Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Alaska segment on AA ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Missed Alaska segment on AA ticket

I'm on an American ticket BUD-HNL HNL-MIA MIA-BUD. I missed the Alaska segment from HNL to LAX. Alaska told me that since American is the "ticket owner", they have to rebook me. American told me that Alaska has to rebook me. Wait times are 5 hours to talk to Alaska and 2 hours to talk to American.

So I'm stuck on Honolulu (there are worse things!), but I'm concerned that if I just buy another ticket from HNL to MIA, I'll lose the MIA-BUD portion.

Any advice?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:12 pm

You did not indicate how much time occurred on your missed flight. It matters.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

I presented myself for check-in 31 minutes before the scheduled departure time, which was today at 4:21 pm. It is now 5:25 pm. But it's unclear to me that either agent put a note in "the system" so that I can prove that. I missed the flight because I had a separate ticket, Hilo to Honolulu, scheduled to arrive at 11:50 am, and it got delayed by about 3.5 hours. But that was a separate ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mhaines94108
I presented myself for check-in 31 minutes before the scheduled departure time, which was today at 4:21 pm. It is now 5:25 pm. But it's unclear to me that either agent put a note in "the system" so that I can prove that. I missed the flight because I had a separate ticket, Hilo to Honolulu, scheduled to arrive at 11:50 am, and it got delayed by about 3.5 hours. But that was a separate ticket.
Call AA and take the call-back option if offered. Then, wait by your phone.

You might have a shorter wait time by phoning one of AA's foreign-language lines that are still open. (All AA agents speak English.) Foreign-language numbers here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...et-changes.jsp

Or visit the AA ticket counter at HNL tonight.

Sorry for your misfortune.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
At the ticket counter or the gate?

They wanted you to be there at some time more than 31 minutes?

They gave you what reason for not boarding you?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:42 pm

The separate ticket is the problem here. On a single ticket the carrier causing the misconnection is responsible for rebooking. AS cant help you here, they aren't going to take on the financial responsibility of buying you a new ticket on AA because you were late for their flight.

AA may help you,, but they are not required to do much for a missed flight.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

I presented myself at the ticket counter 31 minutes before the scheduled departure. They said they couldn't check me in because it was less than 40 minutes before departure.

I understand I'm going to have to pay some money here, and this is my fault and not American's. My main concern is to not lose the MIA-BUD portion in January. At this point I want to do whatever will get me to MIA now, and then be able to do the MIA-BUD portion.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayer
At the ticket counter or the gate?

They wanted you to be there at some time more than 31 minutes?

They gave you what reason for not boarding you?
The AS check-in deadline at HNL -- with or without checked baggage -- is 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure time.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presented myself at the ticket counter 31 minutes before the scheduled departure. They said they couldn't check me in because it was less than 40 minutes before departure.

I understand I'm going to have to pay some money here, and this is my fault and not American's. My main concern is to not lose the MIA-BUD portion in January. At this point I want to do whatever will get me to MIA now, and then be able to do the MIA-BUD portion.
Is the problem that you had checked baggage? AS offers online check-in starting at 24 hours before scheduled departure time.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

No, the problem was not checked baggage. I only had carry-on. The flight from Hilo landed, I was the first person off the plane, and I ran the entire distance from the gate in Terminal 1 to the Alaska check-in desk at Terminal 2. But there just wasn't time.

I think the constraints are:

1) you can't get ahold of Alaskan right now due to the snow storm.
2) I want to preserve the MIA-BUD portion
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
AS also requires passengers to be checked in and at the gate with a boarding pass 30 minutes before departure.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...boarding-times

AS probably is not going to help. AA might provide some assistance by protecting his LAX-MIA and/or MIA-BUD flights or moving them to another day. The OP will probably have to purchase a new HNL-LAX or HNL-MIA ticket and hope that he gets a nice AA agent to help.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:03 pm

No, the problem was not checked baggage. I only had carry-on. The flight from Hilo landed, I was the first person off the plane, and I ran the entire distance from the gate in Terminal 1 to the Alaska check-in desk at Terminal 2. But there just wasn't time.

It's not AS you need to talk to since it is an AA ticket. AS can't do anything for you about your MIA-BUD segment.

I know not helpful now, but why did you need to go to the "ticket counter" if you didn't have any checked bags?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So why didn't you check in online before you left Hilo -- especially once you realized that your ITO-HNL flight was delayed?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears that AS866 actually departed HNL an hour late today for LAX:

Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the flight has now departed , then you are a no-show for the flight and it will depend on the fare rules of the ticket as to what AA will be able to do for you

It doesn'r matter that your other flight was late - by booking separate tickets, you become solely responsible to be at the airport in time for the flight. If you had made a through booking, then you would have been protected

Looking at the fare rules for some cheap economy fares from BUD-HNL r/t the one checked in B class is changeable for a EUR150 fee except in case of No Show where they are then no longer changeable. these are non refundable. The O fare is changeable for no fee but again is non changeable in case on No Show

If this was a discount economy fare, then given the situation, you may be out of luck as far as the ticket goes. Do you have travel insurance that would cover this situation?

Hindsight is always very good, but it would have been a good idea to rebook the HNL-LAX flight once you realised that there was going to be a delay to the flight to HNL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.