Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Taking a family of nine to London on AA via BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Friends,

Question--I'm an AA Platinum Pro, flying almost exclusively domestically... but after many years I'm hoping to take my family of nine from IAD-LHR next year, but struggling to wrap my mind around how AA status maps on to flights operated by British Airways.

Questions:
* The Basic Economy fares are about $160 less expensive ($1,500 across the family). Will my AA status still let me bring free checked bags on the flight if I pick basic economy?
* Likewise, normally the status would let me pick seats but since it's operated by British Airways and there is no AA-based seat selector I guess that doesn't apply? If I call British Airways and ask about setting up seats we're possibly going to struggle to get seats together, whereas if it was an AA-operated flight the status would allow us to sit together and possibly in better seats--is that right?
* Platinum Pro status gives OneWorld emerald, which would normally mean access to the British Airways lounge... but are they really going to let me bring seven sweet and adorable kids in there?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:39 pm

not sure if you can book all 9 on one reservation. You might qualify for a group rate.

You as emerald would get to choose seats for you and those on your reservation.

I believe the number of guests is limited to the lounge.

You might check on the BA board
becks1 and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:45 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
You will not receive status-based free checked bags (for anyone) if you book BA-marketed or BA-operated basic economy.

BA offers free seat selection at booking for oneworld Sapphire and oneworld Emerald partner elites. I believe that if you are a oneworld Emerald specifically, you can call in and obtain free seat selection for those on other reservations (BA calls this "to complete party" or TCP). You may also wish to inquire with BA or with a travel agent about group booking rates, since BA notes that for "groups of more than 9 people" (not obvious if 9 qualifies or it has to be 10+) "we will allocate your seats free of charge", and you may get a better rate on the fare.

Lounge access is only for you and one guest.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

clpjohn Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by clpjohn
Question--I'm an AA Platinum Pro, flying almost exclusively domestically... but after many years I'm hoping to take my family of nine from IAD-LHR next year, but struggling to wrap my mind around how AA status maps on to flights operated by British Airways.

Questions:
* The Basic Economy fares are about $160 less expensive ($1,500 across the family). Will my AA status still let me bring free checked bags on the flight if I pick basic economy?
* Likewise, normally the status would let me pick seats but since it's operated by British Airways and there is no AA-based seat selector I guess that doesn't apply? If I call British Airways and ask about setting up seats we're possibly going to struggle to get seats together, whereas if it was an AA-operated flight the status would allow us to sit together and possibly in better seats--is that right?
* Platinum Pro status gives OneWorld emerald, which would normally mean access to the British Airways lounge... but are they really going to let me bring seven sweet and adorable kids in there?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help.
Basic Economy fares are/can be complicated as to status benefits. Depends on many things.
A good guide in the BA forum-->Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares
Look at the graphics in post 1

AA forum master thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Unless has mid-top status BA charge for seat selection. Even for business class.
When closer to departure date can chose at no extra cost, but by then most desirable seats - adjoining seats allocated to others.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 30, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:53 pm

Do not get hung up on your status. For best value you need to ignore your status and go get group travel bids from AA and BA and others. You will get much better terms and conditions like the ability to swap out a passenger who gets sick and can not travel with your group with another pax.

Last edited by Centurion; Dec 30, 2022 at 4:46 pm
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VFR
You will not receive status-based free checked bags (for anyone) if you book BA-marketed or BA-operated basic economy.

BA offers free seat selection at booking for oneworld Sapphire and oneworld Emerald partner elites. I believe that if you are a oneworld Emerald specifically, you can call in and obtain free seat selection for those on other reservations (BA calls this "to complete party" or TCP). You may also wish to inquire with BA or with a travel agent about group booking rates, since BA notes that for "groups of more than 9 people" (not obvious if 9 qualifies or it has to be 10+) "we will allocate your seats free of charge", and you may get a better rate on the fare.

Lounge access is only for you and one guest.
9 is the largest non group booking size. at 10 or more, then it needs to be a group booking. If there are 10 people travelling, then a group booking is the way to go - much nicer booking conditions for groups
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
You might qualify for a group rate.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
9 is the largest non group booking size. at 10 or more, then it needs to be a group booking. If there are 10 people travelling, then a group booking is the way to go - much nicer booking conditions for groups
Hi friends, thanks for the help.

So it sounds like:
* I should cancel the tickets I just booked and
* try to see if they'll extend group rates to a group of nine, even though it's one under the minimum of 10 for a group.
* This should run through both the AA and the BA group booking websites
* If that doesn't work, I should decide whether to stick with the basic economy. The only reason I'd pay for anything higher is because we'd have checked luggage, but as long as I can *pay* for bags I can't imagine it will add up to the $1,500 difference between basic economy and standard economy. The kids can get by with backpacks so we would only need to check 1-2 bags for all of us... maybe we'd buy just one regular ticket and add it to the rest in basic economy?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by enviroian
Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
You might qualify for a group rate.
Not a joke. Just add 1 more. See here.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Not a joke. Just add 1 more. See here.
If OP is paying, I'll tag along.
njvandy and S80 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clpjohn
Hi friends, thanks for the help.

So it sounds like:
* I should cancel the tickets I just booked and
* try to see if they'll extend group rates to a group of nine, even though it's one under the minimum of 10 for a group.!
If you only have 9 passengers then no point trying for group rates - 10 is the minimum group size for economy class with BA

If you might be able to get a 10th person, then would be worth getting a quote
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:04 pm

For 7 sweet and adorable kids I’d be looking for a nanny/child wrangler to bring along to complete your 10.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:57 pm

Just make sure you don't forget Kevin.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
BA tends to be fairly strict re/ lounge guesting. Members of the BA forum often have reported challenges to guest more than 1 person, even when its the own child additionally to their wife... but I guess you would have issues with any airline.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Duck1981
BA tends to be fairly strict re/ lounge guesting. Members of the BA forum often have reported challenges to guest more than 1 person, even when its the own child additionally to their wife... but I guess you would have issues with any airline.
Not with "any" airline. Some do allow more than one guest, if your own children under18. Not BA though
Duck1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.