Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Wasn't able to stand by but not sure what rules were relevant.

Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Curious to unpack this one for future reference.

Scenario: Flying BOS-LGA on an AA flight number operated by Jetblue, finish my meetings early and arrive at Logan with about 3 hours to spare

Weather starts to deteriorate and there are rolling delays. I have my eye on an AA flight (a regional) flying BOS-JFK that's leaving in about an hour. It's full but I'm EP with over 500k LP's so figure I'd have at least a shot if someone no-shows.

From a glance at the rules it looks like I can't stand by on any of the earlier Jetblue flights, but I figure this one should be possible, so I trek over to the admirals club.

Despite about three agents trying to figure it out they just can't get the computer to add me to the stand by list no matter what they do. They also can't figure out why the computer won't let them.

The two ideas that get floated are:

1) Since I'm "on a Jetblue flight" I can't stand by on an AA flight, even though I have an AA ticket and an AA flight number

2) Since my ticket is to LGA there's no way for me to go standby to JFK, a different airport/routing

Are either of those correct? Both? Other mysterious forces at work?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
My guess it the computer was throwing up on the B6->AA flight issue. But I really don't know. AA's SDC/standby tech is really messed up. Did you try going to the gate of the earlier flight? They should have been able to do it there.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
My guess it the computer was throwing up on the B6->AA flight issue. But I really don't know. AA's SDC/standby tech is really messed up. Did you try going to the gate of the earlier flight? They should have been able to do it there.
If I ever have the need, you can standby to a different destination? Special rules for LGA and JFK?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by jagoffee
If I ever have the need, you can standby to a different destination? Special rules for LGA and JFK?
I think you can standby for co-terminals, or whatever they're called. Two airports in the same city. But I'm not sure. The rules always seem to be in flux, as are the definitions of co-terminals. For instance, EWR is rightfully no longer considered NYC. All that said, at the gate for the flight you want, you're likely to get the best outcome possible.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
It is a systems issue. A very similar situation happened to me this spring going from BOS to DCA. AA flight / metal gets cancelled. App gives me B6 as an option, but when I went to execute, it glitched out. I was on the flight, but it wasn't ticketed. The phones were jammed so I headed to the airport and went to the B6 counter (this is before B and C were connected). B6 agents saw me on the flight, but because the technology isnt integrated, they couldnt make it happen. I ended up buying the walk up fare (which was less than my AA flight!).

I think you can standby for co-terminals, or whatever they're called. Two airports in the same city. But I'm not sure. The rules always seem to be in flux, as are the definitions of co-terminals. For instance, EWR is rightfully no longer considered NYC. All that said, at the gate for the flight you want, you're likely to get the best outcome possible.
Yeah I think you can. An agent should be able to do it if the app is messed up. Most agents also take the mindset of trying to get people where they need to go.

Totally agree the gate for the departing flight can make things happen that the club cannot do (especially across airlines). In my situation, once I cleared TSA I went to a flight that was five hours delayed and the B6 agent was immediately able to clear me into it / get me an EMS seat. The B6 help desk was unable to do it.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jagoffee
The pertinent aa.com page says no:

"Same-day travelChange your flightChange of plans? We allow same-day confirmed changes on select flights for a fee, with some exceptions. Customers can stand by for a flight at no charge. RulesYour new flight must: Depart on the same day, from and to the same airports, as your original flightHave the same number of stops, in the same airports, as your original flightBe operated by American Airlines or American Eagle"

Source:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

(Different rules apply in IROPS situations.)
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
The pertinent aa.com page says no:

"Same-day travelChange your flightChange of plans? We allow same-day confirmed changes on select flights for a fee, with some exceptions. Customers can stand by for a flight at no charge. RulesYour new flight must: Depart on the same day, from and to the same airports, as your original flightHave the same number of stops, in the same airports, as your original flightBe operated by American Airlines or American Eagle"

Source:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

(Different rules apply in IROPS situations.)
Right but AA.com has a lot of pages on it. Including this one:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/ag...dom-coterm.jsp

One of the agents was sure that was the reason it wasnt working and the other was adamant that couldnt be it since the two airports are co-terminals that AA effectively considers the same airport for constructing fares and tickets.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales

One of the agents was sure that was the reason it wasn’t working and the other was adamant that couldn’t be it since the two airports are co-terminals that AA effectively considers the same airport for constructing fares and tickets.
But not for standbys. That being said, if the delay was getting excessive, why didn't they process this as an involuntary reroute? That seems like it would have worked as then many of these rules are no longer applicable.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales

One of the agents was sure that was the reason it wasnt working and the other was adamant that couldnt be it since the two airports are co-terminals that AA effectively considers the same airport for constructing fares and tickets.
Co-terminals are considered the same city, but not the same airport. Before AA eliminated cancellation and change fees on award travel, AA would charge $150 to change an award destination from LGA to JFK. But no fee was charged for changing dates or flights between the same two airports.

AA could have said that you can stand by for a flight to the same city. They didn't.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.