FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   2023 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2106245-2023-aa-domestic-meal-meals-menu-photos-etc-master-thread.html)

MrAndy1369 Jan 1, 2023 3:59 pm

2023 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Introduction
Welcome to the 2023 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Looking for older meal posts? Enjoy reading domestic meal threads from years past.For the 2023 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!

denCSA Jan 2, 2023 10:31 am

AA1456: DFW-SLC: 1/1/23 @2p
Lunch
A321

Great service provided by the FA serving first class. Options were cauliflower lasagna (my pre-order choice) or the charcuterie plate. Drinks were free-flowing and no requests had to be made for refills, they just came.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...04f5c0bb3f.jpg

It was pretty good as such, I just couldn't figure out where the 'cauliflower' fit into it? The broccoli salad was only okay.

serfty Jan 3, 2023 5:17 pm

I am booked on an award "Main cabin" in May on a 7pm HNL-DFW on a 787.

To be clear, this is in Economy/Coach.

When I was researching food/meal availability am seeing seemingly somewhat contradictory information.

The AA.com page shows:

Flagship® HawaiiExpandYou’ll get a meal and complimentary beverages, including beer, wine and spirits after takeoff if you’re traveling to / from Hawaii on flights between:
  • Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW)
  • Chicago (ORD)
  • Charlotte (CLT)

But when I look at the booking it just shows "Snack or Brunch".

Does anyone have experience and / or detail on what to expect?

Bradhattan Jan 3, 2023 7:51 pm

Meal or no meal

Sorry if wrong thread (MODS,please move) as I can't view my alleged menu yet on my ORD-DFW-GRR (routing because, why not?). Anyway at booking I am within 30 days and above 24 hours. Menu attempts to show and attempts to show for both flights, but gets stuck (no selections under each drop down). After bypassing menu choice selection somehow, I simply booked the ticket without choosing food. Went back in and now, 3 days running, just get an error message when trying to access preorder options (neither flight shows, just error message).

It seems ORD-DFW is no longer an exception flight - sub 900 miles. Did I encounter a glitch which has now shut down the selection process for me? Individual bookings of same fights show bev service ORD-DFW and lunch DFW-GRR. I guess if it really matters, I could reach out via Twitter? I do prefer functional websites however.

PACLipper Jan 3, 2023 7:59 pm

From DFW to Hawaii, you are served a multi-course lunch, beginning with warmed nuts and your choice of beverage; salad with your choice of dressing; main course with vegetables (I pre-ordered the Golden Chicken, the worst AA meal ever!); and dessert (choice of cheese with 4 grapes, or a sundae [hot fudge or strawberry]). There should be a pre-arrival meal (protein or fruit plate), but this was not served on AA115 Christmas Eve (there was turbulence,.but there was enough time for a dedicated flight crew to have served it; no apology was offered). The service from Hawaii to DFW is similar, with a "continental breakfast" in lieu of the pre-arrival meal. You have access to the Flagship Lounge prior to and after your Hawaii flight in Terminal D, above Gate 22, and the omelet station is not to be missed. I was disappointed with the lack of a pre-arrival meal. I paid for that with my ticket. Oh well. UA once skipped the pre-arrival meal on a flight from IAD to HNL, and that flight was ten hours plus. AA has raised the ticket cost of its Hawaii Flagship flights considerably, as post-pandemic demand is up. You have a choice of entree within 30 days of your Hawaii flight on aa.com. UA does not offer a pre-departure choice of entree from IAD, EWR & ORD as of this writing, by comparison.

Just saw Bradhattan's post. I would call AA to see if they could assist you with your pre-flight entree selection. It appeared everyone received their entree choice on my flights according to the F/A galley conversations.

MrAndy1369 Jan 3, 2023 8:33 pm

Just to clarify, I think serfty was referring to Y on HNL-DFW, not F (given his reference to "main cabin" in his OP). I'm not sure if a meal is served in Y on long-haul Hawaiian routes, but I would assume so. I'll let someone else clarify on that.

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 34889839)

When I researching food/meal availability am seeing seemingly contradictory information.

The AA.com page shows:

Originally Posted by PACLipper (Post 34890195)
From DFW to Hawaii, you are served a multi-course lunch, beginning with warmed nuts and your choice of beverage; salad with your choice of dressing; main course with vegetables (I pre-ordered the Golden Chicken, the worst AA meal ever!); and dessert (choice of cheese with 4 grapes, or a sundae [hot fudge or strawberry]). There should be a pre-arrival meal (protein or fruit plate), but this was not served on AA115 Christmas Eve (there was turbulence,.but there was enough time for a dedicated flight crew to have served it; no apology was offered). The service from Hawaii to DFW is similar, with a "continental breakfast" in lieu of the pre-arrival meal. You have access to the Flagship Lounge prior to and after your Hawaii flight in Terminal D, above Gate 22, and the omelet station is not to be missed. I was disappointed with the lack of a pre-arrival meal. I paid for that with my ticket. Oh well. UA once skipped the pre-arrival meal on a flight from IAD to HNL, and that flight was ten hours plus. AA has raised the ticket cost of its Hawaii Flagship flights considerably, as post-pandemic demand is up. You have a choice of entree within 30 days of your Hawaii flight on aa.com. UA does not offer a pre-departure choice of entree from IAD, EWR & ORD as of this writing, by comparison.

Just saw Bradhattan's post. I would call AA to see if they could assist you with your pre-flight entree selection. It appeared everyone received their entree choice on my flights according to the F/A galley conversations.

PDXPremier Jan 3, 2023 8:55 pm

Has anyone had the "salmon and eggs" show up as a breakfast option? I had that as well as the fruit bowl show up as options on an upcoming PDX-PHX flight. I've seen the same breakfast show up multiple times in the 2022 meal thread but it's always cold so I'm guessing this is the new "hot" meal option?? Although I prefer a hot breakfast like an omelet or some type of egg dish, I went with the fruit bowl since I'm not a fan of any kind of fish with my breakfast....bring back the bacon or sausage!

Flying for Fun Jan 3, 2023 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 34889839)

Originally Posted by PACLipper (Post 34890195)
From DFW to Hawaii, you are served a multi-course lunch, beginning with warmed nuts and your choice of beverage; salad with your choice of dressing; main course with vegetables....

Poster is on an award in Main Cabin.

James

fender5787 Jan 4, 2023 11:26 am

AA1374: MEX-DFW: 8:00am 01/03

Breakfast
Business

Had the chorizo omelette with refried beans and some grilled queso thing. As per the usual of ex-Mex catering, the meals was pretty fantastic. Omelette was stuffed with a copious amount of decently spicy chorizo, the cheese and beans were quite good as well, fruit fresh, and both the roll and cinnamon bun (FA insisted on taking more than one item from the bread basket) were tasty and warm. Other option was French toast albeit they only loaded 3 so was gone by the 2nd row. Good FA with pdb served and drink top ups provided throughout the relatively short flight.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a3733e84d.jpeg

fender5787 Jan 4, 2023 11:34 am

AA613: DFW-EWR: 1:18pm 01/03

Lunch
First

Preordered the “short rib bourguignon with polenta” and again wasn’t disappointed at all with AA’s catering.Though visually it could be improved quite a bit, the beef was tender and quite juicy, sauce had that distinct bourguignon taste and the polenta was actually pretty terrific with the mushrooms and the sauce adding quite a bit of flavor (I must admit I’m quite the polenta fan, and this was pretty well executed). Salad and shrimp appetizer is pretty much the same standard 1300+mi starter. The other options were the cauliflower lasagna, and the standard healthy pre-order only options of the golden chicken/grain bowl. Further, this flight and meal was especially good because of the absolutely fabulous and hilarious F FA who not only created pretry hilarious repetoire with the F cabin and individual pax, but also did a great job providing multiple pdb rounds, always topping off drinks and generally doing a great job. She absolutely deserved kudos and I sent in a note to AA twitter comending her!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fcb294917.jpeg

happiest_at_40000 Jan 4, 2023 2:30 pm

So here is a first, for me at least..... Got to open the tray table and have a meal on PHX-LAX.... Small salad with nice crsip fresh lettuces, red onion, olives & cucumber as well as feta cheese. A nice balsamic vinaigrette as well. Cookie dessert & a packaged roll. This experience is all due to a really awesome FA who I guess sensed I was starving (I had asked for a 2nd round of packaged nuts and if she had the snack basket or even some pretzles). She had neither of those but after seeing me have 3 nuts & 4 biscoffs she comes back with a tray of food that the captain passed on eating and set me up. Place mat, napkin w/ cutlery, the whole nine yards. Probably a first and last time to have a meal on PHX-LAX (although I guess now we know the flight deck does get food on a 55 minute flight). At any rate, this FA was super nice and proactive even on a short flight and obviously went out of her way to bring me food how she did.

I have to say overall my experience with the FA's is generally good and often you get an awesome one. I find the lounge agents far worse and the gate agents even worse than the lounge agents.

PDXPremier Jan 4, 2023 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000 (Post 34892951)
So here is a first, for me at least..... Got to open the tray table and have a meal on PHX-LAX.... Small salad with nice crsip fresh lettuces, red onion, olives & cucumber as well as feta cheese. A nice balsamic vinaigrette as well. Cookie dessert & a packaged roll. This experience is all due to a really awesome FA who I guess sensed I was starving (I had asked for a 2nd round of packaged nuts and if she had the snack basket or even some pretzles). She had neither of those but after seeing me have 3 nuts & 4 biscoffs she comes back with a tray of food that the captain passed on eating and set me up. Place mat, napkin w/ cutlery, the whole nine yards. Probably a first and last time to have a meal on PHX-LAX (although I guess now we know the flight deck does get food on a 55 minute flight). At any rate, this FA was super nice and proactive even on a short flight and obviously went out of her way to bring me food how she did.

I have to say overall my experience with the FA's is generally good and often you get an awesome one. I find the lounge agents far worse and the gate agents even worse than the lounge agents.

That's not even remotely close to 900 miles...hard to believe that was catered for a flight that short--are you sure you didn't get the leftovers from the previous flight or the pre-catering for the next flight? LOL I thought I remember reading something on the AS forum once where the FA on a red-eye accidentally served the breakfast that was catered for the return.

happiest_at_40000 Jan 4, 2023 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 34892958)
That's not even remotely close to 900 miles...hard to believe that was catered for a flight that short--are you sure you didn't get the leftovers from the previous flight or the pre-catering for the next flight? LOL I thought I remember reading something on the AS forum once where the FA on a red-eye accidentally served the breakfast that was catered for the return.

Maybe the 900 miles thing doesnt apply for the pilots though I dont know really. I'm near certain it was just a meal for the pilot for that PHX-LAX flight and since he declined it she figured to ask if I wanted it. I dont believe it would have been a meal for the next flight on that plane as pretty sure that plane turned right around for LAX-PHX or in fact maybe sat at LAX til the morning as I arrived in the evening.

Interestingly, she asked if I wanted chicken to put on the salad, which even more surprised me. But again I think this is what AA does for the pilots maybe even on a 55 minute air time flight.

golfer20 Jan 4, 2023 8:18 pm

Have the misfortune of flying the PHX - PHL redeye soon (AA 1311). Should I expect any food / service in F?

TWA884 Jan 4, 2023 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000 (Post 34893452)
Maybe the 900 miles thing doesnt apply for the pilots though I dont know really. I'm near certain it was just a meal for the pilot for that PHX-LAX flight and since he declined it she figured to ask if I wanted it.

You didn't write what time of day it was and we don't how long the pilot had been and was going to remain on duty that day.