Is EP worth a $200 bank fee over PP?

Old Dec 7, 22, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Is EP worth a $200 bank fee over PP?

I am a Platinum Pro member and I have the regular ($99/year) CitiBank AAdvantage card. I have a couple of large payments (~$10k combined) coming up that I can run through the card and the loyalty points from that will push me into Executive Platinum. The problem is that the charge is subject to a fee of about $200 if I pay it by credit card. Is EP worth the $200 over what I get from PP?
Old Dec 7, 22, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I would say yes, that $200 gets redeemable miles as well and EXP gets upgrade eligibility on award tickets. I am debating the Plat versus Plat Pro stretch myself, that one seems less clear cut.
Old Dec 7, 22, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, AA EXP, DL PM
Yes, assuming you fly AA with any regularity. Shorter call times, better IRROPS support, and, if you hit 30 segments this year, loyalty choice awards which would easily offset the $200 fee (arguably several times over).

If you only fly non-AA oneworld airlines, it's a closer call since you're already OW emerald, but I'd probably still go for it - if nothing else, for the elite status bonus earnings.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 7, 22, 1:23 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
For $200 you'll get:
  • 10,000 redeemable AAdvantage miles
  • 22% more LP for flying
  • 2 additional choice benefits if you have 30 segments
  • Higher priority for domestic upgrades
Those are the easy ones, depending how much you use each benefit is how valuable it is to you, but hard to imagine those four things alone would not easily add up to $200 unless you don't plan on flying AA and won't get benefit from anything beyond the 10,000 redeemable miles.
Old Dec 7, 22, 1:32 pm

I would do it for $200
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 7, 22, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Slam dunk for me as well.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 7, 22, 1:35 pm

Also slam dunk.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 7, 22, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Im 75K from ExPlat this year and debating if its worth it, probably NOT with the rest of my travel and spending plans through February. But if someone said I could do it for $200, HECK YES.
Old Dec 7, 22, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would say if you have the 30 segments and are not located at a hub, then yes....otherwise not sure if it's worth it.
Old Dec 7, 22, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eric_n_dfw
I am a Platinum Pro member and I have the regular ($99/year) CitiBank AAdvantage card. I have a couple of large payments (~$10k combined) coming up that I can run through the card and the loyalty points from that will push me into Executive Platinum. The problem is that the charge is subject to a fee of about $200 if I pay it by credit card. Is EP worth the $200 over what I get from PP?
yes. Being able to upgrade award tickets as an EXP is worth far more than $200.
Old Dec 7, 22, 7:12 pm

In my experience the EP service desk is absolutely incredible. I rarely wait on hold and they seem to have latitude to make things happen that other agents can't (confirming business class SWU's when there is no C fare available, for example). For $200, that's an absolute yes.
Old Dec 7, 22, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
yes. Being able to upgrade award tickets as an EXP is worth far more than $200.
Isn't it only for domestic? Never really really use miles for domestic flights
Old Dec 7, 22, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I would say yes, that $200 gets redeemable miles as well and EXP gets upgrade eligibility on award tickets. I am debating the Plat versus Plat Pro stretch myself, that one seems less clear cut.
If you travel internationally oneworld Emerald has some meaningful benefits over Sapphire - better lounges, easier checkin (BA First Wing/etc.). To me, thats the main advantage of Plat Pro over Plat.
Old Dec 8, 22, 4:11 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm super-happy as an EXP, which I never was prior to just before the pandemic hit. The major benefit for me is upgrades, and I'm about 75% this year as a low-LP EXP. Especially with the increasing gap between the prices of Y and F tickets.
Old Dec 8, 22, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Definitely worth it, EXP has been a great experience when dealing with IRROPs over this past year, especially during the June meltdown for airlines in general. Upgrades are nearly 100% for me based out of OMA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.