FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Upgrades to MEX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2102809-upgrades-mex.html)

tfizzle Dec 2, 2022 9:20 pm

Upgrades to MEX

i'm curious about MEX upgrades. Since it is degraded via lounge access for PP and EP, and it usually requires a SWU to get upgraded. Do they ever upgrade PP and EP elites as a matter of courtesy?

jef787 Dec 2, 2022 10:52 pm

Flights from the US to Mexico qualify for complimentary upgrades. In my experience, it rarely requires an SWU to secure an upgrade from DFW to MEX, though its certainly tougher to secure one if the flight's operated by an A319 as those only have 8 F seats.

Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...y-upgrades.jsp

BlooJoo Dec 3, 2022 8:37 am

MEX is not a SWU destination, it's "domestic." The lounge access exception is separate. That said, upgrades to/from MEX can be very hard. I live here, and can often not even buy full J a week in advance. For whatever reason, the ~7pm DFW-MEX is probably your best bet at an upgrade. Since CLT/PHX/LAX are once per day with small J cabins, chances are very low. The new JFK flight is at such bad times, it might be a decent upgrade flight.

tfizzle Dec 3, 2022 9:05 am

Thank you both.

Catbert10 Dec 3, 2022 9:30 am

Is MEX lounge access degraded? I thought it was given AC access, not FL. The AC access was an upgrade from other Mexico destinations.

Antarius Dec 3, 2022 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Catbert10 (Post 34803940)
Is MEX lounge access degraded? I thought it was given AC access, not FL. The AC access was an upgrade from other Mexico destinations.

It used to be FL eligible until a year or 2 ago. Then it became AC only along with the near south America routes (Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname and Venezuela).

However, all international routes got AC access in April 2021 in J. So MEX is just like any other airport in Mexico, Caribbean etc.

Catbert10 Dec 3, 2022 9:44 am

Humphh. I flew to MEX a couple of times just before COVID and the access changes and used the AC instead of the FL not knowing any better.

BlooJoo Dec 3, 2022 10:06 am

So, to MEX:
  • J, no status, AC
  • EXP would be FL (because it's OW "non-North American itin")
I think that's right?

asnovici Dec 3, 2022 10:21 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo (Post 34804021)
So, to MEX:
  • J, no status, AC
  • EXP would be FL (because it's OW "non-North American itin")
I think that's right?

No, its AC either way. MEX is North America in the AA world.

BlooJoo Dec 3, 2022 10:26 am

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 34804054)

Weird, they are more restrictive than the non-AA OW lounges, but I guess there's "consistency" there.

fender5787 Dec 3, 2022 11:49 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo (Post 34803847)
The new JFK flight is at such bad times, it might be a decent upgrade flight.

I’ve taken AA2995 (JFK-MEX) twice and I can confidently say nearly half the pax in the J cabin both times were non-revs, so I’d wager getting an upgrade on that route wouldn’t be too tough. I haven’t taken 2996, due to the god awful timing, but I’d imagine it to be even easier.

Antarius Dec 3, 2022 12:04 pm

MEX is North America in general ;)

asnovici Dec 3, 2022 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34804276)
MEX is North America in general ;)

Agree!

PurpleMonkey Dec 3, 2022 5:25 pm

AC or non-Flagship OW lounges (Alaska, Qantas, BA, etc), actually.

MEX is still considered an exception to AAdvantage North America OW lounge access rules. While Flagship lounges now exclude MEX, you can still access other non-Flagship OW lounges with your class of service or AAdvantage status.

From https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
"American Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for access to oneworld member airline lounge when travelling solely on North American flights between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean."

thunderdeacon Dec 3, 2022 6:40 pm

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've never missed an upgrade DFW-MEX-DFW as a platinum pro. All of my flights have been on 737. I've been in Platinum Pro since 2019, and I take three round trips per year.