Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flagship Check-in, Lounges open at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Flagship Check-in, Lounges open at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:35 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
Flying out today to GRU just in economy but Qatar Platinum. Will be interetsing to see what happens with the whole checkin and lounge experience.
QR Plat = OWE, so given that there is a clear logo on the entrance sign, you should have no problem entering the respective lounge(s).
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Is there clarity on whether an Exec Plat in domestic transcon Business (JFK-LAX) would qualify for the Soho lounge? I would have thought no way for a non-international trip, but the photos from outside the lounges seem to suggest eligibility on any Flagship Itinerary, and I thought JFK-LAX was a flagship route? Maybe I am misunderstanding things.

https://thepointsguy.global.ssl.fast...jpg?width=1920
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
It looks like the two top lounges (Chelsea and Soho) are no longer self-serve drinks meaning people have to wait inline for service. I hate that as if you get behind someone who wants a complicated cocktail, it can take 2-3 minutes. If you just want wine and are in a hurry to get some work done, it's frustrating. Anyone know if the Greenwich lounge is still self-service?

BA lounges are typically self-serve so it's strange AA/BA chose this route for the combined premium lounges.
BA's top lounges (CCR in both LHR and till tonight JFK) have never been self-served, nor is FFD, so not particularly surprising that the Chelsea lounge which is the equivalent of those two should have a manned bar too. That said, from the images, I am not clear whether the wine tables in both Chelsea and Soho are indeed manned or will be self-service.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
Flying out today to GRU just in economy but Qatar Platinum. Will be interetsing to see what happens with the whole checkin and lounge experience.
As a QR plat too, we *should* have access to both the F Checkin area and the Soho lounge, but you never know with being AA consistently inconsistent. Def report back if you can as I have a few ex-JFK short haul routes coming up and would love to use both new facilities
Old Nov 30, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
If I'm flying flagship first same-day (from BOS to LAX) but obviously connecting in BOS first, would I have access to Chelsea lounge? Or do I have to be departing from JFK in transcon / intl F?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:13 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is the new J check in area for those flying domestically with Priority Access as well, or are there still separate regular priority check in desks?
Flying JFK-MIA tomorrow as an EXP. Just curious as to where I go to check my bag now.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by orbitmic
BA's top lounges (CCR in both LHR and till tonight JFK) have never been self-served, nor is FFD, so not particularly surprising that the Chelsea lounge which is the equivalent of those two should have a manned bar too. That said, from the images, I am not clear whether the wine tables in both Chelsea and Soho are indeed manned or will be self-service.
Great point! I often find service in CCR to be quite slow sometimes, and I only have less than an hour. I much prefer the option to self-serve (at least some things for myself). Id probably choose Greenwich just to grab a sparkling water and still water to go.
ryanbriar and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by ron187
If I'm flying flagship first same-day (from BOS to LAX) but obviously connecting in BOS first, would I have access to Chelsea lounge? Or do I have to be departing from JFK in transcon / intl F?
You should based on the current rules. I believe the link is a few posts up. I’d come prepared with your F boarding card and perhaps lead with that when scanned.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fender5787
As a QR plat too, we *should* have access to both the F Checkin area and the Soho lounge, but you never know with being AA consistently inconsistent. Def report back if you can as I have a few ex-JFK short haul routes coming up and would love to use both new facilities
Sorry should have made it clearer flying out tonight 30th Nov - it was pretty terrible as everything opens tomorrow.

There was a small temporary First + Business checkin manned by just 2 staff. Took around 30 mins to get checked in.
Then the Flagship lounge was shut because they're setting it for tomorrow - where I believe it becomes the Greenwich lounge? So they sent us to the Admirals club. Less I say about that the better. Although could get free alcohol at bar by showing boarding pass. Though the idea of even queuing and not having self-pour is something foreign to me (sad to say).

Good luck to anyone going from tomorrow. I think the checkin area looked tiny, especially if it's too be shared by American and BA - and I didn't understand how it was differentiated.
Also have no clue where the new high end lounges are, there was no signposting that I could see and I even walked around a bit and couldn't see anything waiting to be revealed.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Access flying flagship first

A little confused though maybe I shouldn’t be.

as I understand, flying flagship first from JFK-SFO would grant me Chelsea access - would that automatically include Soho access? In a strange way SoHo feels more appealing for the window views etc.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by whitf00t
A little confused though maybe I shouldn’t be.

as I understand, flying flagship first from JFK-SFO would grant me Chelsea access - would that automatically include Soho access? In a strange way SoHo feels more appealing for the window views etc.
Yes, with an F ticket you can access Chelsea, Soho, or Greenwich if you'd like. I agree re: the window situation (or lack thereof) in Chelsea.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
Is there clarity on whether an Exec Plat in domestic transcon Business (JFK-LAX) would qualify for the Soho lounge? I would have thought no way for a non-international trip, but the photos from outside the lounges seem to suggest eligibility on any Flagship Itinerary, and I thought JFK-LAX was a flagship route? Maybe I am misunderstanding things.

https://thepointsguy.global.ssl.fast...jpg?width=1920
I read in one of the blogs that had a painfully complex, detailed list - no. It is super confusing if “flagship” on that sign means “international flagship” (well, except for ticketed first). It’s a lot of confusion for anyone flying the transcons and IDK if it’s really worth annoying a small number of premium customers. Maybe since a lot of transcons depart with the European bank they are really worried about peak load.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Based on recent Flagship lounge visits, unless BA has forced AA’s hand regarding quality control, these new spaces will have little appeal. It’s easy to build out a space with attractive design elements—delivering quality product and service on a consistent basis is an entirely different exercise.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I read in one of the blogs that had a painfully complex, detailed list - no. It is super confusing if “flagship” on that sign means “international flagship” (well, except for ticketed first). It’s a lot of confusion for anyone flying the transcons and IDK if it’s really worth annoying a small number of premium customers. Maybe since a lot of transcons depart with the European bank they are really worried about peak load.
"Flagship" is AA's marketing term for premium routes that offer elevated amenities and lie-flat seats in the premium cabins. Most of them are, in fact, longhaul international, such as Europe, Asia, Oceania, and Deep South America.

However, there are some "Flagship"-marketed domestic routes, such as:
- JFK-SFO/LAX/SNA nonstop
- LAX-MIA nonstop (on 77W aircraft)
- DFW/ORD-Hawaii nonstop
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
You should based on the current rules. I believe the link is a few posts up. I’d come prepared with your F boarding card and perhaps lead with that when scanned.
Thanks!! Appreciate the help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.