Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flagship Check-in, Lounges open at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Flagship Check-in, Lounges open at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I definitely saw a big difference this evening at the former Flagship lounge at around 8pm , usually it was very nice and not too crowded at that time but it was really packed to the gills had to wait for a seat
going to have to start upgrading on the Jfk-Lax to First to use the Soho lounge in the future haha
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I definitely saw a big difference this evening at the former Flagship lounge at around 8pm , usually it was very nice and not too crowded at that time but it was really packed to the gills had to wait for a seat
going to have to start upgrading on the Jfk-Lax to First to use the Soho lounge in the future haha
You mean Chelsea.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:43 pm

Yeah now with BA in the mix i bet afternoons will be quieter or at least the same. Evenings will be way busier way BA has all their departures. Might want to avoid evening premium transcons if lounge space is your priority.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
You mean Chelsea.
I cant keep track of all this hazarai. Really stupid naming convention.
nk15, BlooJoo and FlyFreakquently like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 11:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
i've done premium check in on Cathay in Hong Kong when flying to JFK first class
Still mystified why "premium check in" is considered such a benefit as to be singled out as a perk, let alone needing a "review." (not meant as an insult, i'm just trying to understand.)
Yeah it's different and exclusive, but as an "experience" its so contrived. Oooooh maybe there are chairs...And a WALL. nicccccce. Really no better than a lobby at a hotel.
i mean really, the whole thing may last 5 minutes wherever you check in, even if you're among the great unwashed masses of humanity in biz or coach.
Why is this really "a thing" people care about? It's a big yawn for me. I'm just thinking about the long time in the lounge I'll get after checking my luggage, or the 10-15 hours in the air as an experience worth thinking about, certainly not the checking in.

what am i mising amidst the hype?
No one is forcing you to use it - the alternative of checking in with the unwashed masses (or rather, self check-in and bag tagging) is still available if you prefer to be with the people.

With that said, it's about the exclusivity and making things more elevated than typical airport experience, and taking a page from luxury hotels: Sit down to check in, having a porter taking your bags, and front of the line access to security. The only thing missing are the old ticket holders and lounge invitations.

The signs are a complete mess. I can’t believe some bozo approved then.
With the multilateral decision trees the entry, there is no amount of signage real estate that would cover all basis, unless they are reprinting the rules from the website in 5 point font.
ryanbriar and BlooJoo like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I cant keep track of all this hazarai. Really stupid naming convention.
At least AA still calls Business Class Business Class.
ryanbriar and nk15 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
I posted my “review” of Soho on the BA forum, but a few items relevant for this group.

- No pushback entering the premium check in when stating that I’m an EP on an international itinerary. It dumps you by TSA where the old Flagship dumped you. It was also 10:30 am and not “prime time”.

- Scanned my domestic BP (lead in sector for the international flight - same PNR), and after about 30 seconds, I was welcomed in.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
EXP flying IB J

Am I correct in assuming that an AA EXP flying IB J would have access to Soho and could bring along a non-status companion also flying IB J?

Also could we use Flagship check-in once we have boarding passes just to skip to the front of the security line?

Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by njvandy
Am I correct in assuming that an AA EXP flying IB J would have access to Soho and could bring along a non-status companion also flying IB J?

Also could we use Flagship check-in once we have boarding passes just to skip to the front of the security line?

Thanks
Yes and yes. Not sure what you mean by “skip to the front of the line.” You can go through Flagship Checkin (or whatever it’s called now) and go to security through whatever line that feeds into. You can't cut in front of any line.
njvandy likes this.

Last edited by BlooJoo; Dec 22, 2022 at 8:11 am
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
First time through JFK today post BA integration. What a mess. I went into the "flagship checkin and it was lines galore. I tagged my own bag to move things along, not exactly a premium experience. I only had access to the Greenwich (business) lounge and it feels like quite a downgrade versus the previous flagship lounge offerings.

How does Soho (or whatever the emerald lounge is) compare to the previous flagship?
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
First time through JFK today post BA integration. What a mess. I went into the "flagship checkin and it was lines galore. I tagged my own bag to move things along, not exactly a premium experience. I only had access to the Greenwich (business) lounge and it feels like quite a downgrade versus the previous flagship lounge offerings.

How does Soho (or whatever the emerald lounge is) compare to the previous flagship?
The Flagship check-in you’re referring to is the one to the right of the premium check-in wing (aka the one for F, OWEs, CKs and EP / PPROs on international flights), right. If so, that doesn’t surprise me given the uptick in volume.

I visited Soho in the late morning / early afternoon so not a representative sample how it would be during TATL peak times, but it’s a bit of a nicer space with the furniture, layout etc. Based on reports from peak times, it seems equally as overrun (worse than the legacy FL) and the F&B seem to currently be very similar, outside of being able to do table ordering in certain areas. (Example, despite blogger reviews, Piper is on offer versus some sort of elevated champagne.)

There is also a bar versus self-service. I’d personally like to see a self-service option (even if just for wine and champagne) as having a few bartenders to serve that volume of people seems like a disaster. It’s a nice premium touch, but it shouldn’t be the only option. It appears they’re equipped for it, and they have counterspace for the liquor:

work2fly likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
HI guys, quick question, I will be flying on Flagship Transcon First red eye from LAX into JFK, then connecting to MIA, do I get to use the FL lounge during my connection time at JFK? THX. (sorry if I posted in the wrong thread)
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Yes and yes. Not sure what you mean by “skip to the front of the line.” You can go through Flagship Checkin (or whatever it’s called now) and go to security through whatever line that feeds into. You can cut in front of any line.
My understanding is that there is no TSA-pre through the flagship check in? So, if you have have done OLCI and you are HBO, is it even worth it going via the flagship check in? Or is there a TSA pre line outside that can move faster?
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by 350zrx330
HI guys, quick question, I will be flying on Flagship Transcon First red eye from LAX into JFK, then connecting to MIA, do I get to use the FL lounge during my connection time at JFK? THX. (sorry if I posted in the wrong thread)
Yes, coming off LAX-JFK in F you can use either Chelsea or Soho at JFK (there is no more Flagship Lounge).
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, coming off LAX-JFK in F you can use either Chelsea or Soho at JFK (there is no more Flagship Lounge).
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.