Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgraded At The Gate (exp) / Denied Seat ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Interesting one....

Currently on a flight on Y class ticket. EXP flyer. A passenger from first class was removed from their seat after vaping in the lavatory while the flight was till boarding (this still happens!??!)

I was next on the upgrade list. Recieved a notification in the app that was upgraded to first class / vape guys seat.

Great! Went up, showed up app, notification etc to the flight attendants. They told me "sorry we were told that the seat would remain empty"

I politely asked them to check their app / records and they later confirmed that it was my seat and I was indeed upgradee BUTTTT there was AA flight staff currently sitting in the seat and there is nothing they can do now.

It was a complimentary upgrade so not loosing my mind. But worth complaining about? Seems like maybe at least some miles should be deposited?

Curious what other flyers think!
cscasi and rt23456p like this.

Last edited by sky_throwaway; Dec 26, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Yes complain, AA thinks you are in that seat. Not the crew.
Spiff, SK, Redhead and 28 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
It sounds like you were upgraded to F and the FAs chose to give your seat to an employee instead. That's wrong and you should definitely submit a complaint. The circumstances about how they seat became available for your upgrade are irrelevant. I would write a short note on the web form that just says you were upgraded and the FA gave your seat to an employee instead. You should get a few miles for it.
Markie, Spiff, SK and 25 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njvandy
It sounds like you were upgraded to F and the FAs chose to give your seat to an employee instead. That's wrong and you should definitely submit a complaint.
A different flight attendant just came up to me and confirmed that was exactly what happened and suggested I write a letter while in the air.

My record locator also oddly changed since we have taken off. Can't recall that happening on previous upgrades
Markie, Spiff, SK and 5 others like this.

Last edited by sky_throwaway; Dec 26, 2022 at 12:18 pm
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Please let us know what the response is from AA.
Spiff, SK, Redhead and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
After my little incident last year, the advice from everyone here on FT was spot-on: send the email to Corporate, not CS.

I sent an email to Vincent Carcaterra (Director-Customer Relations), and, received a phone call within 24 hours. It was pretty amazing.

All the best, James
Spiff, SK, Redhead and 20 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fdog
I sent an email to Vincent Carcaterra (Director-Customer Relations), and, received a phone call within 24 hours. It was pretty amazing.
Super pro tip. Thank you ! Reached out to him didect
cscasi likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Didn't AA announce last year that they'd suspend/fire employees for doing things like this?

Hope it was worth it for whatever FA. Once less bad apple on the seniority list.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
I was next on the upgrade list. Recieved a notification in the app that was upgraded to first class / vape guys seat.

Great! Went up, showed up app, notification etc to the flight attendants. They told me "sorry we were told that the seat would remain empty"
Definitely worth complaining about.

Been a while since I've gotten an "upgrade" notification after boarding on AA, but does boarding pass not get updated when this occurs?
cscasi likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
A passenger from first class was removed from their seat after vaping in the lavatory while the flight was till boarding
Ridiculous over reaction to a zero-danger situation IMO.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econ
but does boarding pass not get updated when this occurs?
Boarding pass was updated. Was stold I could not take the seat as it was occupied (by AA staff) and it was supposed to be left empty for them

Last edited by sky_throwaway; Dec 26, 2022 at 1:55 pm
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Ridiculous over reaction to a zero-danger situation IMO.
Perfectly good reaction to a ridiculous passenger.
jordyn, renila, Tanic and 28 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Just deplaned and on the bridge a FA ran up to me. They privately told me to write a letter TODAY and let me know at no point was my seat assigned to any staff person. It was my seat but "the person in charge" didn't want to ask the AA staff to leave my seat.

They ended with "they stole your seat and you should be mad - they can be fired for this"
Spiff, SK, rmc1 and 27 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just deplaned and on the bridge a FA ran up to me. They privately told me to write a letter TODAY and let me know at no point was my seat assigned to any staff person. It was my seat but "the person in charge" didn't want to ask the AA staff to leave my seat.

They ended with "they stole your seat and you should be mad - they can be fired for this"
what? I don’t understand what the AA employee was trying to tell you. Sounds like obvious knowledge what happened to you wasn’t SOP. Take a name and report it. The person who authorized an employee to take the seat on first class that was rightfully upgraded to you doesn’t need a slap on the wrist nor “re-training”. He/she needs termination.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK

Sounds like infighting among FAs with "Purser" trying to protect seat for employee/friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.