Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How did we take off during a ground stop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec

Not specifically an AA question, but I was flying AA so I will start here. Curious about something. I flew to MSP today, which had a big snowstorm.

There was first a ground delay, then a ground stop. Ground stop was scheduled to end at 3:30 ET. We boarded plane before this. Shortly before we departed gate, ground stop was extended to 4:30 ET.

I assumed we would not leave gate. I was pleasantly surprised when we did. We took off before 3:30, which was before the original expiration time of the ground stop.

As a layman, I am guessing that there are “exceptions”? I am just curious, if anyone in the industry can explain how this actually works. The language on the FAA site made it sound like “no one is allowed to take off to this airport”. But, there must be some grey area?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
The ground stop was probably lifted and the cabin crew just didn't bother to announce it.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Was the ground stop in effect for all departure airports?

If the snow was expected to be over and the airfield cleared in an hour, it's possible the FAA might have only stopped traffic originating from Minneapolis (ZMP) and adjacent ATC enroute center airspaces like ZAU, ZDV, ZKC.

I've also seen carrier specific ground stops. Any chance it was only DL flights?
Tanic and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:53 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Many possibilities. But it's not uncommon for a ground stop to be issued by ATC, with an 'expected' end time, but many factors can change that allow the aircraft to depart (or expect further delay...). In your case, they may have allowed the departure to proceed to MSP because it was expected the conditions would be safe enough to land by the time of your expected arrival. How was it there once you arrived?
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Herb687
Was the ground stop in effect for all departure airports?

If the snow was expected to be over and the airfield cleared in an hour, it's possible the FAA might have only stopped traffic originating from Minneapolis (ZMP) and adjacent ATC enroute center airspaces like ZAU, ZDV, ZKC.

I've also seen carrier specific ground stops. Any chance it was only DL flights?
As best I could tell from the FAA site, it was for most of the country. There were a lot of those “Z” codes and the map had most of the country highlighted. Also no mention of specific carriers.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
Many possibilities. But it's not uncommon for a ground stop to be issued by ATC, with an 'expected' end time, but many factors can change that allow the aircraft to depart (or expect further delay...). In your case, they may have allowed the departure to proceed to MSP because it was expected the conditions would be safe enough to land by the time of your expected arrival. How was it there once you arrived?
there was a lot of snow here but the landing seemed normal. I think MSP has snow operations pretty well oiled just because it’s something they deal with more than most airports.
becks1 and Uzzar like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
It may have been lifted early and it took the FAA a while to update their website. They tend to change at a moment's notice.

Rest assured that the ATC would not have let the plane take off if there was a full ground stop in effect. It just wouldn't happen.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: none
It's obvious that a ground stop was NOT in effect at the time you took off. If you heard otherwise, I would question your source.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
It's obvious that a ground stop was NOT in effect at the time you took off. If you heard otherwise, I would question your source.
My source was https://nasstatus.faa.gov

not only did it state a ground stop was in effect, but several minutes before we left the gate it was updated and showed the stop extended for an additional hour.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:35 pm

From https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...ection_13.html (emphasis mine)

Ground stop(s) (GS) override all other traffic management initiatives. Aircraft must not be released from a GS without the approval of the originator of the GS.
  1. GENERAL
The GS is a process that requires aircraft that meet a specific criteria to remain on the ground. The criteria may be airport specific, airspace specific, or equipment specific; for example, all departures to San Francisco, or all departures entering Yorktown sector, or all Category I and II aircraft going to Charlotte.
The term "stop" may be deceiving, but it's not as absolute as it sounds.

Edit to add: Since you mention the ground stop ended at 4:30 ET I assume it was this one:
https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_othe...eDate=11/29/22
DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (Manual) ZLA ZAU ZLC ZDC ZNY ZFW ZOB ZDV ZOA
ZSE ZBW ZKC ZME ZID ZAB ZMP CYHZ CYOW CYUL CYYZ CYQB CYTZ CYYC CYEG
CYLW CYYJ CYVR

Last edited by _kurt; Nov 30, 2022 at 9:14 pm
Old Dec 1, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Where did you depart from? If you departed from CLT, they are not part of the Ground Stop (if it was the one posted above) as they are controlled by ZTL and are not included in the stop. This would also apply if departing MIA, as ZMA is not part of the stop. If you departed PHL or DFW the stop should have applied.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Where did you depart from? If you departed from CLT, they are not part of the Ground Stop (if it was the one posted above) as they are controlled by ZTL and are not included in the stop. This would also apply if departing MIA, as ZMA is not part of the stop. If you departed PHL or DFW the stop should have applied.
this was at PHL
Old Dec 2, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LPCJr
this was at PHL
Yeah, if that was the ground stop as stated above, you shouldn't have gone. You also could have slipped through the cracks. It does happen and then they just let them keep going and take other action if needed when they get closer.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
A "Ground Stop" is an ATC tool to keep air traffic at manageable levels. When there is a ground stop in place for an airport, aircraft destined for that airport are not supposed to depart until the ground stop is lifted/expires. This doesn't preclude ATC from making exceptions as needed. It is difficult to say what happened in your particular circumstance, but there are several possibilities that are more likely than others such as dispatch calling ATC and begging to get a particular flight off the ground for some logistical reason, someone on your flight knew someone in the ATC system and was able to negotiate a release, or someone in the tower at your departure airport screwed up and released your flight while the GS was in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.