checking the smaller carry on bag

Old Dec 17, 2022, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
checking the smaller carry on bag

Since I usually travel for business, I have a large bag with my business stuff and a potentially carry on bag with my day to day stuff.

As a gold and credit card holder, I get 1 free bag - My large bag.

I attempt to check my carry on bag at the ticket counter in for no charge and have been denied. I always check my second bag at the gate for no charge. Why can't I just check the second bag at the ticket counter?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
can you clarify :
1. They would not let you check 2 bags at the check-in counter
or
2. The 2nd bag would have had a fee associated with the process
Old Dec 17, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lougord99
I attempt to check my carry on bag at the ticket counter in for no charge and have been denied. I always check my second bag at the gate for no charge. Why can't I just check the second bag at the ticket counter?
Bad process. Technically, you are only allowed one free bag to be checked in, but since AA doesn't enforce sizes or anything, they run out of space on every flight. As a result, they allow people to gate check for free.

If AA actually enforced bag sizes to something reasonable vs letting anything and everything on, they wouldn't need to allow free gate checking.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Is your "large" bag within the carry-on size limits? If not, I'd think they won't let you through security with it and wouldn't let you check it at the gate for free, but I don't have firsthand experience with this because I've never tried it.

Is your small bag within the size limits to fit under the seat in front of you?

I can imagine refusing to check something at the counter if it's so small that it might get lost in the press of loading/unloading luggage, but not a normally-formed piece of luggage that's not tiny.

I think you need to provide more details.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
If I'm reading this correctly, you're definitely checking the larger bag at the ticket counter, but you also want to check the second bag, which is of a size allowed as a carry-on. Since you're entitled to only one free check bag, this is no surprise.

As already said, when they allow you to check the second bag at the gate, it's because there's likely to be insufficient space in the passenger compartment. This is at the discretion of gate agents, not ticket agents. If it's known when you're at the ticket counter that the flight will be that full, it would make sense for them to allow checking it then, but I don't think they will ever have that discretion.

BTW, it's a common complaint that passengers are forced by gate agents to check bags that are allowed as carry-ons.

For an upcoming international flight where I'm allowed to check two bags, I plan to check one that is too large to carry aboard anyway, and one that could be carried, taking a third, yet smaller, personal bag aboard with me. I'll be returning by ship and will be allowed only one checked bag on the domestic itinerary back to my departure airport, but for that I'll carry bag #2 plus the personal item.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I did not write that post very well. I check a large bag for free, and as long as I am checking a bag I would like to check my smaller, carry on sized bag, for free also. I guess this was more of a rant than a question. It's against the rules and they are not going to allow it. However, I have never been denied the free check at the gate. It would just be nice not to fool with the smaller bag going through TSA.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
I did not write that post very well. I check a large bag for free, and as long as I am checking a bag I would like to check my smaller, carry on sized bag, for free also. I guess this was more of a rant than a question. It's against the rules and they are not going to allow it. However, I have never been denied the free check at the gate. It would just be nice not to fool with the smaller bag going through TSA.
when AA allows people to check a bag for free at the gate, it’s not because it’s a passenger benefit - it’s an operational decision made by the gate agent, and they won’t make that same decision for every flight (although it does happen frequently).
bethyy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’re certainly able to check the second bag at the ticket counter. But they are going to charge you for the benefit of not having to schlep it through TSA, unless you’re on a fare of have a status that allows more than one checked bag.
ksucats likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Since I usually travel for business, I have a large bag with my business stuff and a potentially carry on bag with my day to day stuff.

As a gold and credit card holder, I get 1 free bag - My large bag.

It is a bit of a silly game, AA will let you check your carry on size bag for free at the gate 99% of the time, but won't let you check it in during luggage check.

Honestly your best option if you are gold is to see if you can work you way up to platinum under the new rules, that will get you 2 checked bags. Otherwise, you just have to keep playing the game.
ksucats and lougord99 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:47 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
You can certainly take a larger than carry on size bag through TSA and then have it gate checked. TSA is generally not enforcing airline carry on restrictions. The reason for this is sometimes because people are missing the cutoff time for bag check in. Perhaps it varies by airport, but I've done it and I know of others who have done it in a pinch as well.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
You can certainly take a larger than carry on size bag through TSA and then have it gate checked. TSA is generally not enforcing airline carry on restrictions. The reason for this is sometimes because people are missing the cutoff time for bag check in. Perhaps it varies by airport, but I've done it and I know of others who have done it in a pinch as well.
Well the bag has to physically fit through the screening machines, so it's not like there's unlimited flexibility. Also, there's a non-zero chance the gate agent will in fact charge for a bag that wouldn't be permitted as a carry-on, as they should IMHO. (It's fine to let someone through who misses the cut-off, but the last thing we need is a loophole for people to avoid checked bag fees that just clogs up TSA.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.