Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What if AA gave people 100 miles for boarding in group 9?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist

I know 100 miles is negligible, but just finding gate crowding to be a safety issue, especially at old ORD. I'm petty, and I do look at people's boarding passes to see the group, and I'm sorry if you're 8 or 9 you need to not be standing near the rope entrance, maybe at least 5 feet back. AA clearly backed down from any punitive measures as they generate conflict, so maybe they can try some positive reinforcement. Thoughts?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Don't they already get some incentive, i.e., a cheap ticket by buying Basic Economy? :-)

In all seriousness, if they could somehow train folks like they do at Southwest, it might work better. Everyone flying Southwest seems to know the drill and there's not the same level of chaos at AA gates.
lougord99, Uzzar and dls25 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Don't they already get some incentive, i.e., a cheap ticket by buying Basic Economy? :-)

In all seriousness, if they could somehow train folks like they do at Southwest, it might work better. Everyone flying Southwest seems to know the drill and there's not the same level of chaos at AA gates.
Yes, I think the numbered system helps. People perceive their position within a group as unfair, so their objective (in absence of a number within a group) is to get to the front. Still, even three sets of ropes (1-4) (5-6) and (7+) would help avoid pure chaos.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:51 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Anyone with an AAdvantage account can board in Group 6, so anyone you see in groups 7 - 9 are either not signed up for any loyalty program or non-elite members in a partner program.

The larger overhead bins that can fit a full sized carry-on per passenger on the Oasis/Kodiak aircraft have helped, but until those are on every aircraft folks are going to want to get on the aircraft first to secure bin space.

The holdrooms in many airports are also too small for the modern narrowbodies that hold just under 200 people, which contributes to gate crowding issues.
Fly2Connect and sdsearch like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
The real problem is the gate agents. I travel through many different airports (including all the major hubs) and for the most part they just dont give a crap if group 9's board when they call group 1.
thelark, asnovici and AAdamE like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I don't think I would do it for 1000 miles.
Fly2Connect and FAA1996 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EP
Take a look here, gate agents really don't care about boarding groups

https://www.reddit.com/r/americanair...k_me_anything/
Uzzar likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:25 pm
Suspended

If there was a way for people to line up before boarding starts- or at least to have Concierge Keys and Group 1 line up in the priority lane before boarding starts- that would help.

Without that, before boarding, we in Group 1 just inch towards the boarding lane, all taking up unnecessary space in the gate area.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
A flyer in group 9 is unlikely to care about miles.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAdamE
I know 100 miles is negligible, but just finding gate crowding to be a safety issue, especially at old ORD. I'm petty, and I do look at people's boarding passes to see the group, and I'm sorry if you're 8 or 9 you need to not be standing near the rope entrance, maybe at least 5 feet back. AA clearly backed down from any punitive measures as they generate conflict, so maybe they can try some positive reinforcement. Thoughts?
I’m CK, and my preference for boarding is “group 10.”

I don’t travel with over-sized luggage. I rarely book bulkhead seats. I don’t enjoy boarding early and just sitting there while everyone else shuffles past.

Perhaps just as importantly, I hate being at the mercy of the flight attendants for a potential PDB (the inconsistency really kills the benefit).

I’ll either be rushing through TSA to be one of the last on the plane, or I’ll be enjoying a drink in the lounge and will know exactly how long it takes me to get to the gate from there.

The boarding rush to the gate is for amateurs.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 11:43 pm

Maybe just do like many other countries and do away with boarding groups. It's just a first-come first-served line and you pitch a tent and start lining up the night before like you're waiting for Taylor Swift tickets to go on sale.
zip10001 and testycal like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I recently had Attila The Gate Agent, and let me tell you, Mrs. Attila was 100% monitoring group numbers. "Pre-boarding, ladies and gentlemen. Anyone who needs a wheelchair or special assistance, you may pre-board now." Then fiercely she added, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I HAVE NOT CALLED ANY GROUP NUMBERS YET! Please do not approach the gate!" Then she went through CK. No one moved. So she went to Group 1 and active military and added, "Again, ladies and gentlemen, I have ONLY called Group 1. Unless you are in Group 1 or are active military, please stand back and do not approach the gate, or you will delay the boarding process. We will be checking group numbers!"

I was group 2. This was a 787, and as a PP, I had a MCE that was essentially a PE seat since it was a domestic flight. I almost ran to the boarding area--not out of boarding desperation. I needed away from this woman. She had not shut up about group numbers, gate crowding, and how fanny packs were a personal item, bringing our total to three--oh, and if we were in Group 9, our carry-ons WOULD ABSOLUTELY BE CHECKED, and there would be no repacking at the gate so do it right now! (She was definitely speaking in all caps, by the way.) I wanted on that plane before my face spoke what my mouth wasn't.

By the way, no one had been crowding the gate, for once. No one was acting like a middle schooler, but she was acting like we were a class of ill-behaved ones. It was the worst. There are very good reasons to board ASAP. She was one of them.

I appreciated boarding groups mattering, but frankly, being basically scolded when no one--not a single passenger--was doing anything out of sorts--for at least 30-40 minutes was horrible. I would NOT have taken any miles to board in a later group and listen to her anymore.
Everyone else was lovely, passengers, other people at the gate working for AA, and FAs and pilots. Apart from her it was a lovely flight.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by metallo
I’m CK, and my preference for boarding is “group 10.”

I don’t travel with over-sized luggage. I rarely book bulkhead seats. I don’t enjoy boarding early and just sitting there while everyone else shuffles past.

Perhaps just as importantly, I hate being at the mercy of the flight attendants for a potential PDB (the inconsistency really kills the benefit).

I’ll either be rushing through TSA to be one of the last on the plane, or I’ll be enjoying a drink in the lounge and will know exactly how long it takes me to get to the gate from there.

The boarding rush to the gate is for amateurs.
100% agree, I will never understand why an *earlier* group number is desirable. One of the best features of domestic F, not even advertised, is that you can board last and your bag will be accommodated. That is pleasantly (surprisingly?) consistent on AA.
The only time I board early is on intl F.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 1:38 am

It doesn’t matter what group they are in. They will still stand right up at the entrance no matter what you tell them. If AA cared about crowding they would let everyone check a bag. That takes so much time and the bags take up so much space. Fly on southwest, it’s insane how fast the planes board and unload
Old Dec 3, 2022, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
100% agree, I will never understand why an *earlier* group number is desirable. One of the best features of domestic F, not even advertised, is that you can board last and your bag will be accommodated. That is pleasantly (surprisingly?) consistent on AA.
The only time I board early is on intl F.
I prefer to board as early as I can for one big reason: seat squatters.

Too often, if you get on a flight near the end of the boarding process, someone else will be sitting in your assigned seat. This can usually (but not always) be resolved by asking them to move, or getting the flight attendant involved, but it is a total PITA to do so.

If I'm one of the first people on board, that makes it less likely someone will be in my seat, and there will be more time to escalate the problem before the door closes if someone does decide to be a squatter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.