Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA International Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Question AA International Flights

Why does American Airlines have a lot less international flights than United and Delta?
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:26 pm

Partly strategy and the other part is the lack of planes capable of doing long haul flights. With the retirement during covid of the 757's, 767's, A330's and the delay of the 787s they were supposed to get they are a little hamstrung in the number of routes they can fly internationally. You'll see them add more routes in the next few years when they receive the first batch of A321XLR's and the additional 787's they have on order.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Extraordinary1
Why does American Airlines have a lot less international flights than United and Delta?
I'm not sure that that's true.
I couldn't find data supporting number of international flights by airline, but according to TPG/OAG, AA serves about as many international destinations as UA and about 50% more than DL.
Of course, focus is in different areas, with AA having a strong focus on central and south America.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
In the mean time, we are stuck with BA I& LHR).

Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Without going in and counting, I think AA has a lot more Int'l routes down to Latin America. However, the others have more to Asia/Europe/Africa.
arollins likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
On transatlantic, AA is definitely in third place - probably about 75% of the total daily departures that Delta flies.

According to A.net, here is next summer's weekly transatlantic departure count:

"Looks like AA will be operating 458 (416 this summer + 42 additions) peak weekly TATL flights next summer. Quite impressive, although DL will be at 626 (for now) and UA will be at 735."
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Dec 16, 2022 at 5:37 am
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Extraordinary1
Does it matter? If they do have fewer international flights then they have taken the view then it's not worth operating them.

UA and DL can take their own decisions.
BlooJoo and roberto99 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
It also has to do with mergers over the last 15 years. UA and CO separately both had decent international networks pre-merger. NW was a significant player TPAC pre-merger, and DL was strong TATL. Pre-merger AA was fairly strong to Europe and Latin America, pretty thin to Asia. But US was much more focused on the domestic market relative to the other pre-merger players. I'd also be interested to see the the numbers since the discrepancy may not be as large as it seems but I think it comes down to AA merged with a much more US-focused airline than the other two majors did. Perhaps since then, AA is more conservative in deciding on new destinations.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Because of the joint venture with BA and IB, AA doesn't feel the need to send as much AA metal across the pond to LHR. As far as AA is concerned, flying BA and IB is just as good.
aj411 and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:41 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Because of the joint venture with BA and IB, AA doesn't feel the need to send as much AA metal across the pond to LHR. As far as AA is concerned, flying BA and IB is just as good.
Due to a delay we got switched from an AA 772 to a BA A350 LHR-PHX last month and it was a beautiful plane and experience!
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Does it matter? If they do have fewer international flights then they have taken the view then it's not worth operating them.

UA and DL can take their own decisions.
I would assume it mattered or they wouldn't be asking lol.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I fly to Asia often and find it hard to find flights via AA and OW. UA and *A has a lot more flights though.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
AA/OW are not the strongest to Asia - you have JAL and Cathay and thats pretty much it. Oh - Malaysian. But its hard to tell if they are alive or not these days. Compared to Star which has Asiana, All Nippon, Singapore, Air China, Thai, and Eva.
becks1 and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA coverage to the UK and EU sucks.
arollins and roberto99 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

I can understand why AA does not have many flights to Europe: they have BA and IB; however, AA's coverage of Asia is absolute trash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.