG and BKK-TYO and then for HKG-US and TYO-US. If you find flights, you can put them on hold using a multi-city search and then call AA to have them correct the miles required to what it should be as a single reward. If youre comfortable waiting until close enough in, JL opens significant F and J award availability 14 days before departure.
I was hoping to fly JL, but not sure I want to wait for the 14 days prior. That's a good idea about the multi city search. Thanks!

Originally Posted by ewh9
I don't know when you are trying to travel, but I was able to easily find Qatar business class availability JFK-DOH-BKK for September 2023 (I am returning from Hanoi). The cost was 110k AA miles each way. For me, the premium compared to flying west was worth it for the ease of booking (and potentially fewer connections from NYC). I searched for reward availability for each leg separately on the British Airways site and then called AA to book the tickets.
I'm flexible on the travel dates, but ideally march or april's. I did see that there were a lot more options by flying through DOH, but that the AA site doesn't show them. I've heard the BA site is decent so I suppose I need to check that out. I think it was 40k from BKK to DOH and 50k (i could be wrong here, maybe it was 70k) from DOH to NYC. I might just have to suck it up and use the 110k each way.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, OP if you're just searching "BKK-CLT" and expecting aa.com to return any and all available flights then you're doing it very wrong

Unless you just happen to get win-the-lottery lucky with your dates then you'll most likely never find anything given the current state of partner availability.

As mentioned above you need to search bit by bit and piece it together one flight at a time. Research what partners fly into what cities in the US. Search the long haul segments first, if you find something put it on hold then search from BKK to the Asia gateway (and from the US gateway to CLT or wherever).

If you're willing to spend a few more miles then you can go via the Middle East on QR, EY, or RJ as guv mentioned, but you have to break up the search into say BKK-DOH + DOH-BOS/PHL/ORD/etc. as if you just search BKK-ORD then aa.com will not return any QR results since it can't be priced as a single award.
I started with BKK to CLT, but quickly learned that produced no results, so I started searching by segments. If those segments are through different partners, would you book it on your own as separate reward flights or call for the booking? I would imagine if AA does it on the phone the total trip would be less miles. Just imagining.. not sure. I started searching flying through DOH and a lot more options emerged, so that's likely the way I'll do it. Thank you!

Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
Wouldnt BA BKK-LHR then AA LHR-CLT work, at least in principle?
. I looked at that but the LHR taxes are ridiculous.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
BKK-JFK on CX is available (booked with AA) June 28 and July 19 if that works. That's as far out as I looked.
. It's just a bit far away. I've been waiting 5 years to visit my family. I was hoping for March or April. If I must, I can do it in the summer.

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
It took me months of constant checking for JAL F flights on JFK-HND but found them. I still randomly search routes and when JAL has availability in J, there's always the "only 1 seat left" message that comes up (not even consistent availability as it'll show up for a couple hours and then disappear. I've even searched for JFK-BKK a while ago because a friend was going. Try signing up for Expert Flyer and set an alert in case J opens up on BKK-east coast.
. I think I tried using Expert Flyer a few years back, and it looked quite useful, but was a bit confusing for someone new to it. (I still haven't learned the letter codes for ticket types). Did you end up getting your JAL flight? If so, how did you get it, by booking online or calling AA?

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Don't transfer your miles to United
I also been searching for BKK- US East coast for last 4 months of 2023 and so far I found Ethiopian J for 99k miles ow with stops in Ethiopia and Togo
The other option is ANA to UA BKK-TYO-EWR-IAD for only 650k miles per person one way!
Expert Flyer is the way to go.
LOL You've definitely been searching thoroughly if you found connections in Ethiopia and Togo. 650k miles haha. I probably should start getting used to Expert Flyer.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL You've definitely been searching thoroughly if you found connections in Ethiopia and Togo. 650k miles haha. I probably should start getting used to Expert Flyer.
I would not dismiss the option of flying Ethiopian. The redemption rate is decent, and it involves just one connection. (The flight from ADD to IAD is a through-flight, which makes a relatively short, en-route stop in Lome, Togo.)
​​​​​
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

I would not dismiss the option of flying Ethiopian. The redemption rate is decent, and it involves just one connection. (The flight from ADD to IAD is a through-flight, which makes a relatively short, en-route stop in Lome, Togo.)
​​​​​
I don't see any award flights from BKK to ADD though. There just one at 70k miles, and then I can find any from ADD to IAD as well, and I assume that's probably another 70k if it exists. Am I going about this the wrong way? It looks like DOH has the most connection options, though i'd rather fly through Tokyo on JAL and get the 70k price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.